The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If England is where he really wants to be then we’re better off without him, certainly hope we don’t make a last minute hibs-esque dash to sign him if he doesn’t get his England move. 

There's only one team going to be making a last-minute Hibs-esque dash to sign McGrath if these deals fall through...

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

The "highlights" contain him tripping over the ball, and hitting the ball off the bar from inside the box. Looking at the stats, he had a particularly good year 19/20, but otherwise he's fairly low scoring.

For me? An average player, playing in a below average league and playing on poor surfaces.

Would I complain if he came over for a trial? No, no harm in that, but if I had a pound for every random Eastern European that fans have linked us with, well... let's just say I'd have quite a few pounds by now.

Can't say I remember that when watching this,what I did remember is his skill his ability to find space his movement free kicks and his finishing particular the headers,if you think he looks average fair enough that is your call but for me a guy that does this walks into most SPFL sides 

8 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Can't say I remember that when watching this..

YnPLpLI.gif

It's a lucky sclaff. It's a goal, of course, but effectively tripping over the ball is a low bar for a highlights video.

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

..but for me a guy that does this walks into most SPFL sides 

I feel you may have raided the chicken coop in order to over egg that pudding.

Looking at that, almost all defences are static, or if they do move it's rarely with any collective desire. Does it look like the guy is a better player than those around him? Sure. it seems that way, and you can only beat what is put in front of you. Doesn't translate to what you said though.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yep agree with this. In the summer I was fully expecting him to go to the top end of The English Championship and Middlesbrough were interested.
Now it seems to be between Aberdeen and League 1 in England, quite a fall in the quality of teams interested. The simple reason for that is he’s been poor and the scouts from the Championship will have seen that.
Apart from that goal against Livi (which was a peach tbf) he hasn’t done anything all season. His only other contributions to goals being a penalty against Dundee on the opening day and a five yard pass to Ronan before his peach against Aberdeen, which counts as an assist.
The tactics that are supposedly hampering him haven’t stopped Ronan scoring more and assisting more with less game time while playing in a similar position.

I don't care what anyone says, a move to Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts is far superior to moving to an English League 1 side. More prestigious (playing in fornt of bigger crowds in the top flight of a national league, against the Old Firm), more television coverage, potential European football. I know some English clubs can pay bigger wages, but that's just mercenary and a step in the wrong direction, IMHO.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

YnPLpLI.gif

It's a lucky sclaff. It's a goal, of course, but effectively tripping over the ball is a low bar for a highlights video.

I feel you may have raided the chicken coop in order to over egg that pudding.

Looking at that, almost all defences are static, or if they do move it's rarely with any collective desire. Does it look like the guy is a better player than those around him? Sure. it seems that way, and you can only beat what is put in front of you. Doesn't translate to what you said though.

So you pick this out but totally miss him beating two three defenders and sticking them away,great try a pick out a tiny bit of negatives out of a threat full off genuine ability that you might have actually picked up on he is 23 he is going to get better and better but he needs to be in a stronger league to kick on

On 03/01/2022 at 23:22, Coventry Saint said:

He's in a struggling team; we all know we're dragging him down at the moment.

My prediction is Aberdeen offer 125k + Kennedy. Hearts offer 200k. McGrath joins a lower Championship side - let's say Swansea - for 225k (undisclosed) and a 15% sell on.

Quick prediction check-in...

Seems he has now been linked with Birmingham City, so I was fairly close in terms of league placing. We are asking £350k, so I'm sticking with my 225+ sell-on prediction.

image.png.ec843066a59720c032931e605a20d350.png

2 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

So you pick this out but totally miss him beating two three defenders and sticking them away,great try a pick out a tiny bit of negatives out of a threat full off genuine ability that you might have actually picked up on he is 23 he is going to get better and better but he needs to be in a stronger league to kick on

Don't get all salty because people don't agree with your opinion.

Just now, General dissaray said:

Aren't getting salty because I know that I'm 100 per cent right that is a good technical player most SPFL teams could use

I do think you are right about him needing to find a bigger league, however your "100% right claim" would be thrown into perspective considering that at the age of 23, and with a very good goal haul in 19/20 and a few (minor) international cameos and him starting with the largest and best known Kosovan team, I'll be somewhat surprised if agents have not run the rule over him already.

The idea that randoms on the Internet can point out a gem when there is a multi-million pound industry based around doing exactly that is questionable logic to say the least. Don't take that as an insult, I would expect anyone else to equally question my point when all I have done is shared a highlights video and claimed the player would walk into any SPFL side.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Problem is, relatively few of the posters on here are responsible for making key scouting decisions at St Mirren FC.

And even if there was someone on this site who could recommend the players hes putting up to a club, they're unlikely to do so until he can prove his process for finding these players is something more than simply watching 5 minute videos of their best bits from 3 years ago.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I do think you are right about him needing to find a bigger league, however your "100% right claim" would be thrown into perspective considering that at the age of 23, and with a very good goal haul in 19/20 and a few (minor) international cameos and him starting with the largest and best known Kosovan team, I'll be somewhat surprised if agents have not run the rule over him already.

The idea that randoms on the Internet can point out a gem when there is a multi-million pound industry based around doing exactly that is questionable logic to say the least. Don't take that as an insult, I would expect anyone else to equally question my point when all I have done is shared a highlights video and claimed the player would walk into any SPFL side.

I aren't a random though been involved in football for years,and know a good player when I see one 

I aren't a random though been involved in football for years,and know a good player when I see one 

Well go become a scout and don’t post random players on a fans site. We’ve zero interest or the inclination to do anything with what you post and it’s zero to do with St Mirren.

If that is the case, I am sure you have a solid track record of recommending players from far flung locations and being a success here in Scotland. Care to list them?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

And even if there was someone on this site who could recommend the players hes putting up to a club, they're unlikely to do so until he can prove his process for finding these players is something more than simply watching 5 minute videos of their best bits from 3 years ago.

Players get scouted on such videos all the time,that is the whole point of them and players that can move on bosmans this month are exactly the kind of players that Scottish teams should be scouting instead of bringing up crap Englishman usually out of the u23 league 

If the standard of Scottish football is to rise we need to bring in players that we own instead of meaningless loan deals to develop other teams players 

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

If that is the case, I am sure you have a solid track record of recommending players from far flung locations and being a success here in Scotland. Care to list them?

Scouts jobs to watch teams and players the scout doesn't sign the player the manager does,the scouts jobs to alert the manager to form

So who the hell do you think I'm signing the players its a role it isn't head of recruitment its being a foot soldier for the boss

Scouts jobs to watch teams and players the scout doesn't sign the player the manager does,the scouts jobs to alert the manager to form

So who the hell do you think I'm signing the players its a role it isn't head of recruitment its being a foot soldier for the boss

You can't list a single instance of you recommending a player, that recommendation leading to recruitment and them being successful in this country?

Fair enough.