The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

In the midst of a lot of noise, and some even worse knicker wetting than usual, we’ve had a pretty good start. We are in a better position now than we were this time last season (we were ninth on seven points after eight games in 2020).
This year we’ve had just two losses in 13 games. At Parkhead and at home to Hearts, which we shouldn’t have lost. We’re sitting in seventh and I think that’s about right. That’s where we finished last season and I’m sure most/all of us will take that again come May. It would be great to push on, but I think that’s going to be very difficult given how much stronger the league is.
It could have been even better, the two 0-0’s at home to United and Saintees could easily have been three points had our goals in both games not been incorrectly disallowed.
I think that overall the squad is in better shape than last season. Tanser and Millar offer us something different on the flanks and Power is the experienced old head in the middle that we lacked last year. Erhahon is developing and getting better and I expect him to continue to prove a lot of his doubters wrong. Not many 20 year olds have almost 60 top flight games under their belt. Ronan is clearly another quality addition who gives us an extra threat from midfield. He was involved in all three goals last week and he was involved in our goal again today. As Jim said, he’s not even match fit yet, there’s more to come from him.
Add those new guys into a team that’s full of top flight experience and there’s definitely reason to be cautiously optimistic. A good season for us is keeping ourselves clear of the relegation dogfight in my opinion. We haven’t managed it often in the top flight in the last 30 years. We did last season, and I think we’ve got enough to do it again.
Oh, and if we could win the Scottish Cup, that would be lovely.

20 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The Ali de Foy interview with Matt Miller on SMTV covering topics like marmite, castles and Ethan's dress sense is quite a tonic to the usual boring footballer interview. More of those please! What a nice guy too; can't be easy for him in a new place with his partner and family back in Australia.

If any of our fans are on Millar's back, then simply put, they are ignorant wankers.

The guy is clearly has been thrown in at the deep end, having had no training with a team or game time for several months.

I think that he's improved the team, and once he's up to full fitness he'll be a huge player for us.

51 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If any of our fans are on Millar's back, then simply put, they are ignorant wankers.

The guy is clearly has been thrown in at the deep end, having had no training with a team or game time for several months.

I think that he's improved the team, and once he's up to full fitness he'll be a huge player for us.

This. Whilst today he was slightly slack a couple of times in general I think he’s added a good balance to the side. Gets up the right side well and nearly popped up with a headed goal today. Definitely more to come. 

We have went from a 6 game winless streak to a 5 game unbeaten run and it feels much better.

Got to trust Goody. When you look at other clubs in the division already on the verge of crisis mode we are definitely going on the right direction.

Said before the Aberdeen game we needed the first win, everything seems much rosier now. 

With Alnwick, the back 3 with McCarthy included, Power and Erhahon, that is a strong base to build the team on.

Captain Handsome has been a stalwart recently, the Irish ballers continue to ball. Brophy looking like his old self. Life is good again.

Huge game in Dingwall before the blue bigots roll into town. Bring it on.

About yesterday's game, I feel we did to Livi what they did to us in the cup (x2), score fairly early on then do enough to frustrate a side who isn't scoring goals.

On another topic, I see that Finlayson was playing as a RB for Kelty, if the BBC formation layout is to be believed.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Aren't they both blue bigots now?

It's certainly going that way. 

Rumours from yesterday's game doesn't sound great but remember the incident with Gardyne when Gerrard through him under the bus last season and when he was accused of saying a homophobic phrase and it was later proved otherwise. God knows why MM decided to get involved yesterday.

County fans on here are decent as wel, shame to see what's happening at their club. A real shit show.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Rumours from yesterday's game doesn't sound great but remember the incident with Gardyne when Gerrard through him under the bus last season and when he was accused of saying a homophobic phrase and it was later proved otherwise. God knows why MM decided to get involved yesterday.

I think this will also turn out to be a phrase that was misheard. This isn't because County fans are somehow virtuous and wouldn't do such a thing (sadly that sort of element exists in all our supports), but it would seem crazy to racially abuse a player when you have players in your own team that are "the same colour" , but to do so amongst a very small travelling support and when your manager has been caught out being racist seems lacking in any sort of awareness. That said, idiots who do shout this sort of shit really think about anything other than the offence it'll cause?

So, yeah, it just seems "unlikely" someone would abuse Fuchs, but if he feels in any way he has been it's entirely right for there to be some investigation into the claims. It's unlikely he would have made up the claims, although as I said, I feel this is probably someone mishearing a comment.

Why McKay felt the need to interject, is beyond me. it seems, imo, that he thinks he hasn't done "much wrong" and what he did wrong people have over exaggerated. Most people embroiled in such situations would be wise to stfu and "do a Winchester" but not him, he sees fit to fire into this debate - which puts him in an awkward position - only to go on and question the motives of a person holding up a t-shirt condemning racism.

Edited by Ric

On another topic, looking at the BBC line-up for the Kelty game, Finlayson was playing as a traditional RB for them.

Whether he did, and whether the BBC line-up is in any way correct I have no idea, thought I'd mention it.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

On another topic, looking at the BBC line-up for the Kelty game, Finlayson was playing as a traditional RB for them.

Whether he did, and whether the BBC line-up is in any way correct I have no idea, thought I'd mention it.

Didn't we play him on the right side a couple of times? I may be misremembering.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Delve into the League 2 forum, there are bound to be KH fans who were at the game.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Delve into the League 2 forum, there are bound to be KH fans who were at the game.

I'm sure if he plays either brilliantly or dreadfully, we'll have Kelty fans in this thread saying so. If we hear nothing, then he's just been average.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

When did you lads creep so high up the table?!

I haven’t looked at it too closely for a few weeks, but last time I noticed you were about bottom equal.

Quietly gathering points under the radar eh? 

You know when we are doing well when you’re fellow Fake, Randomgob is missing from here!

34 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I haven’t looked at it too closely for a few weeks, but last time I noticed you were about bottom equal.

League's still so tight, a couple wins will do that for anyone right now. I was disappointed Celtic got that winner today as they were firmly in our sights 🙂

I'm still not 100% convinced by us or our performances but I'm more than happy with the points. If we can take three from Dingwall then we'll have had a very good first round of fixtures, self destruction at Parkhead aside.

45 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Unbeaten in 5. We should, arguably, have 4 or 6 points more than we currently have.

Aye a close squashed up league is good for all, maybe with one club adrift at the bottom as a safety net.  Could be a few clubs battling for 5th and 6th place.

Not convinced Livi won't suddenly go on a run, they were in a similar position this time last year and then went 14 unbeaten.  Dundee look like they'll struggle unless they bite the bullet and replace the manager.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye a close squashed up league is good for all, maybe with one club adrift at the bottom as a safety net.  Could be a few clubs battling for 5th and 6th place.

Not convinced Livi won't suddenly go on a run, they were in a similar position this time last year and then went 14 unbeaten.  Dundee look like they'll struggle unless they bite the bullet and replace the manager.

The Livi fans are pretty doom and gloom however they had more and the better chances yesterday although we bossed the game. They also have a lot of injuries. Difficult to call this season who'll go down as it is very fine margins.

The Arabs have only scored 5 goals yet have 4 points more than us and we have scored 9 goals. 1 goal wins can get you quickly up the league.