The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Being overweight was never a problem for John Robertson though. Do you smoke as well, like a few pints on a Friday? Available on Saturday afternoon?

That was 30 years ago, players carrying a belly and still being successful are a lot rarer these days.

19 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Oh well that’s Ronan and Jones both away back to parent clubs. Both injured.

Surely Robinson will put guys like Offord, McManus and Finlayson on the bench now that their seasons are over rather than have an underfilled subs bench again.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Thats a blow, especially Ronan. 

Jones hasn't really set the heather alight. He's been ok but it is another option we've lost.

Ronan is a massive blow though, he's been our standout player all season. He's got the potential to go on and have a very good career.

Are we able to play any players who had been out on loan whose seasons have now finished?

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Jones hasn't really set the heather alight. He's been ok but it is another option we've lost.

Ronan is a massive blow though, he's been our standout player all season. He's got the potential to go on and have a very good career.

Are we able to play any players who had been out on loan whose seasons have now finished?

Yep just thankful our safety was assured before Ronan left. If we had lost on Saturday and then got this news, oh my... He is one of the best St Mirren players I've ever seen, a real class act and i dread to think where we'd be now without all his match winning performances. 

Jones has been terrible and i wouldn't have wanted him playing any minutes in the three remaining games regardless. He had one good game - against Kelty - and was rubbish in every other one, zero goals and zero assists in the league speaks for itself and he was terribly at fault for the vital third goal at Tynecastle. Good riddance!

We tend to let the manager make all the decisions but unlikely to be drastically cutting our budget. Mark McGhee already currently has his own replacements in temporarily and our new manager will replace them. 
Gerry Docherty is a bit of a blow to lose, only ever heard good things about his work!
Goodwin took our excellent physio to Aberdeen and Hearts poached our excellent fitness coach. Hope the new guys are half as good.

30 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yep just thankful our safety was assured before Ronan left. If we had lost on Saturday and then got this news, oh my... He is one of the best St Mirren players I've ever seen, a real class act and i dread to think where we'd be now without all his match winning performances. 

Jones has been terrible and i wouldn't have wanted him playing any minutes in the three remaining games regardless. He had one good game - against Kelty - and was rubbish in every other one, zero goals and zero assists in the league speaks for itself and he was terribly at fault for the vital third goal at Tynecastle. Good riddance!

Aye, I was thinking the same. His goal against Aberdeen in the second home game won it for us. His goals against Rangers and Hearts away in the Cup will be memories I will forever cherish. 

44 minutes ago, Lex said:

I was being diplomatic! 

I actually don't think he's been as bad as you say, I think coming with a bit of a reputation meant we expected a lot more. But he's not done particularly well and I agree that he probably shouldn't have been involved in the last few games anyway, unless we were struggling for bodies.

50 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:
We tend to let the manager make all the decisions but unlikely to be drastically cutting our budget. Mark McGhee already currently has his own replacements in temporarily and our new manager will replace them. 
Gerry Docherty is a bit of a blow to lose, only ever heard good things about his work!

Goodwin took our excellent physio to Aberdeen and Hearts poached our excellent fitness coach. Hope the new guys are half as good.

Gerry Doherty was with you back around 2012 I think.

Dunno anything about the fitness coach. He was new this season.

Ronan is a tremendous footballer, been outstanding the most part of this season.  Probably had a similar impact this season as McLean did when Teale was the manager & earned his move. Great player and great signing by Goodwin - I hope he goes on to have a good career down south, he certainly deserves it. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Gogic saying he will now stay in Scotland and assess his options.  Hope we offer him a deal. 

Definitely one of our better players this season.