The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

All 3 strips are honking. We hardly wear our home strip so just stick with our current top

It's about creaming the fans like every club does. The days of the same top going on for a few seasons is gone as is the natural material cotton that was used for football tops. 

Jim Goodwin determined to hang on to St Mirren number one Jak Alnwick and reveals ideal Jamie McGrath future outcome - Daily Record

The players out of contract in the summer are:

McGrath, Flynn, Power, Dennis, Tait, Alnwick, Erwin, Tanser, McCarthy, McAllister, Millar, Jack

On the season's showing so far, I'd like Power, Tanser, McCarthy and Alnwick to be offered new contracts.

McGrath obviously has already been offered a contract, but, sadly, there's no chance of him signing it.

I like Millar, but I will reserve judgement until I've seen his contribution for the remainder of the season.

20 hours ago, FTOF said:

Jim Goodwin determined to hang on to St Mirren number one Jak Alnwick and reveals ideal Jamie McGrath future outcome - Daily Record

McGrath, Flynn, Power, Dennis, Tait, Alnwick, Erwin, Tanser, McCarthy, McAllister, Millar, Jack

On the season's showing so far, I'd like Power, Tanser, McCarthy and Alnwick to be offered new contracts.

McGrath obviously has already been offered a contract, but, sadly, there's no chance of him signing it.

I like Millar, but I will reserve judgement until I've seen his contribution for the remainder of the season.

I'd agree with this, I'd probably add McAllister to that list as well, he's in and out and can be a bit of an enigma but he offers something different to what we've got. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Tait and Flynn signing new deals as well. Neither ever lets us down. 

21 hours ago, FTOF said:

I wouldn't give Power a new contract, or at least not if we can find a replacement. It's not that he is a bad player, but I feel he is very much on the cusp of regressing. Some nice tackling sure, but quite a lot of mistakes too.

I wonder if Alnwick spending so long at Rangers with hardly a sniff would impact on his decision making here. Taking aside the financial situation, would he go back to being a #2 at this stage of his career? You expect not. Keepers say it all along, that playing regularly is more important than anything else. Obviously this is the real world and a decent pay rise could help him deal with a "demotion" to another team.

Millar, I'd keep, I think he's getting better. I don't think he's going to be a stand out for us, but I feel he offers us exactly what we need on the right.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I wouldn't give Power a new contract, or at least not if we can find a replacement. It's not that he is a bad player, but I feel he is very much on the cusp of regressing. Some nice tackling sure, but quite a lot of mistakes too.

I wonder if Alnwick spending so long at Rangers with hardly a sniff would impact on his decision making here. Taking aside the financial situation, would he go back to being a #2 at this stage of his career? You expect not. Keepers say it all along, that playing regularly is more important than anything else. Obviously this is the real world and a decent pay rise could help him deal with a "demotion" to another team.

Millar, I'd keep, I think he's getting better. I don't think he's going to be a stand out for us, but I feel he offers us exactly what we need on the right.

Wingbacks are rare as hell. If that's our system, then we should do whatever we can to keep hold of decent ones.

23 hours ago, FTOF said:

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I'd agree with this, I'd probably add McAllister to that list as well, he's in and out and can be a bit of an enigma but he offers something different to what we've got. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Tait and Flynn signing new deals as well. Neither ever lets us down. 

I think Tait and Flynn have lost that wee bit that reserve football might have retained had it been available.

I am using the Jack Ross/Sam Foley theory for Power. 2nd season syndrome. I have been impressed with him this season but his legs aren't guaranteed to last beyond this season.

Resigned to losing McGrath, McCarthy and Alnwick. Probably Tanser too, his performances will attract a better offer elsewhere if he keeps it up.

Erwin, Dennis, McAllister can all be replaced for what they contribute/contributed. Would take a risk in the market to replace them. 

Would like to see a fully fit Millar before judging him. 

Surprised to see people on the fence with Millar. Would have thought what he's shown so far would be enough to convince most if not all he's worth another year. All with the caveat he doesn't have an absolute stinker in the remainder of the season.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Surprised to see people on the fence with Millar. Would have thought what he's shown so far would be enough to convince most if not all he's worth another year. All with the caveat he doesn't have an absolute stinker in the remainder of the season.

He probably will be good enough enough to be fair to him. 

Where was he the last few games though? Disappeared from the starting line up iirc.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He probably will be good enough enough to be fair to him. 

Where was he the last few games though? Disappeared from the starting line up iirc.

Games in which we toiled.... hmm...

Honestly, a fit and motivated McAllister is what we all want. Sadly, it's likely we'll only get half of that.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wingbacks are rare as hell. If that's our system, then we should do whatever we can to keep hold of decent ones.

We had our best run of the season with Millar coming into the team and then lost a bit of form when he dropped out.

He’s not been spectacular, but it’s invaluable having someone that knows that role and he gives us so much balance. 

I guess it is a sign of our progression that we are discussing new deals for the season following in November.
In a normal season we’d be like;
‘Could be in the championship next year, so we will just leave the new contract offers till we are safe’
I’m still in that conservative 2012 mindset.
I don’t want the club signing them up now, until we know what league we are playing in come August.
Would be great laugh having them all tied down long term by December. Then meltdown and relegation and having to pay top flight contracts whilst struggling against Cove Rangers in the second tier. We’ve been there before.
Not yet.