The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't think it was yours that was spiked.

@ZingaliMan FFS please have a read through the past five pages in the cold light of day mate. 

Ach, some of his posts make me laugh. I have never been called a 'deck head' before! 🤣

I started the Ayr United v St Murn thread in domestic cup sub-forum. I intended to end it with a simple prediction, but wrote a match report. I wasn't even drunk, either. 🤪

I've red dotted just on the off chance the poster was trying to "out" someone on a football forum.

It's difficult to tell as the messages posted by the person are not easy to decipher. I don't want to go full on here, as perhaps this is just a misunderstanding and I am reading the comment not as it's intentioned, and I really hope that is the case, but if it is not then they need to apologise, delete the post and ideally give this forum a wide berth for the next 6 months or so.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I do hope we get some transfer activity soon, if nothing else it will deflect away from the weirdness of this thread. 

I went to the BBC Sport page thinking, I wonder if there are any early kick offs, only to realise I'm a week early with the premiership stuff.  :(

It doesn't look like we'll have a busy transfer window, so I'm just putting any expectations to one side and focussing on the next game coming up - which, as I found out, isn't today!

I’m certain Jim will be working hard to make something happen. I don’t believe he will risk going with this team as whilst competitive we score very few goals and whilst it’s all right drawing some games wins are crucial. We simply must pull away and to do that he will need something different 

9 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I don’t believe he will risk going with this team...

I think he might, I can imagine Goodwin going, "we got no money for McGrath but he's staying with us for the rest of the season so that's like singing a new player, meanwhile there just wasn't the money available to bring in guys I wanted, and I'm not going to bring in those who are not of the required standard. My hands are tied"

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think he might, I can imagine Goodwin going, "we got no money for McGrath but he's staying with us for the rest of the season so that's like singing a new player, meanwhile there just wasn't the money available to bring in guys I wanted, and I'm not going to bring in those who are not of the required standard. My hands are tied"

That would be better than signing a couple of duds to appease the fans, IMHO.

I think the current team have been unlucky, and I don't think we've got a bad team. The exception to that is I think Main has to be dropped, as he's simply not good enough. When's Brophy back?

ETA: link to Ayr match thread: 

Edited by AlbionSaint

11 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

That would be better than signing a couple of duds to appease the fans, IMHO.

I think the current team have been unlucky, and I don't think we've got a bad team. The exception to that is I think Main has to be dropped, as he's simply not good enough. When's Brophy back?

Yeah, to paraphrase a political slogan "no deal is better than a bad deal", of course following that mantra is fine if you then don't sign a bad deal then spend years bitching it's someone else's fault you signed a bad deal.

I'll not lie, even if it means us flirting with the relegation positions (although ultimately not being relegated), I would be happy to see Henderson and Reid get far more game time. I think both are capable at this level and both don't seem they are finished developing as a player. I know it's not new signings, but we have to trust our youth policy otherwise what is the point of having the academy in the first place. Plus we've seen this club can produce some of the best footballers in the country.

Edited by Ric

It’s become quite clear that Jim doesn’t trust the likes of Erwin and Dennis. God knows what goes through his mind when he starts Main, other than my options are limited. 

If we can’t shift Erwin & Dennis, and then Brophy isn’t fit  for much longer,then we’re going to struggle with scoring goals in the most important period of the season

Id rather go with one of the youngsters than persevere with Main.

Still got plenty of time in the window for developments, so I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll see movement.

I am beginning to see serious flaws in Goodwins management style. He has to stop saying to himself that his formation will work eventually. We don't have the right players for it to work. 

The talent we do have is by passed ever week. 

This window is crucial. If he doesn't change our formation or sign the correct players we are in big trouble. 

53 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, to paraphrase a political slogan "no deal is better than a bad deal", of course following that mantra is fine if you then don't sign a bad deal then spend years bitching it's someone else's fault you signed a bad deal.

I'll not lie, even if it means us flirting with the relegation positions (although ultimately not being relegated), I would be happy to see Henderson and Reid get far more game time. I think both are capable at this level and both don't seem they are finished developing as a player. I know it's not new signings, but we have to trust our youth policy otherwise what is the point of having the academy in the first place. Plus we've seen this club can produce some of the best footballers in the country.

100% agree with that. :)

Just watched the highlights of the Dunfermline Morton game, bloody hell that is a poor league. It just reminded me of how bad it was watching us under Alex Rae and Ian Murray, things aren’t great for us right now but we are a world away from those days.

Hopefully Jim can move on some of our fringe players as we are probably only 2 players away from being a far more attacking team than we showed pre split.

17 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Just watched the highlights of the Dunfermline Morton game, bloody hell that is a poor league. It just reminded me of how bad it was watching us under Alex Rae and Ian Murray, things aren’t great for us right now but we are a world away from those days.

Hopefully Jim can move on some of our fringe players as we are probably only 2 players away from being a far more attacking team than we showed pre split.

The Thistle v Kilmarnock match was dreadful too.