The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, Lex said:

I guess it is a sign of our progression that we are discussing new deals for the season following in November.
In a normal season we’d be like;
‘Could be in the championship next year, so we will just leave the new contract offers till we are safe’
I’m still in that conservative 2012 mindset.
I don’t want the club signing them up now, until we know what league we are playing in come August.
Would be great laugh having them all tied down long term by December. Then meltdown and relegation and having to pay top flight contracts whilst struggling against Cove Rangers in the second tier. We’ve been there before.
Not yet.

I think any club outwith maybe 2 or 3 in the Scottish top flight who offer deals to players that don't include a significant salary drop clause in the event of relegation would be very foolish indeed.

We'll definitely be no different, we surely wouldn't be so foolhardy to offer a 2-3 year contact to a player and simply assume we'll still be in the league then so don't bother protecting ourselves.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think any club outwith maybe 2 or 3 in the Scottish top flight who offer deals to players that don't include a significant salary drop clause in the event of relegation would be very foolish indeed.

We'll definitely be no different, we surely wouldn't be so foolhardy to offer a 2-3 year contact to a player and simply assume we'll still be in the league then so don't bother protecting ourselves.

To be fair, when they realise they could be fucked, it does make those clubs very easy to deal with, transfer-wise. 

*Glances at Kilmarnock"

On Alnwick, you'd assume Aberdeen will be after a new GK for next season, so that seems a really obvious target for them, but I dunno if they'll now overthink things like that.

I wouldn't expect him to be the same standard as Alnwick, but without reserve football and with the way covid has fucked with any friendlies it's really hard to tell where Urminsky is in his development.

Did anyone watch him in the U21s in the cup?

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

I wouldn't expect him to be the same standard as Alnwick, but without reserve football and with the way covid has fucked with any friendlies it's really hard to tell where Urminsky is in his development.

Did anyone watch him in the U21s in the cup?

He only played in 1 game, the win v Kelty where he saved all the penalties. Someone else was in goal v Albion.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He only played in 1 game, the win v Kelty where he saved all the penalties. Someone else was in goal v Albion.

I mean, that's good, right?

It would be nice to know if he's ready for the step up to the first team, not as #1 but cover.

Lyness has been a fairly diligent servant despite hardly getting a sniff, not sure I'd want to go into the season as our #1 though.

We have been pretty lucky in terms of keepers recently, Hladky and Alnwick, even Samson to an extent.

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Anyone else got an issue with SMTV? Logged in this morning to watch the prematch interviews but am just getting the first 30 seconds for non-freeview videos. Should be available to me in full as I'm a season ticket holder....

Season ticket holders only had access to SMTV for the first 3 months of the season 

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/4156-st-mirren-tv

Edited by RussellV1

Just saw the crowd for the game……3,016.

I know Livy only brought 79 fans but our home crowds are shocking right now, struggling to see how you market our league beyond the arse cheeks, to improve it.

Games like today don’t help but that’s more like our Championship crowds.

Season Competition Matches sold out Spectators Average  
21/22 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  7 0 23,888 3,413
20/21 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 0 0
19/20 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  15 0 80,647 5,376
18/19 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 101,650 5,350
17/18 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 80,061 4,448
16/17 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 64,745 3,597
15/16 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 63,876 3,549
14/15 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  20 0 72,237 3,612
13/14 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 85,704 4,511
12/13 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 83,394 4,389
11/12 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 85,365 4,493
10/11 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 84,545 4,450
09/10 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 83,859 4,414
08/09 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 102,814 5,411
07/08 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 86,406 4,548
06/07 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  17 0 91,477 5,381

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

I know Livy only brought 79 fans but our home crowds are shocking right now, struggling to see how you market our league beyond the arse cheeks, to improve it.

It all comes down to the product and the product isn’t great at the moment. We aren’t a great side to watch and you knew before kickoff how the game would pan out.

Jim needs to find another gear, or a plan B. The wingback system with only one wingback is fucking guff, but he’s absolutely wedded to it now and it strangling us this season - the stats are telling. As was discussed Friday, Millar in the team and we win some games. He drops out and we don’t. 

It all comes down to the product and the product isn’t great at the moment. We aren’t a great side to watch and you knew before kickoff how the game would pan out.
Jim needs to find another gear, or a plan B. The wingback system with only one wingback is fucking guff, but he’s absolutely wedded to it now and it strangling us this season - the stats are telling. As was discussed Friday, Millar in the team and we win some games. He drops out and we don’t. 

Fair enough but I thought Tait was our best player yesterday

What has happened to Millar? He wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. I thought he had his best game for us against Rangers, got subbed never been seen again. I’d rather him in the wing back position than Tait, especially next week at Tynecastle. 

I thought Power was the only Saints player worthy of note yesterday. 

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

What has happened to Millar? He wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. I thought he had his best game for us against Rangers, got subbed never been seen again. I’d rather him in the wing back position than Tait, especially next week at Tynecastle.

It's a very good question. I'd understand if he was being kept out of the team by a natural right winger but we're playing a defender there instead. Now, for me, Tait isn't a bad player but what I have seen from Millar he offers much more in that position. Is Millar injured? He came in after not playing for ages, had a run of games where it was obvious he was needing match fitness, then gone. Seems odd we've heard nothing. I'd understand if he was being rested a little and in his place we are giving an experienced player (in Tait) some game time, but he's not even on the bench.

I also didn't think Dunne was did badly considering, I know quite a few are not keen on him.

Power clearly read my post that he shouldn't be given an extension because he was probably the best player on the pitch. What I'd give for a time machine for both him and Flynn, as it's clear they are both talented, but don't have the legs around them.

All in all though, despite that game being as tasty as a bleach smoothie, we still look nippy throughout the squad. You can bitch all you like about Goodwin's tactics/selection, and to be fair there are questions to be raised, but all across the field we look like we have players who can win the ball and keep it with confidence. Sure, yesterday wasn't a showcase of that, but I'm thinking back to previous sides and I wonder if this is the most technical we've had in a while.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

It's a very good question. I'd understand if he was being kept out of the team by a natural right winger but we're playing a defender there instead. Now, for me, Tait isn't a bad player but what I have seen from Millar he offers much more in that position. Is Millar injured? He came in after not playing for ages, had a run of games where it was obvious he was needing match fitness, then gone. Seems odd we've heard nothing. I'd understand if he was being rested a little and in his place we are giving an experienced player (in Tait) some game time, but he's not even on the bench.

McAllister has also played there since we last saw Millar - he did well at Motherwell and has done well there earlier in the season when coming off the bench but he can't be the long term fix for the position. I would agree Millar is a better all round option for the position, with Tait as back and perhaps to be a bit more solid. For what it is worth (very little, as nothing I ever hear comes to fruition), I was told a few weeks ago that Goodwin was looking for a right back/right wing back in January which seemed odd to me given we had 2 options for the position already. 

8 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

McAllister has also played there since we last saw Millar - he did well at Motherwell and has done well there earlier in the season when coming off the bench but he can't be the long term fix for the position. I would agree Millar is a better all round option for the position, with Tait as back and perhaps to be a bit more solid. For what it is worth (very little, as nothing I ever hear comes to fruition), I was told a few weeks ago that Goodwin was looking for a right back/right wing back in January which seemed odd to me given we had 2 options for the position already. 

It seems odd, and the fact there is no information only adds to it. Has there been any official comment on his absence? If there has I've missed it.

Setting aside there is a personal issue in his life and neither he nor Goodwin wish to go public on it, the other reasons are probably what we are all thinking. Some bust up between him and Goodwin perhaps? If it is that, it'll need to be quite major as even if they were at loggerheads Millar clearly can do a shift for us and to not include him on the bench is odd. Has he perhaps downed tools, after getting a run in the team then being dropped? In the current climate, I wonder if it's vaxx related? Do we even know if the lad is in the country just now?

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Jay Henderson started the season there too, I think.

Wouldnt be surprised if we were looking at a RWB. For all Tait played well yesterday, it’s pretty clear that he’ll be one that’s away at the end of the season given he’s frequency on the bench and age.

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

It seems odd, and the fact there is no information only adds to it. Has there been any official comment on his absence? If there has I've missed it.

Setting aside there is a personal issue in his life and neither he nor Goodwin wish to go public on it, the other reasons are probably what we are all thinking. Some bust up between him and Goodwin perhaps? If it is that, it'll need to be quite major as even if they were at loggerheads Millar clearly can do a shift for us and to not include him on the bench is odd. Has he perhaps downed tools, after getting a run in the team then being dropped? In the current climate, I wonder if it's vaxx related? Do we even know if the lad is in the country just now?

Millar was definitely injured for the last game before the split. He wasn't on the bench IIRC.

I'm sure he's been carrying an injury.

Matt Millar’s calf problem will be assessed ahead of St Mirren’s trip to Perth.

The Australian defender picked up the injury in training earlier in the week.

He was training in the video clip released along with the manager's interview last week. If one were to assume the principle of Occam's razor then his injury has flared up again.:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Jay Henderson started the season there too, I think.

Wouldnt be surprised if we were looking at a RWB. For all Tait played well yesterday, it’s pretty clear that he’ll be one that’s away at the end of the season given he’s frequency on the bench and age.

Is there any way to combine Tait and Henderson as that would be a cracking RWB/RM/RWF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Millar was definitely injured for the last game before the split. He wasn't on the bench IIRC.

I'm sure he's been carrying an injury.

He was training in the video clip released along with the manager's interview last week. If one were to assume the principle of Occam's razor then his injury has flared up again.:rolleyes:

I mean that... good? At least some idea of what's going on.

I think we all said it at the time that we might be chancing our luck with someone who hasn't played in a while, and had missed pre-season with us, playing week in week out in what is quite a demanding position.

9 hours ago, Torfason said:

Things are still not back to normal, though. I think a lot of folk are reluctant to return to grounds. Does yesterday's attendance include season ticket holders, as I thought you'd sold more than 3,000? Do you have figures for the livestream? 

On a cold day, how many folk would rather stay at home and watch it on TV?