The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

17 minutes ago, elvis said:

You are correct before end of season he told my son he wished he was back to help us out of the mess we got ourselves into.

Mallan coming back would be excellent business. You'd probably give Motherwell, Killie, Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone a shout too if you consider the size of club and area he'd be aiming for - he's not going to get a gig at any of the Edinburgh clubs or Aberdeen you wouldn't imagine.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mallan coming back would be excellent business. You'd probably give Motherwell, Killie, Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone a shout too if you consider the size of club and area he'd be aiming for - he's not going to get a gig at any of the Edinburgh clubs or Aberdeen you wouldn't imagine.

Great, now I've got visions of us playing a midfield of MacPherson, Mallan and Crawford.

Softest midfield any team has ever had.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Great, now I've got visions of us playing a midfield of MacPherson, Mallan and Crawford.

If you put Mallan in the side with the expectation that he's not going to be physical and get others players around him who can be, he'd be good. 

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mallan playing beside the Liam Craig and Murray Davidson of 5 years ago would be some midfield. 

12 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Are you on the wind up ?  What exactly is incredible I take what was said to me at face value. .  You think it's pish fine .

The issue lies in then passing on that info as fact, without qualification or disclaimers. A bit of gossip you've heard from Jim McAllister is absolutely welcome here. It's a great bit of info, and fair play to you for passing it on to us. But have the sense to position it as such.

14 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Are you on the wind up ?  What exactly is incredible I take what was said to me at face value. .  You think it's pish fine .

I was told a couple of weeks after Robinson came in it was going to happen. The only stipulation at that point was that we mustn't get relegated. Possibly something could have changed but we will need to wait and see.

23 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

You stated on here a couple of days ago that Davis was signing for St. Mirren, named your source, that you trusted him etc. All very cocksure of yourself and your source...the next piece of information you've said, from the same source is now actually not that he's signing, but has a contract on the table that he's considering.

The incredible part in particular is that when I pointed out there is a massive difference between 'Davis is signing' and 'Davis has an offer on the table', instead of putting your hands up and admitting you've shot your bolt WAAAAY too early, you instead decide to tell me 'believe what you want' despite you being the person who offered up the wrong information in the first place.

That's what's incredible. That you somehow think it's my fault for you willfully and without prompt posting this as 100% fact when it's clearly not. If you'd said a few days ago that someone had told you there was a contract on the table and was possible, then fine but you didn't and you've got angry at me pointing this out.

Hope that clears up my standpoint on this.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I can’t see Davis signing for us tbh. If it’s a players coaching role then maybe. If it’s about wages then we will be miles down the list of clubs looking to get him for next season.

Do we have the budget to bring in someone else on a 'coaching role' whether it be player/coach or just coach? 
I am not sure what the deal is with Flynn, though I know he is focusing on doing his badges whilst playing. Is there a position at the club for him once he has the required badges too?

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

Do we have the budget to bring in someone else on a 'coaching role' whether it be player/coach or just coach? 
I am not sure what the deal is with Flynn, though I know he is focusing on doing his badges whilst playing. Is there a position at the club for him once he has the required badges too?

I’m surprised we kept Flyniesta on. Perhaps he is on a reduced contract with a view to get him to help with the younger players. I still feel that our young players would develop far better if there was still a reserve league where they could play alongside older pros.

10 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It’s gonna be a long summer.

Transfers rumours should be exactly that. Rumours. Always best never to name your source. 

Can you imagine if anyone had ever hinted that there was a chance of signing Ronaldinho back in the Hendrie era?

Wasn’t there another great St Mirren transfer disaster that involved Aston Villa, Alan McInally, and some other Villa striker either getting sent off and banned, or seriously injured, in a pre-season friendly? Without Googling or anything to see if it throws anything up, somehow I seem to remember it ended up with us not getting a player who was definitely meant to be signing.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Wasn’t there another great St Mirren transfer disaster that involved Aston Villa, Alan McInally, and some other Villa striker either getting sent off and banned, or seriously injured, in a pre-season friendly? Without Googling or anything to see if it throws anything up, somehow I seem to remember it ended up with us not getting a player who was definitely meant to be signing.

It was meant to be Alan McInally we were getting. The story went that Villa had agreed a deal in principle with us and played us in a pre-season game that got pretty meaty. Warren Aspinall who played in that game for Villa (and was a horrible dirty b*****d) ended up doing one of our players by stamping on his foot or shin and Graham Taylor, who had already put him on his last warning with regards to discipline, was so angry with him he sold him and McInally started playing more games. So yeah, us arranging a friendly with a team we were meant to be getting player from, led to us not getting the player due to his team-mate's arseholery.

We've had a few to be fair. 

Ian Harte turning back at Gretna services.
Knocking back a young David Platt and Ally McCoist.
Roy Dayan coming over for a trial, looking pretty tasty and then his club only then telling us they wanted £500k for him.
Oleg Blokhin and Ozzie Ardiles
Keith Wright and Tommy Coyne were both agreed in a double deal from Dundee in late 80s and they bagged their manager and put the blocks on it.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

A topical one I vaguely recall is we were due to get Mark Noble on loan in about 2007 but it got nixed as West Ham had an injury crisis.

Andy Carroll as well at one point was rumoured before he broke into the Newcastle side.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The issue lies in then passing on that info as fact, without qualification or disclaimers. A bit of gossip you've heard from Jim McAllister is absolutely welcome here. It's a great bit of info, and fair play to you for passing it on to us. But have the sense to position it as such.

Jim knows I'm a bud just passed on what he said regarding Davis could be heading to Paisley. The exact words were Davis going to Saints big man.  Have not used the word fact he will be a Saints player. Also wrote there must be a deal on the table which there must be if we are interested.  Only Davis knows if it's good enough or not. Jim lives near the training ground in Ralston  so any Buds see him in Paisley feel free to ask him he is a sound guy.  McCoist wants him to stay at Rangers , Motherwell are waiting in the wings we now know .  So we will learn the outcome soon enough. 

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

A topical one I vaguely recall is we were due to get Mark Noble on loan in about 2007 but it got nixed as West Ham had an injury crisis.

I think it was because they had sacked Alan Pardew and appointed Alan Curbishley in December 2006. Curbishley wanted to get a measure of all of the squad so stopped the deal.

That was according to a mate who worked for the Daily Record sports section.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It was meant to be Alan McInally we were getting. The story went that Villa had agreed a deal in principle with us and played us in a pre-season game that got pretty meaty. Warren Aspinall who played in that game for Villa (and was a horrible dirty b*****d) ended up doing one of our players by stamping on his foot or shin and Graham Taylor, who had already put him on his last warning with regards to discipline, was so angry with him he sold him and McInally started playing more games. So yeah, us arranging a friendly with a team we were meant to be getting player from, led to us not getting the player due to his team-mate's arseholery.

We've had a few to be fair. 

Ian Harte turning back at Gretna services.
Knocking back a young David Platt and Ally McCoist.
Roy Dayan coming over for a trial, looking pretty tasty and then his club only then telling us they wanted £500k for him.
Oleg Blokhin and Ozzie Ardiles
Keith Wright and Tommy Coyne were both agreed in a double deal from Dundee in late 80s and they bagged their manager and put the blocks on it.

...... and Mahrez stealing a bike. The Wright and Coyne deal would have been amazing. 

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Warren Aspinall who played in that game for Villa (and was a horrible dirty b*****d) ended up doing one of our players by stamping on his foot or shin ...

Jings, I remember being at that pre-season "friendly". Totally unprovoked, Aspinall stuck the studs into one of our players  (can't remember who).

Off topic, I seem to remember another pre-season fixture (similar era) against Oxford United where their thuggery was breathtaking. Does anyone else remember this game or has my dementia revisited me ?