The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He already has a stand named after him.

Shows you how much I pay attention at times, I didn't realise this, or I did realise it and immediately forgotten about it.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I fully accept you were just looking for some way to honour the lad for all he's done for the club. I'm just not sure kow-towing to Queenie is the best route.

Statue? Although, aren't statues really meant to commemorate the dead people, rather than the living. Part of the stand being renamed is always an option, although these days if you are willing to "brand" parts of your stadium, you might as well do it through sponsorship and get some cash for it.

I presume, I honestly haven't checked, he's already in the Hall of Fame, so yeah... it does seem like "obvious routes" are not really ideal. To answer your question, I don't know.

What about an award in his name for an outstanding young player at the club ? I'm sure most supporters would get behind this?

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Shows you how much I pay attention at times, I didn't realise this, or I did realise it and immediately forgotten about it.

I was going to suggest a street named after him but there's one already, I had to check first LOL

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Mentioned freedom of Paisley before. I'm not sure what that really means, but symbolically it'd be a decent show of respect IMO.

More importantly will he get a giant key? It's not worth it if he doesn't go to the traditional town boundary and hold the key high in the air.

Also, I've lived in some places where freedom of the city has meant automatic sheep grazing rights, I want to see Tony, giant key aloft, droving sheep up the main street,

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

A young player award would also be fitting.

That's not a bad shout at all.

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Game off. Pity i was looking forward to this one. 

Said this in the game thread, I'd liked for us to play this game to keep the momentum going, but if there is one thing that absolutely fucks over a game of football, it's swirling winds. I'd hate to have pushed this game to be played, then end up losing because of a wind assisted shot.

if he goes, I want to get as much money as possible (whether down now, or as part of future payments), so I don't really care where he goes.

If he stays then I want to see the McGrath of the Aberdeen game, not the one pre-winter break.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

if he goes, I want to get as much money as possible (whether down now, or as part of future payments), so I don't really care where he goes.

If he stays then I want to see the McGrath of the Aberdeen game, not the one pre-winter break.

If he's got his future sorted then he seems the type to knuckle down and perform. I hope.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

If he's got his future sorted then he seems the type to knuckle down and perform. I hope.

I think so too , particularly if he want to remain part of the ROI set-up. My only concern for us would be that it could curtail Kiltie's influence on the team !

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You'd hope so.

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

I think so too , particularly if he want to remain part of the ROI set-up. My only concern for us would be that it could curtail Kiltie's influence on the team !

McGrath has played on the left of an attacking three for the RoI, which is where he played (and replaced McAllister) against Aberdeen. With the change of formation I feel both can be accommodated. The question, for me at least, is whether we get the best out of Ronan playing deeper.

Edited by Ric

34 minutes ago, billyg said:

As it stands , summer , cos they're offering a "pittance" at the moment !

A "pittance" would be better than having a disinterested player for the rest of the season...

28 minutes ago, Ric said:

You'd hope so.

McGrath has played on the left of an attacking three for the RoI, which is where he played (and replaced McAllister) against Aberdeen. With the change of formation I feel both can be accommodated. The question, for me at least, is whether we get the best out of Ronan playing deeper.

On the latter point, I don't think we do. I think there's an argument for playing McGrath, Kiltie and Ronan behind Brophy, against the OF for example when we might benefit from a more compact midfield.

(I'm not arguing for dropping Henderson; just saying it might work and be an option.)

On the latter point, I don't think we do. I think there's an argument for playing McGrath, Kiltie and Ronan behind Brophy, against the OF for example when we might benefit from a more compact midfield.
(I'm not arguing for dropping Henderson; just saying it might work and be an option.)
I thought Ronan playing deeper worked. He worked in what I thought as a box to box role well. I think that type of player is needed next to a more defensive minded player that cuts out play. I have felt recently, though still young, Ethan has been a bit inconsistent. I have also felt Power's passing has been terrible, but his cutting out and negative play against the opposition has been ok.