The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

How good are we talking? I've never actually seen him play. Couldn't even tell you what style of striker he is. Reckon he could play in the top flight?

Well, the current lot cannot play in the top flight so Jamieson cannot be worse as we have nothing to lose.

Saw Lewis Jamison a few times with the U21s or Reserves or whatever they are called these days. 

Definately has something about him. Reminds me a bit of Paul Sturock. The fact he can get a start with the team at the top of the championship and score goals says to me he's ready to make the step up. Knowing us we'll probably release him on a free and ICT will sell him on to the English Championship for mega bucks

Just had a wee look at the league table tonight. Very grim we are in a relegation survival battle  with what should be one of the best squads on paper we have had in a long time. The squad will be shrunk in the January window in Goodwin's words.  Shit it's like a half empty glass. 

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just had a wee look at the league table tonight. Very grim we are in a relegation survival battle  with what should be one of the best squads on paper we have had in a long time. The squad will be shrunk in the January window in Goodwin's words.  Shit it's like a half empty glass. 

He needs players out to get players in

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

He needs players out to get players in

Probably, although I would say the majority of us would suggest he has the players, just refuses to play them in a formation that gets the best out of them.

We have a huge problem if players like Richard Tait are viewed as potential game changing options for us. Erhahon must have spent the last few weeks he's been on the bench counting down the days to January when he can engineer a move away. 

Goodwin does really need to come up with something, not necessarily a change in formation, as the only imaginative play we have seen in recent weeks is the Shaughnessy run from centre half. The rest has been all too slow and predictable.Too much onus is on the wing backs and they are hung out to dry by the lack of help from other players. 

18 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

If you believe what's being reported on BAWA, then the club's losing money and we'll need to cut our budget. Am I also correct that St. Johnstone had the smallest squad in the Scottish PL last season, and won two cups? I would personally rather quality over quantity and if required take ion loan players or even play players out of position.

If true, the financial situation needs to be corrected ASAP, especially given the uncertainty with Covid.

5 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Am I also correct that St. Johnstone had the smallest squad in the Scottish PL last season, and won two cups?

Yeah, but we had literally no injuries at all throughout the season. A totally freak 9 months on that front.

Paying the price this year, right enough.

25 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

If you believe what's being reported on BAWA, then the club's losing money and we'll need to cut our budget. Am I also correct that St. Johnstone had the smallest squad in the Scottish PL last season, and won two cups? I would personally rather quality over quantity and if required take ion loan players or even play players out of position.

If true, the financial situation needs to be corrected ASAP, especially given the uncertainty with Covid.

I don't post on BAWA there are still a few good posters who I know personally but it's not for me. Agree with you better with quality over quantity.  The biggest problem is Goodwin's back three and using wing backs. The other is our strikers but you know that. Good strikers cost a lot of money and very rarely can be picked up in January.  Has Goodwin 4 games left like Barrhead Teacher posted ? Would not surprise me. 

1 hour ago, AlbionSaint said:

I mean, we're playing plenty of guys put of position already so it really can't make that much difference.

On the squad reduction thing, we certainly don't need four strikers, and definitely not when none of them can score.

The thing I don't get is last season we did well and we just needed to build on it. We did well with the back 4. Some games ( I think again Celtic) he changed it up and worked to the back 3. I don't get why this season to build on things you then change the system to be the same every game (ok sometimes it's 3-6-1 and others it's 3-5-2). Why not stick with what the f**k was solid. Our issues were scoring goals and goal difference. I think we are worse both ends this season.

Issue is going to be you can't get anyone decent in January window and we will lose players too. I thought at times this system was going to pan out and work well, but I feel it isn't working. Strikers are dragged out of position with Hoofball. The wingbacks are people not willing to run with the ball and take someone on, so they look to pass it off to someone to then run on, Which feels narrow and exposed. The stacked midfield is missed out and have to get onto 2nd changes from Hoofball.

I felt the back 4 of Tait, Joe, McCarthy, Fraser worked last season. Why f**k that up?

30 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I mean, we're playing plenty of guys put of position already so it really can't make that much difference.

On the squad reduction thing, we certainly don't need four strikers, and definitely not when none of them can score.

Brophy can score, but admittedly has been far from prolific. I don't think Dennis or Erwin have had much of a chance this season. I don't rate Main, to be honest.

Animal on BAWA:

Also told financially we have to make a top six place because of overspending.

Surely that cannot be true? Please, someone tell me that's not true. We're in our first season of fan ownership and we're gambling on a top-six finish?