The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I remember Thommo being on the radio, I presume it was Off the Ball, where the theme of the day was asking everyone who their favourite Irishmen were. 

Even the prompting of the presenters couldn't get him to add Goodwin to his list, after he hadn't mentioned him in his initial answer😀, which I found intereting at the time.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Goodwin said once in an interview that he felt Ethan was too immature around the training ground.

Both Danny Mullen and Cammy MacPherson fell into that category apparently.

So glad that this led to MacPherson's exit, given the pain that he's causing the Fakes fans at the moment. The fact that we got money for him is even more amusing.

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I remember Thommo being on the radio, I presume it was Off the Ball, where the theme of the day was asking everyone who their favourite Irishmen were. 

Even the prompting of the presenters couldn't get him to add Goodwin to his list, after he hadn't mentioned him in his initial answer😀, which I found intereting at the time.

I found it interesting yesterday that the handshake between McManus and Goodwin at the end of the game was so stony-faced. No words exchanged. Made me wonder what their working relationship was like.

Frankly, I’d be more surprised if I read that a football manager was universally liked by all his players and staff, and everyone got on like a house on fire. If there was friction between Goodwin and a few people, that is par for the course in any place of employment. Anyone reading this want to have a wee think about some of your experiences in your own place of employment!? The gossip in the work canteen, the bitching and back-stabbing?! Takes me back just thinking about it…. still wondering why nobody liked me. 😄

On the playing side of things, I’d be pretty happy if we kept Gogic, Erhahon and Main for next season. I just have the feeling that aside from being a decent player, Erhahon is in that ‘Murray and Van Zanten’ bracket, where St Mirren is just the right club for them to be at.

Edited by pozbaird

Following the conclusion of the 2021/22 season, the club can provide supporters with an update on the squad.

Ryan Flynn has agreed a one-year contract extension as has goalkeeper Peter Urminsky, while an offer has been made to Alex Gogic following the expiry of his loan agreement.

St Mirren Youth Academy graduates Kieran Offord and Dean McMaster will also move up to the first-team on a permanent basis next season, while Fraser Taylor has been offered a first-team contract.

We can confirm that Alan Power, Kyle McAllister, Matt Millar and Josh Jack will leave the club following the expiry of their contracts, while Connor Ronan and Jordan Jones have returned to their parent clubs Wolverhampton Wanderers and Wigan Athletic respectively. We thank them all immensely for their contributions to St Mirren and wish them all the best for their future.

Offers were made to Jak Alnwick and Conor McCarthy following the expiry of their contracts, however, both have decided that their future lies elsewhere and they too leave with our best wishes.

The club is working hard to add to the core of players already at the squad and will continue to update supporters as this progresses.

9 minutes ago, AW saint said:

To be honest I would have let Flynn and Tait go as well. Still hoping we get a bid for Ethan. Delighted Urminsky is being retained. Would love to see how good this lad is. 

Tait would have definitely been at risk if he hadn't signed his 1 year extension just before Goodwin departed.

Flynn won't ever be anything now than a last 15-20 minute player most weeks but he's 100% reliable at doing that so definitely OK with him staying.

McCarthy going is a bit of a disappointment and I'm very surprised at us outwardly announcing Gogic as a player we've offered a deal to considering he's not actually our player.

Fairly happy with that. Hope McAllister gets a decent club, although his time at Partick would suggest he might find it tough. There's a player in there though and on his day he's a good player to watch. 

Would've liked to have kept McCarthy, this time last had he left I'd have expected him to step up a level but he's had a stop start season. Maybe Aberdeen or the likes of Motherwell or Hibs might take a punt on him. 

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Tait would have definitely been at risk if he hadn't signed his 1 year extension just before Goodwin departed.

Flynn won't ever be anything now than a last 15-20 minute player most weeks but he's 100% reliable at doing that so definitely OK with him staying.

McCarthy going is a bit of a disappointment and I'm very surprised at us outwardly announcing Gogic as a player we've offered a deal to considering he's not actually our player.

Hibs have or are about to free him( Gogic).

Really glad Flynn’s getting another year. I’m guessing Robinson prefers Dunne to McCarthy so he might not have been guaranteed playing time and he’s been poor for most of this season anyway. Gogic is a huge upgrade on Power so fingers crossed he’ll choose to stay.

McCarthy is a weird one. Excellent last year then he started this season fairly ropey. He picked up a nasty injury against Livi at home just before Christmas and never got anywhere near his form of last season. I don’t really know who would take a punt on him after this season. I can only think he could rock up at Aberdeen or in League Two down south.

Gogic would be a brilliant coup if we could get the deal done, but I can’t see it happening.

Fairly happy McAllister is away. Never rated him in his first stint with us and was surprised he got a move to the Championship. He did virtually nothing down there, due to injury, and when he came back I was less than enthused, despite the club and fans making a big song and dance about it. He’s done almost nothing since returning, I can probably count the number of good games he’s had on one hand over the last 3 years. He’s still only 23, but as his loan at Thistle showed, I’m not sure he’s even a Championship player. He may well be turning up at an Airdrie etc next season.

Power was decent the first handful of games, but hasn’t really done much to impress overall. Coming up on 35, I’d have been ok to keep him as a squad player. No chance I’d have kept him as one of our preferred centre midfielders so not overly fussed that he’s gone.

I wouldn’t waste my time trying to convince Jones to come back. He was pish.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

From the post on social media, this is how I see the squad currently then, so thought I would post as might be totally wrong.

GKs
D. Lyness - GK - 2023
P. Urminský - GK - 2023

RWBs
R. Tait - RWB/LWB - 2023
J. Henderson - RWB/RW - 2023

CBs
M. Fraser - CB/RB - 2023
J. Shaughnessy - CB - 2023
C. Dunne - CB - 2023
D. Finlayson - CB/RB - 2023

LWBs
S. Tanser - LWB - 2024

CDMs
D. Reid - CDM/CM - 2023

CMs
E. Erhahon - CM - 2023

CAMs
G. Kiltie - CAM - 2023

ST
C. Main - ST - 2023
E. Brophy - ST - 2024
A. Greive - ST - 2023
L. Jamieson - ST - 2023

Youth Academy to 1st team
K. Offord
D. McMaster
F. Taylor

Extension signed
R. Flynn - Utility - 2023

Contract ending
1. J. Alnwick - GK
2. C. McCarthy - CB
3. A. Power - CDM
5. M. Millar - RWB

Loan ends
6. C. Ronan - CM
7. J. Jones - LW
8. A. Gogić - CDM

PCAs
1. T. Carson - GK - PCA
2. K. Baccus - CM/CDM - PCA
3. M. O'Hara - CDM/CM/CB - PCA
4. J. Ayunga - 24yo - RW/ST - PCA

Contract offered
A. Gogić - CDM

Fair to say then that Robinson's "heads turned", "pathetic defending" rant after 2-4 Motherwell was likely aimed at McCarthy? I reckon he'll be unveiled at Pittodrie pretty soon. 

Power also started that game so he could have been referring to him too. Alnwick was suspended.