The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

Firstly, how does anybody know that Erhahon has received more abuse than Main? Even if @Ric hears it at the ground, unless he has bionic hearing, how can he possibly determine whether the small section of the stadium in which he sits is representative of the feelings of the entire support?

Also, could it not be to do with expectations? When Main gets the ball, I expect him to lose possession, miscue his pass or fluff his shot. There's no disappointment there, because I have literally no expectations of him. 

So, my point is that Ric has no data on which to base his accusation that our club or our fans are crypto-racists, and secondly how can he possibly know what motivates somebody else to shout abuse? So to malign the club, or our fans (we're fan owned, so the club) with a baseless accusation like this, is outrageous, to be honest.

I don’t know if Erhahon receives any more audible grief from the stands than Main or any other player. Erhahon tweeted about it though, so I thought that’s why we were talking about him specifically?

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t know if Erhahon receives any more audible grief from the stands than Main or any other player. Erhahon tweeted about it though, so I thought that’s why we were talking about him specifically?

I can only comment on what I read on here. But, off the top of my head, I can think of a few explanations of  why Erhahon raised it on Twitter whereas other players haven't:

a) he uses Twitter more

b) he has a thinner skin, or a bigger ego

c) he doesn't believe that players should be criticised*

d) he's less frightened of raising the issue

*When does criticism become abuse? Is it because of profane language? Personal insults? 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

I can only comment on what I read on here. But, off the top of my head, I can think of a few explanations of  why Erhahon raised it on Twitter whereas other players haven't:

a) he uses Twitter more

*When does criticism become abuse? Is it because of profane language? Personal insults? 

He only said its easy to play the game from the stands. He is spot on the stands are full of managers I don't see what's out of order by saying that. 

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Would fit..... could do with a new right back / wing back and Robinson said he'd be using his knowledge of the lower English leagues for signings.

Versatile player by all amounts  can play anywhere in the back line midfield also according to one of his interviews. 

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

He only said its easy to play the game from the stands. He is spot on the stands are full of managers I don't see what's out of order by saying that. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, and I also agree with him. So how has that morphed into a racism debate?  🤔 

Anyway, it would be nice if folk offered positive encouragement, instead of abuse, but then again some punters pay their money to have a good rant.

On 03/05/2022 at 10:44, GAD said:

Erhahon wouldn't get anything like the level of stick he does from the St Mirren dad's if he was white. He's a massively better player than MacPherson for example who they all loved and cried about leaving to St Johnstone. He was scapegoated for the Hibs result pretty unfairly considering he was miles better than Power that day, the senior player who has been selling the jerseys every week with barely a peep said about it.

4 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

He didn't do that. Nobody has done that from what I've read. There's a difference between discussing an idea in the abstract and making accusations. The former is all that's been happening. This topic was actually discussed in the Livi thread not long ago so I know it can cause misunderstanding. Genuinely, you don't need to worry, I don't see any bad faith here and some disagreement is fine. 

Apologies, I didn't see this post earlier.

Reading GAD's post above, can you please explain how he's not insinuating St. Mirren fans are crypto-racists, then? 

Well I don't think anyone reads that and thinks its a comment on the St Mirren fanbase especially but rather just a likely reality to Scottish society. Such biases probably do exist among some in our society and therefore will be present among some of our football supporters. 

I also don't think racism was the primary frustration being expressed there but more so unfair bias from supporters causing them to harshly or wrongly judge players. As djchapsticks pointed out, fans can be against a player due to many biases affecting their judgement. An example of a common bias is to view attacking players as more likely to be "lazy" than defensive players. For me, suggesting that a bias could be present due to a player's ethnicity isn't unreasonable. It's one possibility among many. Then if folk disagree and think that particular bias is either unlikely to be present at all or if present, too negligible to be worthy of consideration, that's of course a valid view in response.

For what little it's worth Norman was one that came up when I was fucking about looking for RWBs for our system over a year ago.

From memory he was a really well balanced player. Didn't really stand out in any category but his only real weakness was he'd lunge into tackles, or push folk when he could've kept chasing them (he was a bit of a clumsy oaf at times tbh), and give away a lot of free kicks around the box.

I thought he'd do well up here as a wing back with a quality defender at RCB.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:
8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

a) he uses Twitter more

6 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Definitely agree with this. What good can come from hurling abuse at one of your own players? It makes zero sense. I've never felt the need to do it. Even the really shite guys, I usually just end up feeling sorry for.

St. Mirren fans - starting fights in empty houses since 1877.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The latest hysteria..... Last week was trying to get a guy removed from his job 8 weeks after he was appointed. What will next week bring?

Wait, you and @btb are blaming me for the Erhahon thing? Even though I was defending the club and our fans?! 

As for Robinson, we all may yet rue the fact that we didn't get rid of him when it was justifiable. I will be delighted to eat humble pie and accept I am wrong about him next season, but I think you're being very premature in excoriating me for suggesting he's the wrong man for the job.

You've taken your former physio Gerry Docherty back from ourselves and also appointed our fitness coach, Gary McColl to your backroom staff.

Staff members depart - Dundee Football Club - Official Website (dundeefc.co.uk)

No announcement made about them joining St Mirren, but it's fairly public.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You've taken your former physio Gerry Docherty back from ourselves and also appointed our fitness coach, Gary McColl to your backroom staff.

Not sure about this. From the outside Dundee look like a team of unfit crocks... 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I guess most of your staff are going to be there for the taking at this stage. Club will be keen to manage costs as you drop down.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Not sure about this. From the outside Dundee look like a team of unfit crocks... 

Probably more to do with recruitment than the physios - Dundee fairly gambled on 'experience'. Though anyone coming in has big shoes to fill as the outgoing guy (whose name has left my head) was a miracle worker, tbh.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I guess most of your staff are going to be there for the taking at this stage. Club will be keen to manage costs as you drop down.

Probably more to do with recruitment than the physios - Dundee fairly gambled on 'experience'. Though anyone coming in has big shoes to fill as the outgoing guy (whose name has left my head) was a miracle worker, tbh.

We tend to let the manager make all the decisions but unlikely to be drastically cutting our budget. Mark McGhee already currently has his own replacements in temporarily and our new manager will replace them. 

Gerry Docherty is a bit of a blow to lose, only ever heard good things about his work!

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We tend to let the manager make all the decisions but unlikely to be drastically cutting our budget. Mark McGhee already currently has his own replacements in temporarily and our new manager will replace them. 

Gerry Docherty is a bit of a blow to lose, only ever heard good things about his work!

Gerry was massively popular amongst staff and players when he was last with us mate. A good appointment for me.