The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

My only doubt is that maybe we've heard Gav Reilly is talking to people on PCAs so we're looking at longer-term strikers, or we've able to bring in a decent wide player who can share duties with Morgan for now and then replace him next season.

All depends on who is/are his suitor(s). I presume we're offering/offered him an extension, but I wouldn't really blame him for choosing the PCA.

All that matters is that he keeps his form, if he does we'll be looking at a title and an improved budget, if he doesn't and he fades then we wouldn't have wanted him to sign that extension anyway.

The lad has been in sparkling form, and considering he can be a bit marmite depending on the club (great for us, terrible for Dunfermline) you'd think he'd take up the option of an extension (again, presuming we have).

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's interesting - I'm genuinely not sure where a couple of 'biggies' would fit in the team. Obviously you always find room for a great player, and you never know what injuries we might pick up. Plus, if we got pipped to first place you'd need strength in depth for the playoffs - our squad is definitely paper thin in terms of true first-team talent now.

My only doubt is that maybe we've heard Gav Reilly is talking to people on PCAs so we're looking at longer-term strikers, or we've able to bring in a decent wide player who can share duties with Morgan for now and then replace him next season.

Pretty sure Reilly will sign a new deal with us if we get promoted. If we don't he won't be stuck for offers.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

A lot of that you would have expected, but still for all Ross was saying about this not being as busy as his last transfer window, that is quite a lot of movement.

It is. Of all the players in the OUT list though, only Morgan is really significant in terms of our stating XI, and he obviously came straight back in so no impact.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see JK moving out on loan too.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's interesting - I'm genuinely not sure where a couple of 'biggies' would fit in the team. Obviously you always find room for a great player, and you never know what injuries we might pick up. Plus, if we got pipped to first place you'd need strength in depth for the playoffs - our squad is definitely paper thin in terms of true first-team talent now.

Centre mid - a defensive one - and a taller striker/winger with more pace and mobility than Sutton would be my guess. It's a squad game, so if players come in and push one or two onto the bench then it's up to them to rise to the challenge. I'd be confident of Jack getting the right players in, and happy that the guys in the team right now have the character to fight for their place.

6 minutes ago, Div said:

It is. Of all the players in the OUT list though, only Morgan is really significant in terms of our stating XI, and he obviously came straight back in so no impact.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see JK moving out on loan too.

Surprised Kirkpatrick hasn't gone out on loan already. Out of the picture really since Magennis came back, and probably moreso when Todd regains fitness.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Very true, and there is room for more as well. We've been lucky we haven't had significant injuries in the midfield as players like Hilson, Stewart, Kirkpatrick, Todd and several others just haven't stepped up - for various reasons.

It's going to be interesting to see just what sort of level Ross is going to bring in. Most of it will need to be cover, but hopefully pushing for starting places quality. I wonder if United's injury crisis which forced Lazlo's hand in the transfer market might be encouraging us to push hard in this window too.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Very true, and there is room for more as well. We've been lucky we haven't had significant injuries in the midfield as players like Hilson, Stewart, Kirkpatrick, Todd and several others just haven't stepped up - for various reasons.

It's going to be interesting to see just what sort of level Ross is going to bring in. Most of it will need to be cover, but hopefully pushing for starting places quality. I wonder if United's injury crisis which forced Lazlo's hand in the transfer market might be encouraging us to push hard in this window too.

We need to be targetting players who will be pushing to start. No point in bringing guys in with the prospect of being on the bench, as we could end up with more of the same. 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

We need to be targetting players who will be pushing to start. No point in bringing guys in with the prospect of being on the bench, as we could end up with more of the same. 

GLS said that in his interview as well. 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Surprised Kirkpatrick hasn't gone out on loan already. Out of the picture really since Magennis came back, and probably moreso when Todd regains fitness.

Think he's currently injured. Explains why he's not been on the bench lately as we have had no central midfield cover among the subs other than kids like Erhahon.

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Sounds good you have been reliable this season. 

Midfielder is a big signing if we get it over the line, would imagine he will be on a lot more than anything we can offer.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is Josh Todd still on the books? If so does he ever feature?

Recovering from surgery for a dislocated shoulder. 

Shame as he's really looked the part when we've seen him. Hopefully he'll be back in the next few weeks to provide an option. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is Josh Todd still on the books? If so does he ever feature?

Josh didn't feature too much as we had a winning team but due to injuries he got some game time and looked impressive then got injured himself.  Don't think we will be letting him go just yet but Jordan Kirkpatrick is well out the picture so he may be next to leave if as speculated we are bringing in more midfielders.