The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:
I believe we are talking to an English club about a loan deal for a winger with pace. 

Surely Jones would only be part of any deal for McGrath to Wigan. He's barely into a 3 year contract !

He’s not playing at the moment and out of favour 

A loan deal to the end of the season would be my guess.

Obviously we may all be putting 2+2 together and getting 5, but Wigan are about to get a 7 figure sum from the sale of Burn from Brighton to Newcastle so they may be willing to spend £150k on McGrath that they weren’t willing to do earlier in the window.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It certainly is. His agent and father both need booted right into touch for wreaking havoc with the boy's career.

Surely the player has to take some of the responsibility?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

It certainly is. His agent and father both need booted right into touch for wreaking havoc with the boy's career.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

It's utterly fucking ridiculous. Thank f**k it's nearly over. We hope.

It's now clearly gotten to the stage where he doesn't want to be at any of the three of us up here but they've made a c**t of getting something down the road.

Seems to have given you guys a nightmare trying to get some incomings done too.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

I mean, he doesn't strike me as the type whatsoever to be a mercenary. Perhaps I'm wrong and he is like that he but at the very least, he needs to take responsibility for not kicking bad advisement into touch.

He clearly prefers to move south,  fair enough on that but the advisors appear to have gambled on that using Aberdeen, Hibs and St. Mirren as leverage and lost.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, btb said:

Well, yes - if he didnt like how they operate, he can get rid of his agent.

He has bored us all into submission, not sure anyone in Scotland now cares if he signs now.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Well, yes - if he didnt like how they operate, he can get rid of his agent.

He has bored us all into submission, not sure anyone in Scotland now cares if he signs now.

Yes he’s a player all right but I’m not sure he’s this good 

I admit I did get my hopes up there briefly but I'd be abit more miffed with it if I was actually aware of what kind of player he is, what he's good at etc. He looks tidy on the ball with good energy and physicality, but I'm not sure what it is in particular that he's supposed to be good at?

Someone on Hibsnet said a mix between Magennis and Scott Allan, which sounds a little too good to be true. 

2 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I admit I did get my hopes up there briefly but I'd be abit more miffed with it if I was actually aware of what kind of player he is, what he's good at etc. He looks tidy on the ball with good energy and physicality, but I'm not sure what it is in particular that he's supposed to be good at?

Someone on Hibsnet said a mix between Magennis and Scott Allan, which sounds a little too good to be true. 

He's certainly not that good. Your summary is decent. He's incredibly tidy on the ball, and outstanding at working in tight spaces. His work rate is outstanding. Of course, he will improve in a better team.

Beyond that... Greg Kiltie is a better number 10, and I'm not just saying that. If we keep McGrath for the rest of the season, Kiltie will outscore and out-assist him.