The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

You’re not listening. 
If his contract is cancelled, he’s effectively deemed a free agent.

Surely that’s really, really, REALLY obvious? 

That’s not how it works. Scott Brown can’t play for St Mirren this season.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

You’re not listening. 
If his contract is cancelled, he’s effectively deemed a free agent.

Surely that’s really, really, REALLY obvious? 

Ironically you're not listening. 

It doesn't matter if you are a free agent. If you were registered with the club at the close of the window, you are bound to that club until the transfer window reopens unless joining a club where the window is open.

We chose on Thursday to release Lee Erwin, he cannot sign for another club whose window is currently closed but he gets around this by going to Finland to sign for a club whose transfer window is currently open.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well done for posting the most asinine answer you could.

Well it's true, and the upsides can be huge. You can find yourself with a manager of a quality you couldnt attract usually if you give them their chance.

We had Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes as our manager in the second tier because we took a gamble on them, if we hadn't it likely would've been an Ian McCall type, and our last decade likely wouldn't happen.

I was totally underwhelmed by JG's appointment but he did ok. Good luck to him. Move on, just get a better one...

Not, please, the guy at Kelty who says 'harsh reality' in nearly every sentence (almost as irritating as Lennon's referring to himself in the third person) or someone like Stubbs who had the demeanour of a beaten man from the off which was obvious to see imo.  

Actual club management experience, leadership qualities, proven coaching ability, positivity,  intelligence and knowledge of the league (think Stubbs signings...). Good connections are valuable. JG raided the Irish market effectively;  that has gone for now, so we need someone with their own network.

Doubt we will find someone as photogenic as the last manager though, what was his name again...? 

Quite like the Fitzy suggestion as part of an interim arrangement, but suspect a large section of the support probably don't really know who he is and what he stands for.

Disappointed Goodwin has gone but not surprised. Within a few weeks of him starting it was clear he was a talented coach and it was a question of when and not if he moved on to a bigger club.
He took over when we were a shambles. We had just finished 11th and had only stayed up due to Dundee and Dundee Utd being respectively awful, and the latter’s hilarious penalty ineptitude.
Once he made his mark on the team things improved quickly. In his first season we finished 9th, I think we would have finished higher if it wasn’t for COVID as there was a bit of momentum about the squad.
Second season was one of the most challenging off the pitch seasons we’ve ever had. COVID gate, having three games postponed and being awarded 3-0 defeats for all of them. Then having that over turned and having to squeeze them plus a load of cup games into February. We still finished in our highest position since the 80’s and missed out on top six because of goal difference. Oh and we made the two semi finals, also for the first time since the 80’s. We also won at Parkhead for the first time since the 90’s and were the only Scottish team to beat Rangers over 90 minutes.
This season we pushed on again and he leaves us in 6th (4th if the season was called today on PPG) and in our third consecutive Scottish Cup Quarter final - in the six years before he joined we had made one national quarter final.
He’s built a settled top flight squad almost from scratch, every single player in our recent starting 11’s has been given their St Mirren debut by Goodwin.
Like any club we’ve had good runs and bad runs, but the progression has been clear and sustained throughout his tenure. I think he’ll do well at Aberdeen and I wish him well.

If, as seems to be the case, Jack Ross doesn't want it, then there's slim pickings around. 

Lambert - not convinced he'd take it and his record has more bad bits than good. 

Adams - recently sacked by Bradford, doesn't get me particularly excited. 

Tommy Wright? - didn't cover himself in glory at Kilmarnock but I still think he's a good manager. 

Steven McGarry - would definitely have the club at heart and have interesting contacts in Australia. Been out the Scottish game a long time and lacks experience of being a number 1.

Scott Brown - not convinced he'll want to hang the boots up just yet, so can't see it being him. Also no managerial experience but he'll have a point to prove, has good contacts and is a winner. He's also a good character and I'm sure the players would respect him. 

If it's not Ross part of me thinks 'f**k it' give it to Brown, it'll be a laugh if anything. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well it's true, and the upsides can be huge. You can find yourself with a manager of a quality you couldnt attract usually if you give them their chance.

We had Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes as our manager in the second tier because we took a gamble on them, if we hadn't it likely would've been an Ian McCall type, and our last decade likely wouldn't happen.

It's not that it's not true, it's that we are talking the specifics of the gamble. Just saying "everything is a gamble" is like pointing out "Earth is full of rocks" to geologists, it's not incorrect, it's just pointlessly vague.

In terms of gambles, Brown is clearly some distance from other candidates. It's very left field, and open to huge risk. Ross, Adams and Lambert (to take names from the bookies) while clearly not guaranteeing success, is equally not such a huge risk. I'll add in my own asinine comment that we aren't the OF, we can't afford to hire and fire managers and have the money to throw at the problem should there be one.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, yenrab said:

Quite like the Fitzy suggestion as part of an interim arrangement, but suspect a large section of the support probably don't really know who he is and what he stands for.

Fitzy is a hero but the guy has been out of coaching for about 20 years and is soon to be retiring from working life. 

Langfield, McManus and Webster are taking the team today. McManus has always done well when he's had to step up. 

I assume that the board feel that the formula that's worked for us is appointing an up and coming guy who's determined to succeed. Would Brown be any more of a risk than Ross and Goodwin whose sole management experience was part-time football in League 1? No.

On top of that, the club is all about the academy and developing young players. Brown would be a huge draw in getting the best youngsters into our system.....

I'm up for it! Get him in the dugout for Dens please!

Just now, houston_bud said:

That's a strong point. 

It's a true point, but a very obvious one, and one that doesn't really need saying.

I mention it as asinine as I accused RG of being so just a few post earlier, sauce for the goose and all that...

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I assume that the board feel that the formula that's worked for us is appointing an up and coming guy who's determined to succeed. Would Brown be any more of a risk than Ross and Goodwin whose sole management experience was part-time football in League 1? No.

:blink:

No?

Goodwin had badges and several years both as a coach then as a manager. Brown has nothing.... nothing.

Not gonna lie - I'm gutted Jim is away.

Really liked him - spoke very well, cup winning captain and genuinely got the club and the fans.

Best of luck to him and I hope he is a success at Aberdeen.

I'm away to find a new profile pic.....

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Fitzy is a hero but the guy has been out of coaching for about 20 years and is soon to be retiring from working life. 

Langfield, McManus and Webster are taking the team today. McManus has always done well when he's had to step up. 

Well exactly, I could see the point from a support esprit de corps sort of a way, but the established staff in those roles at the moment should be running things

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's a true point, but a very obvious one, and one that doesn't really need saying.

I mention it as asinine as I accused RG of being so just a few post earlier, sauce for the goose and all that...

Thing is, other than Ross I don't think there are many safe bets out there. There are no obvious up and coming managers in the lower leagues (Stewart Petrie?). Certainly no one that jumps out at me. 

Just now, houston_bud said:

Thing is, other than Ross I don't think there are many safe bets out there. There are no obvious up and coming managers in the lower leagues (Stewart Petrie?). Certainly no one that jumps out at me. 

Sure, although there is a world of difference, a massive chasm, between an appointment like Ross and someone like Brown.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

As I said, nothing. Some fluff piece regarding an ex-OF player published by the Record doesn't change that.

Edited by Ric