The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Goodwin says we've made the club's biggest ever offer to Jamie McGrath. We have zero chance of him staying, but I applaud the ambition.

I’m pretty sure he’ll sign and play out the rest of his career as a Buddie.  Already looking forward to his testimonial in 2035. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Goodwin says we've made the club's biggest ever offer to Jamie McGrath. We have zero chance of him staying, but I applaud the ambition.

It's a good statement of intent that will lead to nothing but it's showing they are doing everything they can to keep him.

Does going public with it help us going forward when trying to sign up current players on longer contracts or sign new players? Im not sure. Will everyone be expecting McGrath like wages because they know we can afford it and price us out? 

A side note, Brophy must be seething we are offering McGrath more than his 10k a week wage.

Obviously very very little chance he'll sign it, but if they bump his wages up enough for the rest of this season and have some attractive release clauses for a sale next year then perhaps the chances will increase to 'very little'.

Even if he doesn't sign, it let's any potential cheapskate PCA chancers know that the base line their competing with has gone up.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It's a good statement of intent that will lead to nothing but it's showing they are doing everything they can to keep him.

Does going public with it help us going forward when trying to sign up current players on longer contracts or sign new players? Im not sure. Will everyone be expecting McGrath like wages because they know we can afford it and price us out? 

I'd be surprised if anyone genuinely believed that the apparent offer to McGrath was real and not just a token effort to get some nice PR amongst the fanbase tbh, so it won't affect your future business at all.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be surprised if anyone genuinely believed that the apparent offer to McGrath was real and not just a token effort to get some nice PR amongst the fanbase tbh, so it won't affect your future business at all.

Why would we not be trying to keep our star player? Obviously the chances are very slim, but without doubt we will have made McGrath a very decent offer. 

Nothing to do with nice PR.

Yeah nice tokenism but can’t see any benefit to the player of him signing it. Just puts an unnecessary barrier up between him and a big contract down south.
If I was his agent I’d certainly advise him to leave it alone.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yeah nice tokenism but can’t see any benefit to the player of him signing it. Just puts an unnecessary barrier up between him and a big contract down south.
If I was his agent I’d certainly advise him to leave it alone.

No big offer was forth coming from down south none could meet our low valuation. Archibald and Co were on £3,000 a week back in the day McGrath has been offered more so anything from four grand through to six a week I would guess. 

11 hours ago, Munoz said:

Why would we not be trying to keep our star player? Obviously the chances are very slim, but without doubt we will have made McGrath a very decent offer. 

Nothing to do with nice PR.

Spot on. We should be doing everything in our power regardless of how slim the chances are and I don't think anyone believes it will go further than an offer. St Mirren's best offer will peanuts for a club down south to afford. The offer should be left on the table until McGrath signs elsewhere as who knows what could play out in the rest of the season.

The same efforts should be put into renewing McCarthy's contract, although I'm sure he is in a similar boat and will move on come the end of the season. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

No big offer was forth coming from down south none could meet our low valuation. Archibald and Co were on £3,000 a week back in the day McGrath has been offered more so anything from four grand through to six a week I would guess. 

They won’t have to meet our valuation in January, they can offer him a contract without involving us. Unless Jamie signs this contract of course, which will put an unnecessary obstacle (from his point of view) between him and those contracts.
We are certainly right to ask the question of course, we have nothing to lose. He’s been saying no to the contract that has been on the table from us for more than a year, might as well sweeten the nut a bit, just incase.

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

They won’t have to meet our valuation in January, they can offer him a contract without involving us. Unless Jamie signs this contract of course, which will put an unnecessary obstacle (from his point of view) between him and those contracts.
We are certainly right to ask the question of course, we have nothing to lose. He’s been saying no to the contract that has been on the table from us for more than a year, might as well sweeten the nut a bit, just incase.

Don't think we will hold onto him but it shows the club is heading in the right direction trying to keep its best player something I have not seen since the hay-day's of the late 70's early 80's. 

I think Goodwin is saying the right things, even though I don't think we have a cat's chance in hell of him signing an extension. Maybe, perhaps maybe, if he got an injury and we rolled it over for a year until he was fit - but obviously none of us would want that.

The squad seems like a fairly even minded bunch, overall, I do have my concerns about going so public with the "we'll make him the best paid player ever" as I feel it could (not saying it will, but it might) unsettle those who feel they should be on a bigger wage.

How much would this bumper package be? Who knows but I would consider most of our players are on somewhere between 1000 - 2000 pw, just as a guess it may be more it may be less. If you trust the Statista figures then we were the third lowest salary budget in the 19/20 season. So are we thinking somewhere in the 3000-3500 figure? It's probably the top level we could pay any player and it's certainly, just down to inflation, more than we've paid previous players.

55 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think Goodwin is saying the right things, even though I don't think we have a cat's chance in hell of him signing an extension. Maybe, perhaps maybe, if he got an injury and we rolled it over for a year until he was fit - but obviously none of us would want that.

The squad seems like a fairly even minded bunch, overall, I do have my concerns about going so public with the "we'll make him the best paid player ever" as I feel it could (not saying it will, but it might) unsettle those who feel they should be on a bigger wage.

How much would this bumper package be? Who knows but I would consider most of our players are on somewhere between 1000 - 2000 pw, just as a guess it may be more it may be less. If you trust the Statista figures then we were the third lowest salary budget in the 19/20 season. So are we thinking somewhere in the 3000-3500 figure? It's probably the top level we could pay any player and it's certainly, just down to inflation, more than we've paid previous players.

Goodwin saying highest offer in the clubs history . Archibald, Victor and Co were on £3,000 and above. 

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin saying highest offer in the clubs history . Archibald, Victor and Co were on £3,000 and above. 

I knew they were all well paid for the time, but I didn't think it was that high.

30 minutes ago, Ric said:

I knew they were all well paid for the time, but I didn't think it was that high.

Archibald was paid per game.

I know one of the directors who was responsible for contracts etc. at the time.

It was crazy money. Can't remember what the exact figures were!

53 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Archibald was paid per game.

I know one of the directors who was responsible for contracts etc. at the time.

It was crazy money. Can't remember what the exact figures were!

It was crazy money and started our money problems. I remember at the time three grand being mentioned in the press . 

Fairly sure this isn't the first time we've trotted out the record breaking/highest ever offer when trying to get someone on a new contract in the last few years. Might have been Hladky or Magennis who apparently received a similar bumper offer. We may have made a record breaking number of contract offers to Doyle-Hayes but that's different...

Makes the club look like it's doing everything when they almost certainly know (and perhaps may already have been told) the player in question is offski come the end of the season.