The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

No doubt his turnaround was spectacular for us and promotion next season, but it’s often forgotten that we were murder in the second half of the promotion season. In our four games against Brechin that year, who were fucking terrible, we only ever managed to beat them by one goal. I’m pretty sure that one was a late winner, possibly Hilson?

Good man manager, questionable tactics wise.

I don't think you can say we were murder the second half of that year. Yes, we dropped off after the winning the title when rotating the squad started, but from New Year to winning the title against Livi we only lost 2 games to Livi and Dundee United away. 

We did struggle against Brechin, but they tended to sit in against us which Ross struggled with- we had a late winner with East Kilbride too when they did the same. Equally on odd occasion things went wrong we took some humpings- I was at East End Park when they put 3 past us and we end up with 10 men. 

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Get any talk of JR returning right in the bin.

An absolute snake.

Nobody is calling for Jack Ross to be appointed manager.  My point is he is a good manager in my opinion.  What are Hibs expecting Ross has more than delivered as such deserved time especially what's going on with injuries and C19. WTF is going on there. 

13 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I never really got the animosity towards Ross. He did fantastically well in his stint for us. He then got offered a bigger job with a considerably bigger salary. You need to take these jobs when they come along. 

I agree. No different to players leaving for bigger clubs. 

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I never really got the animosity towards Ross. He did fantastically well in his stint for us. He then got offered a bigger job with a considerably bigger salary. You need to take these jobs when they come along. 

The most annoying thing about Ross leaving was the useless pile of shite that became the manager after him.<_<

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Was it not the case that at the time he was touting himself around for every so called bigger job in the country. To me as a neutral he was always looking for the next big move and each club was simply a stepping stone for his next move.

He also appears to be very aloof which was summed up by his comments last night that he "was always very calm" when speaking post match. 

Having said that I do think he is a very good football manager. 

11 hours ago, sergie&#x27;s no1 fan said:

Same with Davidson at the Perth version.

Ive got faith in Goodwin and the players to turn this poor run around. 

I think our best chance is Saturday. After that it's both the Old Firm and Dundee Utd away. This is not the greatest group of fixtures to expect a change of fortune, to be honest.

15 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I don't have a problem with him for that. My issue is more that he then kept nicking our players and staff. The thing with Samson was one of the worst.

7 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

I think our best chance is Saturday. After that it's both the Old Firm and Dundee Utd away. This is not the greatest group of fixtures to expect a change of fortune, to be honest.

Saturday is a great chance for us, Hibs have been under performing but the semi against Rangers should prove enough of a warning to us.

I actually fancy us more against the better teams in the league, compare our performances against the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Aberdeen to the likes of the Dundee games, Livi ect. I think it definifely suits us more when teams open up and have a go at, leaving space for us to attack. Where as Dundee and Livi made it very difficult for us to break them down, even at that we still had chances. 

In my opinion in our last 3 games our performances deserved more than 1 point, but the defending and finishing cant be excused.

On 09/12/2021 at 14:23, ZingaliMan said:

You don't think Jim Goodwin has ambitions ? in fact any manager that comes into Saints. has to pork with a lower than avarage budget so we will always be a stepping stone club until we can break into the top six creating more money for our budget.  

I didn't say that, tbf. Jim wants to be Ireland manager and I'm comfortable with that: I hope he makes it. I more took issue with the fact that Jack Ross was so aggressively seeking a move - as it turns out, before we had even secured the title. Was it not Barnsley he went to talk to before the season was finished?

I have no doubt that the fact Ross was already plotting his next move had a major impact on the poor planning he had in place for the next season. He knew he wasn't going to be in charge of St Mirren so he did very little to help*.

The club has admitted its culpability in that respect and took on Gus to deliver transfer consistency, but Gus is away and wasn't replaced so I assume we'll be fucked when Jim moves on as well.

Anyway, look, this is going over very old ground. I don't actually hate Jack Ross, he was within his rights to move on, but I'm within my rights not to feel any sympathy now his long-term career strategy has gone Pete Tong, arguably because he left us so quickly.

* TBF he did sign Paul McGinn, but he also signed Jim Kellerman, so they cancel each other out.

It's not really rocket science why some fans have animosity towards Ross.

I don't disagree he did a brilliant job for us. But he seemingly orchestrated his move away behind the clubs back. I doubt many would have begrudged him moving to a bigger job for far more money, but it was sketchy to say the least.

He then came in and took our first choice goalkeeper, on the eve of a match if I recall, leaving us in the shit.

And then signed how many of our players, including our club captain on the very last day of the transfer window?

This is a football forum. Not really a revelation that fans hold grudges against former managers who left, only to then try and take a handful of our assets with him.

Add to that the absolute bin of shite that came in after him - obviously not his fault - and it's easy to see why some don't look too favourably on Ross.

Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:03
The SMiSA Committee (contact@smisa.net)To:you Details
Logo

Club boardoom update

Our members will no doubt be aware of the discussion surrounding historic tweets made by another of our representatives, club chair John Needham. A few people have asked our position on this issue and now the SFA proceedings against him have concluded regarding the one tweet which was issued whilst he was a Director of the Club, we will publicly share it.

We do not condone John’s tweets and they were an error of judgement on his part. It was right John apologise, which he has done, publicly and privately. However we have had the benefit of working with John over the past 18 months. We do not believe those tweets reflect the measured character we have got to know.

Since becoming club chair shortly after we became majority shareholders in the summer, John has been an effective and hands-on presence around the club. He had been working with staff to help improve club operations after some of the issues that arose over the summer, and had fronted two SMISA member meetings to take questions and report back.

We do not believe his tweet in May should outweigh the good work he has done and is doing. He remains an asset to SMISA and St Mirren and we believe it’s in the club’s best interest he continue. On that basis, he retains the full and unanimous support of the SMISA Board and our board reps.

At the same time, we are aware of recent online discussion around our relationship with Kibble. In any partnership, differences of opinion and approach can arise. The best place for any issues to be managed is in the boardroom and between the shareholders.

We would stress for us to play that out in public would not be in the best interests of St Mirren. On that basis we ask for understanding and realism from members over what SMISA can publicly say.

We will continue to regularly update members on SMISA business, and will push the club to make sure updates about club operations are communicated as openly and promptly as they can be.

What we can say is that the SMISA Board are a group of lifelong St Mirren fans who do what we do because we love the club, and who will act in its best interests at all times. The same is true of our four representatives on the club board (John, Gordon Scott, Alan Wardrop and now Alex White), and we have full faith in them to do that on your behalf.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

You lads might be please to know that we are currently pumping Morton 6 - 1 and Lewis Jamieson has just scored the 6th goal 8) 

Scored a goal you say?

We'll be having him back in January then, as the current shower of duds couldn't score in a barrel of fannies.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

How good are we talking? I've never actually seen him play. Couldn't even tell you what style of striker he is. Reckon he could play in the top flight?

He’s like a younger Billy McKay. Can turn a half yard and fire the ball low. Both scored similar goals yesterday. Check our twitter and you’ll see what I mean.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He’s like a younger Billy McKay. Can turn a half yard and fire the ball low. Both scored similar goals yesterday. Check our twitter and you’ll see what I mean.

Ah yeah, decent finish that.

Not undermining your result here, but fucking hell Morton are bad. They are in serious trouble.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ah yeah, decent finish that.

Not undermining your result here, but fucking hell Morton are bad. They are in serious trouble.

They, QOS and Ayr all need relegated. Unfortunately only 2 of them can be.