The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

Least exciting signing of the 4 to me. A quick look says he's hardly prolific. Not coming in to be first choice on the team sheet, You'd hope.

Decent enough age and has a relationship with Robinson though so at least there's that. Has also  already shown Robinson that he'll cover RW if needed. 

Watch him bang in 20+ goals including a hattrick against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final to make me look like a mug.

Have family season ticket holders at Morecambe will get some feedback and post it . 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Worth noting that Charles-Cook was pretty poor in his first season. A lot of players need some time to settle in and fans can often have them judged after a game or two.

I remember a player coming off the bench for his debut in the mid 90s. Within a few minutes, he'd taken a touch of the ball, lost his balance and fallen over. "HE'S SHITE", came a shout behind me. The player had been on the park for a matter of minutes. That player was Jim Gardner, so the moral of the story is that sometimes fans' early judgements are accurate.

A game or 2? Is this the same St Mirren I know. A minute or 2 would be more accurate!

2 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Morecambe are retaining Jon Obika but happy to release Jonah Ayunga. Does that tell us anything about the relative merits of the two players? 

No. Neither are being released as they both have a year on their deals remaining. Both were made available for transfer by the club and we've chosen to sign Ayunga. Simple as that, really.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Worth noting that Charles-Cook was pretty poor in his first season. A lot of players need some time to settle in and fans can often have them judged after a game or two.

I remember a player coming off the bench for his debut in the mid 90s. Within a few minutes, he'd taken a touch of the ball, lost his balance and fallen over. "HE'S SHITE", came a shout behind me. The player had been on the park for a matter of minutes. That player was Jim Gardner, so the moral of the story is that sometimes fans' early judgements are accurate.

Best one I remember was Steve Galloway coming over from Sweden, in the (good old?) days before the internet and no-one knew nothing about anything or anyone until they turned up in the stripes.

On the flip side, and I’m being absolutely honest - the first five minutes I saw of Greive, I thought ‘this lad has something about him’. I certainly wasn’t alone, if the reaction from those about me in the hallowed ground of W3 is anything to go by.

First and maybe last time I make a snap decision on an unknown Buddie and get it even remotely right. 😀

The only player I have hated immediately was Camara. An absolute charlatan of a player from the second he touched the ball to the minute he was papped out the club. Shocking signing, and I am still convinced that he has a twin brother that played for Celtic rather than him.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Best one I remember was Steve Galloway coming over from Sweden, in the (good old?) days before the internet and no-one knew nothing about anything or anyone until they turned up in the stripes.

On the flip side, and I’m being absolutely honest - the first five minutes I saw of Greive, I thought ‘this lad has something about him’. I certainly wasn’t alone, if the reaction from those about me in the hallowed ground of W3 is anything to go by.

First and maybe last time I make a snap decision on an unknown Buddie and get it even remotely right. 😀

I remember going to ER to see his debut and being really excited about his signing......... till he took his first touch. 

I may have sounded a little harsh, but my lack of excitement about the signing doesn't mean I don't necessarily think he'll do well, or that he shouldn't be signed etc.

When I looked him up he originally played as a CF before moving to Morecambe, where Robinson ended up playing him mostly as a Winger. Wasn't sure if that was out of necessity or changing his style of play. Thus why I looked at his goal return.

If he's going to continue to play wide right, he'll  be competing with Jay Henderson on the right wing for when we do play a formation that suits that position - which can only be good for Jay's development and is an area that we at least need options in.

I am curious as to how people think he'd fit into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 if that's going to be our default - will he take one of the front 2 spots and just naturally play the role wider, or will he take the wingback role? Is Robinson going in a different direction from those formations? We'll have to wait and see!

I hadn't spotted he's over 6ft. I wonder how his heading is :D

We've had pacy players in the past that have been all energy and no end product, looking at you Dylan Conolly. Exciting every time they get on the ball because they can get by a man, but you're going home disappointed 9 times out of 10.

I hope he and all the other signings work out great, and we can push on up the league next season!

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Charles-Cook was exactly who I was going to mention. Really athletic but looked as if he had never kicked a ball before in his life. 

Every signing is a risk. Goodwin preffered the tried and tested up here with the odd (more like half a dozen) Irish ballers thrown into the mix.

Robinson appears to prefer the lower leagues in England. We will be a bit sceptical as its not really a market we have had a lot of success in throughout the years.

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

The holy grail would be a Connolly type with an end product. I wonder where he ended up... :rolleyes:

Jordan Jones was the sort of player we should have went for, didn't work out sadly. He hardly kicked a ball all season when we signed him, that's the risk you take in January. Never looked fully fit and confident. Maybe with a good pre-season under his belt he'd no doubt be an asset in this league.

At our level with the wages we pay, we are not going to get the finished article, especially with wingers. So inconsistent. 

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Jordan Jones was the sort of player we should have went for, didn't work out sadly. He hardly kicked a ball all season when we signed him, that's the risk you take in January. Never looked fully fit and confident. Maybe with a good pre-season under his belt he'd no doubt be an asset in this league.

What was the script with Jones, I never kept up with it and he seemed to disappear from the team sheets. Just injury? Thought he did well when he played though.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

What was the script with Jones, I never kept up with it and he seemed to disappear from the team sheets. Just injury? Thought he did well when he played though.

He's back at Wigan now, injury seemingly but I'm not sure if Robinson ever fancied him.

Definitely doesn't fit his 3-5-2 

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seriously He was one of the worst players I have seen at St Mirren .

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Seriously He was one of the worst players I have seen at St Mirren .

He contributed very little but don't talk shite. 

Jones isn't even one of the worst St. Mirren players of the past 5 years much less the worst in memory.

2 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

If he's going to continue to play wide right, he'll  be competing with Jay Henderson on the right wing 

I am curious as to how people think he'd fit into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 if that's going to be our default - will he take one of the front 2 spots and just naturally play the role wider, or will he take the wingback role? 

He played on the left of a front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation at Morecambe under Robinson 

41 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He's back at Wigan now, injury seemingly but I'm not sure if Robinson ever fancied him.

Definitely doesn't fit his 3-5-2 

Robinson played 4-3-3 at Morecambe

My thinking is he switched to 3-5-2 with us because off the number of goals we were shipping.

He may go with 4-3-3 once he gets some of his own players in 

Robinson played 4-3-3 at Morecambe
My thinking is he switched to 3-5-2 with us because off the number of goals we were shipping.
He may go with 4-3-3 once he gets some of his own players in 

Think he’s gone with that system as it’s what currently suits the players at our disposal. Been working fine the past few games to be fair.