The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Might we see a Lewis Morgan-esque situation whereby we still get a fee for him in Jan, from a club keen to jump the queue?

With Morgan we were due a development fee anyway I believe, we won’t be getting anything for McGrath.
I’d rather keep him till the end of the season and have him leave for nothing than lose him for next to nothing in the next window.
I’m sure he will have several contract offers on the table on the 1st of January and he will sign one of them.
We will then likely get a low ball bid from the club he’s signed for to take him early. Hopefully we say no and he keeps playing the way he has been for a few more months.

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

We will then likely get a low ball bid from the club he’s signed for to take him early. Hopefully we say no and he keeps playing the way he has been for a few more months.

See when you put it like that, it's a shame Hibs are going to get blown out the water here because I'd bite their hand off for that Allan swap.

Scott Allan is a fine player no doubt. However McGrath features almost 100% of the time. Scott Allan has/has had many issues that mean that would likely never be the case with him sadly.

I would pass on Scott Allan for those reasons I'm afraid.

Take it the new ticketing site is so basic it can't have a fan registration scheme to prevent the sale of tickets for the home stands to the arse cheeks and hence fans from outwith Paisley are unable to purchase tickets unless they trek into the ticket office ?

Piss poor state of affairs that !

Oh and spare us the bullshit about the "decision making process" being in progress. We have known since June there was a decision to be made by late October. That and the fact they are giving the blue cheeks both stands tells us EXACTLY what the outcome of a sham "ongoing decision making process" is going to be.

Scott Allan reminds me of Kyle McAllister. If he was fit and could consistently last 90 mins he would be a standout player. However serious health issues have restricted both of their careers. I'd pick McGrath every time.

5 hours ago, dublin_bud said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how is the 120k figure discredited? 

The stand holds 1657. Call it an average ticket price of £24 (I think an adult ticket is actually £27 but there'll be concession tickets etc). Multiply that by 3 games and you get £120k.

That's not including any family stand season ticket holders that actually pay the extra to sit elsewhere.

It hasn't.

Except by people making up numbers they have no idea about.

1 hour ago, scam75 said:

Scott Allan is a fine player no doubt. However McGrath features almost 100% of the time. Scott Allan has/has had many issues that mean that would likely never be the case with him sadly.

I would pass on Scott Allan for those reasons I'm afraid.

41 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Scott Allan reminds me of Kyle McAllister. If he was fit and could consistently last 90 mins he would be a standout player. However serious health issues have restricted both of their careers. I'd pick McGrath every time.

Both fair points, but Jamie McGrath is leaving. We're not choosing between the two: the (hypothetical) choice in this instance would be Scott Allan or someone else. Or nothing.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Both fair points, but Jamie McGrath is leaving. We're not choosing between the two: the (hypothetical) choice in this instance would be Scott Allan or someone else. Or nothing.

Surely Kiltie is the replacement for McGrath. I know some of our fans have written him off already for some reason, but I think it'll be worth giving him a chance. If we'd been playing the current formation from the start of the season he'd probably have fitted in fine.

A bit strange isn't it that Ethan hasn't made the last couple of U21 squads?

Lots of appearances in the top league for us and starting games just now. In the midfield tonight is Kelly (Rangers reserves), Fiorini (Lincoln, League 1) and Williamson (just 3 starts for Livingston in his career). On the bench, a couple of midfielders from U23 teams down south with limited experience.

Can only assume that Gemmill doesn't rate him for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Lots of appearances in the top league for us and starting games just now. In the midfield tonight is Kelly (Rangers reserves), Fiorini (Lincoln, League 1) and Williamson (just 3 starts for Livingston in his career). On the bench, a couple of midfielders from U23 teams down south with limited experience.

Indeed.

The U-21 midfield is poor and lacks presence.

Erhahon has his critics, but he's head and shoulders above the players in that midfield tonight.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I wouldn't waste any time trying to understand Scott Gemmills decision making.

23 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He has been superb this season. Definitely went up a notch or two.

Hope he gets a gig down South though. Would be sad to see him rot away at the green bigots. 

Was just about to say the exact same. A notable improvement in his play this season; he’s so comfortable under pressure, can turn a player with ease as we seen when he embarrassed Scott Brown a couple of weeks ago, multiple times. 

If he had teams watching him last season and willing to pay a transfer fee for him, he’s going to have a different calibre of club looking at him at the end of this season. 

16 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Scot Gemmill hates St. Mirren.

There have definitely been quite a few decent players who were playing first team football in the top league in Scotland who got surprisingly few U21 caps. I don't even think John McGinn made double figure appearances. It's surely been a contributing factor to some players playing for different countries as well.

On 07/10/2021 at 15:09, Coventry Saint said:

See when you put it like that, it's a shame Hibs are going to get blown out the water here because I'd bite their hand off for that Allan swap.

Totally agree. Scott Allan would be an excellent replacement. 

On 07/10/2021 at 18:42, GAD said:

Surely Kiltie is the replacement for McGrath. I know some of our fans have written him off already for some reason, but I think it'll be worth giving him a chance. If we'd been playing the current formation from the start of the season he'd probably have fitted in fine.

That reason being he's not very good. He's had seven games so far and has been Meh in them all 

Edited by Insaintee

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

That reason being he's not very good. He's had seven games so far and has been Meh in them all 

McGrath's first few games for the club were meh. He didn't actually start showing anything until the start of the next season when he signed in the January. He was mostly on the bench. Power was also shite up to and including completely shitting the bed against Celtic. Writing off Kiltie at this stage is staggeringly stupid.

15 minutes ago, GAD said:

McGrath's first few games for the club were meh. He didn't actually start showing anything until the start of the next season when he signed in the January. He was mostly on the bench. Power was also shite up to and including completely shitting the bed against Celtic. Writing off Kiltie at this stage is staggeringly stupid.

We'll see, 

2 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

We'll see, 

We will see what? Whether writing off a player after 7 games is stupid or not? We don't need to see that, we already know it is because we've seen it with McGrath, a player you must have also written off due to your 7 game rule.

No-one was talking about McGrath at all after signing. All the plaudits were on McCarthy of the two.

Unreal that you can write a player off after 7 games. Kiltie has shown that he's a solid hand in the league and there's no reason he won't be for us either.