The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Any out of work manager who takes a look at our position currently and the opportunity there to genuinely make history and still doesn't fancy it isn't worth wasting time on.

More than any time in last 30 years  with the position we occupy and what we could potentially do in the last 3rd of the season, this job should be a very, very attractive prospect. 

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ironically you're not listening. 

It doesn't matter if you are a free agent. If you were registered with the club at the close of the window, you are bound to that club until the transfer window reopens unless joining a club where the window is open.

We chose on Thursday to release Lee Erwin, he cannot sign for another club whose window is currently closed but he gets around this by going to Finland to sign for a club whose transfer window is currently open.

Fair enough, my mistake.

As a player he looks done anyway 

And he has a hamstring injury.

Apart from that… 

Who cares. Jim Goodwin ex Celtic.  Small mindedness if you ask me.

Jim Goodwin was totally different, a cup winning captain, a legend. Never sniffed the 1st team. Brown has no connection and zero coaching credentials, where's the merest suggestion coming from that he is a top flight manager in the making. It's batshit off the scale madness to even be considering someone with absolutely no obvious coaching qualities to bring to the job.

9 hours ago, elvis said:

At least he managed Liverpool's young team what the hell has Brown done except be an utter bell end on the park.

Played at a high level for three of Scotland’s biggest clubs, was captain, Scotland stalwart, captain. Played under, and no doubt learned something from, many top managers. Dealt with the pressure and expectations of being Celtic captain. Park our view of the OF, that role up here comes with a lot of pressure. Has been assistant at Aberdeen and has dipped his toes into his post-playing career. Seems a decent enough guy when off the field and you hear him speak. None of that guarantees a damn thing though, but it’s a case for him getting a manager’s job.

Having said that, he hasn’t been in charge of Scouse scallies, so he must be a dud. I’m genuinely not touting Scott Brown for the job, but you can make a case for giving him a go. Even if the BoD did so while taking the deepest of deep breaths and crossing their fingers and toes hoping against hope it worked. I remember thinking Stubbs was a good appointment - experienced, eh?

You could make a case for Jack Ross, Neil Lennon, Scott Brown, Derek Adams, promoting from within, or anyone. The BoD will make the case for whoever is photographed next at the stadium tunnel holding aloft a black & white scarf. At least it won’t be Muttley.

Edited by pozbaird

Probably the most stupid thing is for the board to have asked for permission to speak to him at the time they did. He wasn't going anywhere, he is under contract, can't sign (well, register) for anyone else and there is no urgency.

The fact that they did, and we are relying on a completely untrustworthy source in doing so, the board must have realised what headlines that would have made. The media will lap up "ex-OF star comes good a manager at a plucky seaside club" narrative bullshit. Such a self inflicted wound.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

what you said was factually incorrect

heh.. I mean you are the one saying there is no difference between Goodwin, Ross and Brown. Not sure you can stand on the factual high ground here.. ;)

There’s three kinds of managerial appointment we can make.
1) The up and comer from a lower level. This is historically the one we have favoured. Alex Ferguson, Tom Hendrie, Danny Lennon, Ian Murray, Oran Kearney Jim Goodwin etc. There’s no obvious candidates in the lower leagues just now, so I think that one’s probably out. Kevin Thomson might turn out to be a good manager, but this is way too early for him and winning the league with the biggest budget is no real measure.
2) The out of work experienced one with failures on the CV. Jack Ross, Paul Lambert, Derek Adams etc. Not a route we have taken often. Davie Hay, Alex Rae and Alan Stubbs fall into that category, so not one we’ve had much success with. However, I think most of us favour this route and it’s probably the safest one bet.
3) Someone who’s never managed before. Scott Brown, Steven Thompson, Ali De Foy etc. We’ve had some success with this one, Jim Clunie and Gus McPherson being the two that spring to mind. But it’s the high gamble appointment. If we are going to go down this route I think we need someone who has a previous ties with the club - so not Scott Brown. Someone like that will just be given no slack by the fans if it doesn’t go well straight away. He might turn out to be a great manager, but I don’t want him learning his trade with us. If Thommo wants to give up his comfy Sportscene couch though… [emoji7]

2 hours ago, GAD said:

People are saying "lack of experience" but really their issue is that they don't like Scott Brown. No way there would be this much of a reaction if it was someone like Robert Snodgrass for example. I think Brown is a winner, and was the main man at Celtic under numerous managers. I guess the worry is he's Neil Lennon mk II, but even Lennon tended to at least do well in his first couple of seasons with most clubs.

Also, would you really want McInnes, Adams, McIntyre, even Lambert? The other options aren't the most appetising, and bringing in some random from England or abroad is just as much of a risk. I know we all want JR, but maybe he doesn't want to come? Or maybe, after last time, the board don't fancy him because as soon as he starts doing well they'll think he'll be desperately trying to leave again? Since Scott/Fitzpatrick came in they've appointed 4 managers. 1 was a disaster they fixed quickly (probably the guy with the most "experience" and the best CV out the 4,), 3 did good jobs. They maybe deserve a bit more trust from the support here.

Agreed. Brown has cultivated an image of a pantomime villain on the pitch. Some of his antics are quite funny, like waving and clapping Ryan Kent off the pitch when he got sent off recently. The issue for some people is he's not our pantomime villain. Talk of protests, letting the board know what we think, Jesus, it's not Goodwillie we're talking about signing.

Still not convinced about him due to not having much experience and it's a gamble, but at least we are comfortably clear of relegation so it's a better time to gamble than in previous years.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

People are saying "lack of experience" but really their issue is that they don't like Scott Brown.

bth.gif

I don't like his persona, no idea about him personally.

However people's opinion doesn't change the very simple fact: He is massively inexperienced, whether you like the guy or not.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

3) Someone who’s never managed before. We’ve had some success with this one, Jim Clunie and Gus McPherson being the two that spring to mind. But it’s the high gamble appointment. If we are going to go down this route I think we need someone who has a previous ties with the club - so not Scott Brown. Someone like that will just be given no slack by the fans if it doesn’t go well straight away. He might turn out to be a great manager, but I don’t want him learning his trade with us. If Thommo wants to give up his comfy Sportscene couch though… emoji7.png

You missed out Ricky McFarlane. A physio who did a great job after Clunie. Wonder if Kevin Bain fancies the job?

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

3) We’ve had some success with this one, Jim Clunie and Gus McPherson being the two that spring to mind.

MacPherson was pretty much foisted upon us based on circumstances at the time. Not that you are incorrect, he went on to have a pretty decent St Mirren career as we know.

25 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Not gonna lie - I'm gutted Jim is away.

Really liked him - spoke very well, cup winning captain and genuinely got the club and the fans.

Best of luck to him and I hope he is a success at Aberdeen.

I'm away to find a new profile pic.....

I genuinely don’t get the ‘best of luck to him and I hope he is a success at Aberdeen’ bit. I also don’t get the Ali Defoy ‘best wishes except against us’ shite either.

Jim Goodwin is now manager of a rival team who are currently below us in the league. His immediate remit will be to climb above teams like us and finish higher than us. Jim Goodwin will use his intimate knowledge of our players strengths and weaknesses to defeat us when Aberdeen next play St Mirren. Jim Goodwin will most likely be eyeing up Jak Alnwick, and who knows who else, for next season.

Legend, cup winner, handsome Irish lilted manager who was doing a good job - none of that changes, but fcuk wishing him well at a rival club.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

You can flip the argument about gambling on an inexperienced manager either way.

If there's ever a time to do it mid-season, then when you're basically already safe from relegation minimises the risk. The new manager could be a shambles who fails to win for the rest of the season and you'd probably still draw your way to safety from the position you're in. On the other hand, when you're chasing the top six and there's even the possibility of European qualification with a strong end to the season, you could argue that makes the job more attractive, you could get something of a coup of an appointment and that's not a position to throw away cheaply on a first time manager.

I think your position is pertinent here  Experienced guy absolutely ruining you and you have gambled (pun not intentional) on a rookie who has totally galvanized you. 

It might have backfired but you had to do something. It appears to have paid off and despite Morton being Morton and Imrie being a dick, I'm happy for you. We are under less pressure, for sure, and that has to be a factor. But the natives will become restless quickly, especially if we lose at Livi today. You're absolutely right, we could crawl over the line to safety this season, but that'd be devastating given the quality in our squad and the standard of the league.

If Brown, for example, is going to take our job seriously (and let's face it, if he ever wants to take the Celtic job he's going to have to work his way up to it) then I'd be happy to take a punt on a rookie like him.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

heh.. I mean you are the one saying there is no difference between Goodwin, Ross and Brown. Not sure you can stand on the factual high ground here.. ;)

My point was to do with relative risk. Goodwin and Ross were football managers on Tuesday, Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons; the rest of the time they were doing other jobs like delivering parcels and writing children's books. Brown is a full time coach / assistant manager in the Premiership. I don't see him as any more of a gamble than Ross and Goodwin were and, certainly, he seems to be highly thought of in coaching circles.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

If Brown, for example, is going to take our job seriously (and let's face it, if he ever wants to take the Celtic job he's going to have to work his way up to it) then I'd be happy to take a punt on a rookie like him.

..and endure the fucking circus that would come with it?

I genuinely don’t get the ‘best of luck to him and I hope he is a success at Aberdeen’ bit. I also don’t get the Ali Defoy ‘best wishes except against us’ shite either.
Jim Goodwin is now manager of a rival team who are currently below us in the league. His immediate remit will be to climb above teams like us and finish higher than us. Jim Goodwin will use his intimate knowledge of our players strengths and weaknesses to defeat us when Aberdeen next play St Mirren. Jim Goodwin will most likely be eyeing up Jak Alnwick, and who knows who else, for next season.
Legend, cup winner, handsome Irish lilted manager who was doing a good job - none of that changes, but fcuk wishing him well at a rival club.

Simmer down ffs

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Brown is a full time coach / assistant manager in the Premiership.

Grasping at straws there. He has been part of an extremely unsuccessful partnership, one which we have no visibility over so have no idea if he actually did the job, and he did this for a few months. Goodwin was a player coach when with us, spent 3 odd years at Alloa then came to us. They are not even in the slightest the same.