The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Not going to lie, I always prefer a back 4. Problems with it? Sure. Will it succeed against the top teams? Nope, but we won't be playing them. All in all it just feels more "natural" to me.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He contributed very little but don't talk shite. 

Jones isn't even one of the worst St. Mirren players of the past 5 years much less the worst in memory.

He was fucking abysmal I have never ever come across a so called player who was more acquainted with the ground than he was with a ball .

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

He was fucking abysmal I have never ever come across a so called player who was more acquainted with the ground than he was with a ball .

He wasn't good by any measure. One of the worst we've EVER seen in a Saints shirt though?

Nah, that's pish.

1 minute ago, Captain Saintsible said:

With Curtis Main hitting the post tonight, surely time for @Ric to withdraw his criticism

Now, now.. Capt, you know how it goes, you stick to your guns even when wrong. Hell, you've built a career on here doing just that.. ;)

So, one relatively meaningless fixture to go to kill off this season. We've had plenty of ups and downs this year but happily our Premiership survival has been achieved, and we live to fight another Premiership season. 

Now there'll be a few weeks holiday followed  by a massively important close season for Steven Robinson, since potentially we will be faced with an even tougher league next season with Killie likely to be stronger than woeful Dundee, and surely Aberdeen and Hibs can't be as shit as they've been this season. So player recruitment will be key. 

But how many recruitment mistakes have been made in the past because recently incoming managers have the unfortunate habit of signing players they have worked with previously ? And how few of these recruits have transitioned successfully into our first team ?

For example, I'm thinking about Danny Lennon's glut of signings from Cowdenbeath. Darren McGregor (a success) and umpteen duds. Or Jack Ross's influx of Alloa signings. Any successes there?

So far SR has lined up four new players for next season, two being ex-Motherwell and one ex-Morecambe. A familiar pattern? Who knows, these might all turn out to be cracking signings (here's hoping), but I'm already concerned that we are fishing in a smaller pool than we ought to be. 

I hope the rest of our signing targets are more imaginative. 

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

For example, I'm thinking about Danny Lennon's glut of signings from Cowdenbeath. Darren McGregor (a success) and umpteen duds. Or Jack Ross's influx of Alloa signings. Any successes there?

One - Jordan Kirkpatrick - doesn't quite qualify as an 'influx'.

Think you might be meshing together Alloa and Albion who we signed both Ross Stewarts from. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So, one relatively meaningless fixture to go to kill off this season. We've had plenty of ups and downs this year but happily our Premiership survival has been achieved, and we live to fight another Premiership season. 

Now there'll be a few weeks holiday followed  by a massively important close season for Steven Robinson, since potentially we will be faced with an even tougher league next season with Killie likely to be stronger than woeful Dundee, and surely Aberdeen and Hibs can't be as shit as they've been this season. So player recruitment will be key. 

But how many recruitment mistakes have been made in the past because recently incoming managers have the unfortunate habit of signing players they have worked with previously ? And how few of these recruits have transitioned successfully into our first team ?

So far SR has lined up four new players for next season, two being ex-Motherwell and one ex-Morecambe. A familiar pattern? Who knows, these might all turn out to be cracking signings (here's hoping), but I'm already concerned that we are fishing in a smaller pool than we ought to be. 

I hope the rest of our signing targets are more imaginative. 

One of the 4 new signings is from Australia, surely qualifies as big pool / imaginative?

Carson, O’Hara and Auyunga are all experienced at a much higher level than Cowdenbeath and Alloa. 

Anyone hear anything on Flynn's injury? I'm assuming he is leaving at the end of the season, it would be a real shame if an injury caused him any issues getting a new club.

He's been a terrific player for St Mirren, would've been even better if it weren't for his injury problems.

19 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Anyone hear anything on Flynn's injury? I'm assuming he is leaving at the end of the season, it would be a real shame if an injury caused him any issues getting a new club.

He's been a terrific player for St Mirren, would've been even better if it weren't for his injury problems.

Sure he'll take a step down. Could imagine him doing a job for the likes of Partick, Raith or, at a push, Falkirk or Dunfermline.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

One - Jordan Kirkpatrick - doesn't quite qualify as an 'influx'.

Think you might be meshing together Alloa and Albion who we signed both Ross Stewarts from. :lol:

Your getting you're eras mixed up - it was JR who signed the RossStewarts - Danny Lennon signed 4 from Alloa during the Summer of Beath but only one (McGregor) was a success although Gareth Wardlaw did score the goal that kept us up in 2010/11.

Any romantic notions that Paul McQuade (born on the day we won the Scottish Cup against Dundee Utd.) would prove a lucky transfer were as wide of the mark as his few attempts on goal.

Edited by btb

27 minutes ago, btb said:

Your getting you're eras mixed up - it was JR who signed the RossStewarts - Danny Lennon signed 4 from Alloa during the Summer of Beath but only one (McGregor) was a success although Gareth Wardlaw did score the goal that kept us up in 2010/11.

Any romantic notions that Paul McQuade (born on the day we won the Scottish Cup against Dundee Utd.) would prove a lucky transfer were as wide of the mark as his few attempts on goal.

It’s you who is getting mixed up !

Think you’d better go back and re-read both posts then your own reply 😉

34 minutes ago, btb said:

If Lennon signed four from Alloa, why was it vcalled the Summer of Beath and not the summer of Alloa? :D

55 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sure he'll take a step down. Could imagine him doing a job for the likes of Partick, Raith or, at a push, Falkirk or Dunfermline.

Yeah, he will. I was just wondering how serious his injury was, as if it's bad he might not get a club.

49 minutes ago, btb said:

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

1 hour ago, btb said:

Wait.....what?

I know JR signed both Stewarts. He signed them from Albion though, not Alloa. JR's literal only signing from Alloa was Jordan Kirkpatrick.  Hardly an influx of Alloa players as the poster who made the point described it 

Also the summer of 'Beath. The clue is in the name as to where the four signings came from. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks