Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2021/22 thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Saturday saw Main's first league goal of the season.

M8J3tDe.png

Depends on your source:

image.png.a391e07565800b8bfbf4d08506f9bf46.png

He also scored a perfectly good goal against Celtic at Parkhead, which was incorrectly given as offside. For me Main is a good option to have in the squad, and it seems Goodwin and now Robinson agrees. He's not had a great season by any stretch, but he will be here next year and I can see him making a positive contribution, like he has in the last few games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Depends on your source:

image.png.a391e07565800b8bfbf4d08506f9bf46.png

He also scored a perfectly good goal against Celtic at Parkhead, which was incorrectly given as offside. For me Main is a good option to have in the squad, and it seems Goodwin and now Robinson agrees. He's not had a great season by any stretch, but he will be here next year and I can see him making a positive contribution, like he has in the last few games. 

Yeah, the BBC are wrong there. From memory all Main did was stand in the way of Lewis while the ball floated above both of them into the goal. Can't remember who it was that crossed it in, but they should have been credited. Presumably other sources agree. Not sure what went down in the official report, mind, perhaps the referee recorded it for Main (do refs record who scores? they must do, right?).

I mean, to be honest, arguing whether it was his first, or second, league goal after 35 games have been played, is not really enhancing his reputation.

 

Edit: I should add, if Main performs next season like he has in the last two games, then I have no issue with the guy. "issue" is the wrong word, I have no "issue" with the guy at all, I am looking at this whole situation utterly objectively, he simply hasn't provided the return.

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marcus Fraser scored that goal against Aberdeen. Goodwin only gave it to Main to boost his confidence. Fraser on Twitter was claiming the goal and trolling Main for trying to say he got a touch which he didn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, the BBC are wrong there. From memory all Main did was stand in the way of Lewis while the ball floated above both of them into the goal. Can't remember who it was that crossed it in, but they should have been credited.

Marcus Fraser .

Main also scored v Dunfermline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Marcus Fraser .

Main also scored v Dunfermline. 

Yeah, and Stenny, but both were in the cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I think we might stick with the 3-5-2 next season tbh. Tanser signing the new deal seems to suggest that to me, and Fraser looks so much better in the back three. I think we will be desperate to get in a Tanser type for the right hand side, and maybe another backup for the left. Means we will have Tanser, Fraser, Shaughnessy, Kiltie and Erhahon in the spots they look most comfortable (providing they all stay) and play a front two , which seems to suit all the strikers at the club.

I don't think we will sign a striker, I think Robinson will go with Brophy, Main and Greive with Offord and Jamieson backing them up. Mind you, I think Robinson's style is to have a big squad with plenty of competition for places and options. We are kind of used to Goodwin having one first pick and a couple of "utility" players filling in. I think we are going back to the Jack Ross days of hundreds of players in every position.

Good shout about the strikers, I'd temporarily forgotten those lads. I'd be happy running with them as the options. Brophy is injury prone, and there's an outside chance we could be losing Greive to the World Cup, so we'll need plenty cover.

The 3-5-2 is fine if we can make it work, which means Kiltie playing, and a proper RWB. They're hard to find, as we have discovered. 3-5-2 would be great news for some of those players you've mentioned, but not so much for Jay Henderson.

I think the main thing in manager's mind will be building some flexibility into the squad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding the Main situation and Ric's comments.

I made mention on Saturday to my mates that I recall Michael Higdon being roundly and soundly derided in his first season with us. He scored something like 3 in 34 games and was being mentioned to GTF ASAP. His following season he scored over 15 goals for us and by the time he moved onto Motherwell, we were desperate to see him stay.

It was a similar situation with Billy Mehmet. He was a joke figure. The season we won the 1st division, it was a running joke that he scored the winner against Dundee to secure the title, given it was like the 34th game of the season and his first goal. He went onto become a very pivotal player in our early SPL years.

Josh Magennis as well. A figure of fun at Aberdeen and utterly garbage in his loan spell with us and Scottish football roundly laughed at Kilmarnock giving him a three year deal - he's also gone on to carve out a very, very good career for himself.

I'm not saying Main is going to be the same but I think there are could be a slightly comparable situation that Main will prove to be worth much more than he's shown so far. He's never, ever going to be prolific. He doesn't have to be either...if we can put him out there to be a disruptive influence to an opposition back line, winning flick ons with his back to goal, coming deep and linking up for other players and generally being a big physical headache for defenders whilst chipping in with 6 or 7 goals a season, then that'll do for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not saying Main is going to be the same but I think there are could be a slightly comparable situation that Main will prove to be worth much more than he's shown so far. He's never, ever going to be prolific.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, twice, there. He could prove to be worth much more than he's shown so far, and he's never going to be prolific. However, to me, gambling on the redemption of a player who isn't going to score you goals is how I view that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head, twice, there. He could prove to be worth much more than he's shown so far, and he's never going to be prolific. However, to me, gambling on the redemption of a player who isn't going to score you goals is how I view that.

 

Understandable, Main comes across as honest as they come though.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/curtis-main-promises-st-mirren-26910323

He's in the PDE (apologies for linking to Record) today lamenting how rough this season has been for him on a personal level and that he's not been performing to level that he's happy with. It's a pretty honest self-assessment and respect to him for saying it when he could have said nothing and no-one would have uttered a word about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keeping Main feels like it becomes a bit less of a gamble if you have Greive and Brophy there, with the two young guys backing them up. Gives more flexibility and options. There were times this season where Main was the only option, and with his form being so bad it didn't do him any favours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Keeping Main feels like it becomes a bit less of a gamble if you have Greive and Brophy there, with the two young guys backing them up. Gives more flexibility and options. There were times this season where Main was the only option, and with his form being so bad it didn't do him any favours.

It'll help if his performances mean his selection/appearance on the touchline to be brought on doesn't prompt groans from the crowd. The more he can show what he is capable of, the more people will welcome him onto the pitch, and hopefully he'll be lifted by that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Yeah, and Stenny, but both were in the cup.

I know but you specifically and repeatedly said that was his  1st goal of the season with no mention of competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It'll help if his performances mean his selection/appearance on the touchline to be brought on doesn't prompt groans from the crowd. The more he can show what he is capable of, the more people will welcome him onto the pitch, and hopefully he'll be lifted by that.

Yeah, of course. I guess you could say that for every player tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I know but you specifically and repeatedly said that was his  1st goal of the season with no mention of competition.

I have been pretty clear in my criticism of Main that I've been referring to league goals, maybe not the most recent posts, but I didn't expect people to need to me to say it every single time. I presumed people knew the context, but fair enough I'll be clearer next time.

Even then, adding in a couple of cup goals against much poorer opposition, and for those goals to be almost a year apart to his 3rd goal, and only league goal, is hardly the stuff you put on your CV.

 

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Saturday saw Main's first league goal of the season.

M8J3tDe.png

No it wasn't. The bookies paid out and he was offically credited as the scorer. I was in the family stand that day and had money on him. There was some debate on here if he touched it or not. He did. Backwards head over the defender and their goalie, who had a fucking car-crash of a performance that game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

No it wasn't. The bookies paid out and he was offically credited as the scorer. I was in the family stand that day and had money on him. There was some debate on here if he touched it or not. He did. Backwards head over the defender and their goalie, who had a fucking car-crash of a performance that game. 

He never touched it, but you are right Lewis was having a howler.

Only the BBC seem to think Main is on 2 goals, most other sources have him on 1, but it's as I said to Lex whether it's one or two, that's not good enough over a season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Or... perhaps only a St Mirren fan could somehow hold onto the hope about a player who has failed to score in every single game they have played, until 3 games before the end of the season, and at the same time praise that player for "securing our top flight" when they have been at least partly responsible for why the club needed to wait until the 3rd last game of the season to be secure.

It's not like I have denied his two recent performances have probably been his best, but that is the problem here.

 

This is the same for every single player in the squad though. The person most responsible for Main's performances have been Main himself. I have stated time and again, I bear no ill will towards Main. If people are willing to pay him to play then who am I to say he shouldn't. My point is that he has simply not provided the return that even the most modest requirement would consider a success.

In fact, if there is anyone to "blame" here, it's Goodwin for not getting the best out of him. There is no "blame" to be had, I understand why he was bought, but it hasn't worked out. Robinson looks to have improved his output by playing him as a 2, but even at his best, his very best, he is not a consistent scorer, and that as a striker is literally the thing you are brought to the club for.

Ach, I was only pulling your leg. 😜 You could however say that Erhahon has went down in your estimation, because if he can get stuck in and influence a game like the Dundee game, then where’s he been hiding before Saturday? Robinson has overseen two great results, but bugger giving him any praise, because he’s been in charge of shite results prior to the last two. Come on Ric, get on the Curtis Main bandwagon. 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Under Robinson I would be expecting Offord and perhaps Lewis Jamieson to get some minutes next season.

Offord, having played this season on the Lowland League and done very well, may benefit from a loan to a Leage One  of Championship side.

Jamieson I think did ok at Inverness the first half of this  season and it looks like he's done well at Clyde in the second half of the campaign.

From the outside, it certainly seems that SR likes Offord so who knows if he will be sent out on another loan or if he'll be used as a squad player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Ach, I was only pulling your leg. 😜

Yeah, I know. I did start my comment with "My opinion is a bit different to others"... ;)

As for giving Robinson praise, I've not not been giving him praise. I said that if given the chance he was a much better option than others linked with us and he has experience at this level. He had a dreadful start, with Ronan red carded within minutes of his first game, then the OF and we picked up injuries and suspensions. So I don't blame Robinson for the position of the team as such, just frustrated that he took what we all thought was a team that had finally (finally!) found its feet and changed things around, while claiming he'd been forced into it.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...