The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The most frustrating thing for me with regards to Cammy Macpherson is that he can change a game from the bench - we don't have many of those types of players.

It was only at the start of last season he was being lauded as a hidden gem (the likes of A View from the Terrace and Sportscene were raving about him). His ability hasn't disappeared overnight - but he's not had a consistent run of games.

He also pops up with the occasional screamer and you just don't know when that might be needed. If he does that a few times in a season he's well worth having, not to mention the cover he provides when others around him are getting sent off or injured.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he is a world-beater and I'd be more than happy to loan him out if I felt central midfield was a particularly strong area of the park for us, but it's not.

He doesnt offer enough defensively for me.

The real problem is i see him as an attacking mid and jamie and now ronin are ahead of him.

Defensively he can't play centre mid for me.

He needs a free role behind strikers imo

Although i do wish the lad well as long as its not against us

Seems he wanted to leave and I guess it now means he will go for nothing. 

Probably but also means we get him for at least another 5 months. His performances thus far show that he’s not downed tools despite the interest & want to move.

He’s done himself no harm with his performance tonight. He’ll certainly be able to get himself better than a last-minute desperate move to Hibs.

Can't see him downing tools. He will be trying to keep in the international frame and will be looking to impress other teams. 

In all fairness I wish he had moved on. Not really to Hibs but down south. 

I do think we should try get Scott Allan in January. He is a player we lack. 

15 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Opinions differ for everyone, I can’t see what the fuss about Erhahon is. Overhyped overrated. 

But on to more pressing issues, let’s hope Goodwin manages to get a couple of decent free agents who can make a similar impact as Durmus and Connoly did for us last season.

I’ve said for months that Erhahon is just an accident waiting to happen every game. The amount of times he is unable to control a pass, which results in him lunging in to a tackle that he’s not favourite to win, must happen 3/4 times a game. He’s dished out some absolutely shocking tackles in his short time in the first team. I don’t know how many times he has been sent off for us over the last couple of years but it must be at least 5.

That’s not to say there is no hope of him improving, because he has shown signs of doing that in both his physical appearance and technical game, but in my opinion he’s not of the ability to be a starting CM for any Scottish Premiership side at this time. He’s going to be suspended for a couple of games now so it will be interesting to see who Goodwin picks in midfield, I assume McGrath and Ronan will be given a chance together. From Ronan’s interview he says he can play the deeper role, so I’m expecting to see him there. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t know how many times he has been sent off for us over the last couple of years but it must be at least 5.

I just looked this up, as I couldn't remember him being sent off before Saturday. According to Soccer base, he's been sent off twice, on Saturday there and in 2018/19, also against St Johnstone. 

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I just looked this up, as I couldn't remember him being sent off before Saturday. According to Soccer base, he's been sent off twice, on Saturday there and in 2018/19, also against St Johnstone. 

Is he the boy who scored that absolute belter at Pittodrie?

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Oh :lol: well I’m well off there. I do still think he is very rash. I hope he improves with us and turns in to the player we see glimpses of, but I just don’t think he’s of the quality needed at this end of the Premiership. 

The split opinion on Cammy MacPherson as a player interests me. I've quite liked him when I've seen him but know from experience that when players divide opinion as much, you often find they can fall into the Ross Callachan/Paul Paton category of running around a lot/trying hard which some supporters seem to lap up and place more emphasis on than anything else. 

Assuming he does do both those things, what's he actually like as a footballer? 

As for McGrath, I wonder if any of the transfer chat has affected him. He's not been great so far this season but then he's been far from bad and overall the team has been pretty pish.

He knows he's going, or at least we know he won't be signing an extension, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed he didn't go in the window that just shut if he ends up having a stellar 6 months (and he's certainly capable of that) in order to promote himself for his next contract - wherever that is.