The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Must win for Goodwin, not so much the club.

TBF, there were elements of fortune about our win at Dingwall, and I said at the time County were better than their league position. Doesn't surprise me at all that they've grabbed a couple of results now. 

If Jim doesn't start to get a tune out of us in the final third - especially with the resources we've got - then he's going to be in trouble by Xmas.

I don’t think Jim will be in trouble by Xmas no matter what happens and I don’t think he should be.

He could help things however by ditching the ridiculous back three system that he seems to have embraced with the zeal of a convert.

Something that seems to get overlooked is the fact that our goals against is worse this season than ever before under Jim. I think this is down to the system rather than our defensive players not being good enough.

Oddly enough the defensive record is worse away from home where although we are playing better and creating chances in most games we have also conceded 2 or more goals in 6 out of 8 games.

We defend better at home but hardly create a chance let alone score and it is turgid to watch.

2 minutes ago, Bastian Pigclimber said:

I don’t think Jim will be in trouble by Xmas no matter what happens and I don’t think he should be.

He could help things however by ditching the ridiculous back three system that he seems to have embraced with the zeal of a convert.

Something that seems to get overlooked is the fact that our goals against is worse this season than ever before under Jim. I think this is down to the system rather than our defensive players not being good enough.

Oddly enough the defensive record is worse away from home where although we are playing better and creating chances in most games we have also conceded 2 or more goals in 6 out of 8 games.

We defend better at home but hardly create a chance let alone score and it is turgid to watch.

Agree, if, and I don’t think it will happen, we end up relegated then he’d be out but if he keeps us up again I don’t see him under any threat, and I doubt the board will jump the gun with any decision. Too early to be thinking this negatively. 

3 hours ago, Bgsaint said:

Agree, if, and I don’t think it will happen, we end up relegated then he’d be out but if he keeps us up again I don’t see him under any threat, and I doubt the board will jump the gun with any decision. Too early to be thinking this negatively. 

One thing I would add though is the brand of football we are playing. Eye bleeding football is a lot more palatable in mid table than if we are in a relegation fight.
Jim has been well supported financially and well rewarded personally and that brings a higher level of expectation. 

I don’t think we are there yet but I don’t think he is that bulletproof either.

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

One thing I would add though is the brand of football we are playing. Eye bleeding football is a lot more palatable in mid table than if we are in a relegation fight.
Jim has been well supported financially and well rewarded personally and that brings a higher level of expectation. 

I don’t think we are there yet but I don’t think he is that bulletproof either.

We certainly weren't anywhere near "eye bleeding" yesterday.

At times we played some decent football.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:49, Coventry Saint said:

TBF, there were elements of fortune about our win at Dingwall, and I said at the time County were better than their league position. Doesn't surprise me at all that they've grabbed a couple of results now. 

If Jim doesn't start to get a tune out of us in the final third - especially with the resources we've got - then he's going to be in trouble by Xmas.

Far too many games we’ve had to settle for a point, we don’t have a proper number 9 and don’t score goals. If something doesn’t change by Jan, then there’s no doubting we will be in another relegation scrap and Goodwin’s jacket will definitely be on a shoogly peg.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Far too many games we’ve had to settle for a point, we don’t have a proper number 9 and don’t score goals. If something doesn’t change by Jan, then there’s no doubting we will be in another relegation scrap and Goodwin’s jacket will definitely be on a shoogly peg.

I think Brophy would work wide in front three - he works the channels well, and he likes to cut in and shoot, but he's not a pure number 9. To be fair, I remember folk saying much the same about Danny Mullen. Brophy definitely an upgrade on him, but suffers the same sort of problem.

I think we could get away with a 3-4-3, which is the way England play - the 4 being wing backs and a solid platform of two, and when McGrath goes I'd like to see us try it.

58 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Can't believe spme would want Goodwin out. Just sack him get the next manager in get relegated and stay in the championship for the next decade and be done with it.  Unbelievable.  

For clarity, I'm absolutely not saying I want him out. He's a personal hero of mine and I think he's done a (qualified) good job so far. But we can't ignore the evidence of our eyes and we are about to hit a very difficult run of fixtures. If we are 10th/11th by Christmas - not beyond the realms of possibility - then I'm simply predicting that questions will be getting asked.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Brophy would work wide in front three - he works the channels well, and he likes to cut in and shoot, but he's not a pure number 9. To be fair, I remember folk saying much the same about Danny Mullen. Brophy definitely an upgrade on him, but suffers the same sort of problem.

I think we could get away with a 3-4-3, which is the way England play - the 4 being wing backs and a solid platform of two, and when McGrath goes I'd like to see us try it.

Yes I think Brophy could play in a wide position on either side of a front 3. His movement is very good and he has the skill to gain that half yard to get shots away when coming in from the wing.  

For tomorrow night, I'd like to see us going with :

Alnick

Tait  Dunne  Fraser

Millar  Power  Erahon Tanser

Brophy  McGrath (false 9) McAllister

1 hour ago, Yardley said:

Yes I think Brophy could play in a wide position on either side of a front 3. His movement is very good and he has the skill to gain that half yard to get shots away when coming in from the wing.  

For tomorrow night, I'd like to see us going with :

Alnick

Tait  Dunne  Fraser

Millar  Power  Erahon Tanser

Brophy  McGrath (false 9) McAllister

Would prefer Ronan in that line up