The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

What were you expecting?

Bottom half club loses manager to top half club is a fairly common occurance tbf. At least before he left he gave them lifelone memories like reaching a Semi Final and almost finishing 6th.

Funny thing is... if Callum hadn't screwed the pooch so spectacularly this season he probably would have been the Sheep's top target.   

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know, I was just making an insensitive and intentionally inane wee joke. 

Which is unnecessary as the buddies have actually taken Jim’s departure relatively well. 

I think Aberdeen should go for him. We can't, well out of our price range, but I'd imagine Cormack has the shekels. He is a talent and it would be nice to see him continue playing well up here after his loan finishes.  

As for taking the departure well, all that does is underline the regard in which he was held. Slightly less regard when he continued with a 3-5-2 that wasn't working, mind, but he admitted his mistake, changed things and we clearly turned a corner, but overall he was liked off the field almost universally and it's tough to bitch about him knowing he always came across as a nice person.

6 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Rangers were liquidated so they clearly aren’t insulated by their wealth. Relative to the clubs we are competing against we are in no different a position.

We’ve literally replaced stacks of players and managers in recent seasons.

You know I'm going to pick holes in that, and you know exactly which holes I'll pick, so I'll not bother.. ;)

The second sentence is true, but it's true irrespective of whom we appoint, Brown or Mourinho.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What were you expecting?

Bottom half club loses manager to top half club is a fairly common occurance tbf. At least before he left he gave them lifelone memories like reaching a Semi Final and almost finishing 6th.

😆 good post

To be honest, the ‘achievements’ of last season, for me, were blighted by the fact that not only were both the semi finals we lost, winnable, the actual trophies were clearly winable, as was a spot in the top 6.

While Goodwin clearly must take the credit for getting us into those great positions, ultimately he blew the chance for real greatness when it was within his grasp. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think your position is pertinent here  Experienced guy absolutely ruining you and you have gambled (pun not intentional) on a rookie who has totally galvanized you. 

It might have backfired but you had to do something. It appears to have paid off and despite Morton being Morton and Imrie being a dick, I'm happy for you. We are under less pressure, for sure, and that has to be a factor. But the natives will become restless quickly, especially if we lose at Livi today. You're absolutely right, we could crawl over the line to safety this season, but that'd be devastating given the quality in our squad and the standard of the league.

If Brown, for example, is going to take our job seriously (and let's face it, if he ever wants to take the Celtic job he's going to have to work his way up to it) then I'd be happy to take a punt on a rookie like him.

Yeah, despite the differing positions the same logic applies. As a general rule I don't think a team in a relegation battle that looks increasingly like losing it is the best place for a first time manager, but if the more experienced choices we had were the likes of Brian Rice, Martin Canning and Darren Young then the gamble is still a safer option. If Jack Ross doesn't want it then I suppose the same applies for yourselves if you're left with Jim McIntyre, James McPake and other jobbers who you can be certain will be worse than Goodwin.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think Aberdeen should go for him. We can't, well out of our price range, but I'd imagine Cormack has the shekels. He is a talent and it would be nice to see him continue playing well up here after his loan finishes.  

As for taking the departure well, all that does is underline the regard in which he was held. Slightly less regard when he continued with a 3-5-2 that wasn't working, mind, but he admitted his mistake, changed things and we clearly turned a corner, but overall he was liked off the field almost universally and it's tough to bitch about him knowing he always came across as a nice person.

You know I'm going to pick holes in that, and you know exactly which holes I'll pick, so I'll not bother.. ;)

The second sentence is true, but it's true irrespective of whom we appoint, Brown or Mourinho.

When I said ‘they’, I was meaning clubs such as Sevco and C*ltic.

Of course, Sevco are a different club to Rangers 😉

Clearly, those clubs are not insulated by their wealth and the expectations of their support means they are in even less of a position to gamble on managers. 

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Interesting bait, let's see who bites on that...

It’s a back handed compliment in a way that @RandomGuy. has given us there.

He views Aberdeen as a top 6 club over the long term while he views us as a top 12 club.

We view St Johnstone as a top 22 club in contrast. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Has ‘real’ baggage but is undoubtedly the most successful of all the names mentioned.

Yeah but his conviction was 15 years ago, since then he's got a degree , done his time, and worked his way up the football ladder and has Livi safe from relegation again despite them prob'ly having the lowest budget in the division, the bantz  at work, Paisley twinned with Medellin - would luv it!

Would he see it as a step up?

Edited by btb

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Which is unnecessary as the buddies have actually taken Jim’s departure relatively well. 

You'll definitely be signing some decent attacking midfeilders, it's Jim's speciality.

ETA- I suppose you might even end up with far too many and a badly imbalanced midfeild as Jim tries to squeeze them all in somewhere anyway, but to be fair, he seems to have got over that recently.

Edited by GAD

Just now, Captain Saintsible said:

When I said ‘they’, I was meaning clubs such as Sevco and C*ltic.

Of course, Sevco are a different club to Rangers 😉

Clearly, those clubs are not insulated by their wealth and the expectations of their support means they are in even less of a position to gamble on managers. 

The wealth insulates them regarding managerial choices, it doesn't insulate them from breaking the law/rules.

You are also using Gerrard as an example, then using something that happened a decade ago to support the analogy. They are clearly two different clubs.

4 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

It’s a back handed compliment in a way that @RandomGuy. has given us there.

He views Aberdeen as a top 6 club over the long term while he views us as a top 12 club.

We view St Johnstone as a top 22 club in contrast. 

Oh, he's right, there is no issue with that, just with the touchy world of football supporters, describing a team in 6th as bottom half and the team in 8th as top half, is a fun rouse.

Edited by Ric

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Take this for what it's worth but I've heard the list of names we currently are interested on sounding out reads Jack Ross, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, James McPake and Marvin Bartley.

So what's the bad news then?

disappointed005.gif

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Take this for what it's worth but I've heard the list of names we currently are interested on sounding out reads Jack Ross, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, James McPake and Marvin Bartley. 

I'd be willing to take a punt on four out of that five.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We know Goodwin would climb the ladder at some point timing is all wrong from our perspective.  Goodwin has put a team together that we feel had an out side chance of Europe. You have to go back to the 80's for that kind of dream. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The absolute heads gone from this if any one other than Jack Ross gets it from this list will be absolutely hilarious. 

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

The wealth insulates them regarding managerial choices, it doesn't insulate them from breaking the law/rules.

You are also using Gerrard as an example, then using something that happened a decade ago to support the analogy. They are clearly two different clubs.

It doesn’t insulate regarding managerial choices. Their supporters expect success and they wanted to stop C*ltic winning 10 in a row. Being able to replace Gerrard with a new manager would have been no consolation had they failed.

In any case, St Mirren can and have easily replaced a stack of players and managers in recent seasons. I’d say that clubs like ours are actually ‘insulated’ by our lack of wealth and expectations!

I’m not using the liquidation of Rangers to support my analogy at all. I’m using it to highlight that your replies to me are irrelevant.

Gerrard v Lennon was an equal battle… indeed, Lennon had far more money to spend.

The only difference was that one had more managerial experience.

Its you who is attempting to compare the wealth of the OF with St Mirren to support your point. But their wealth is irrelevant as St Mirren are not really competing with those clubs. We’re competing against clubs in exactly the same financial position as ourselves. 

Edited by Captain Saintsible