The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Back into the free agent market. It served us pretty well last season but we've made a bit of a James Hunt of this today IMO.

Why Hibs waited until the last possible minute to throw in a deal involving three players I have absolutely no idea.

Sounds like we were willing to go with it by all accounts too.

Scott Allan would have been decent, but Drey Wright is utter pish.

Just now, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

This is looking like a long old slog until at least January.

Jan will be too late for this squad, Goodwin will be out of a job if he continues to play defensive minded hoofball. 

He’s had months to sign a couple of half decent replacements. 

Fucking shambles from top to bottom. We get the early stuff out of the way and decide we need pace and width.

We have a manager who fucking refuses to play with wingers though, so most wingers are like 'aye, nah f**k that'. So we wait till the very, very, very last fart to try and do some business and the window closes on us with a 'we're disappointed' tweet.

Shocking atmosphere around the state of the club just now, compounded by a fucking awful team playing shite football with a manager who seems to think that this 'style' of football he insists on playing is progressive or effective when it's really not. We've regressed so much on the tentative progress we made last season that we look almost back to square one and his first season in charge.

Utterly shite.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Jan will be too late for this squad, Goodwin will be out of a job if he continues to play defensive minded hoofball. 

He’s had months to sign a couple of half decent replacements. 

Weren't you all worried he was going to move on to bigger and better things not so long ago? Two semi-finals and all that? LOL

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

Wait, I thought you guys would be pleased that you're keeping McGrath?

Definitely but the way we play football this season is going to do McGrath no favours nor will it play to his strengths. There is no width or pace in the team whatsoever. Our primary tactic is shell it forward and maybe get a flick on or knockdown. 

The thought of Scott Allan coming in, having a bit of composure and picking out a man ahead of him was a very, very brief respite that despite losing McGrath, we'd maybe play to a different strength. In saying that though I've no doubt Goodwin would have fucked with him like he fucked with Doyle Hayes by playing him in a totally ineffective role anyway.

Talk about nickerwetting 🤣🤣

We havent replaced jdh in my opinion until today so mabe the lad ronin has been brought in to play that role and we can now play the game through the middle of the pitch?

I for 1 am looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.

Rwb seems to be the only area we missed out on.

I'll reserve judgement untill we see how the team plays now and i for 1 am glad we kept jamie, we need to build the team around him.

Give them time guys come on were barely a handful of games into the season and the toys are out the pram 

As for cammy i think its a win win for us as he was never getting to play ahead of jamie or ronin and thus not getting any game time and id say Ethan's position aint safe now either

Edited by Jama

I don’t think Scott Allan fits in any Goodwin system, Goodwin would’ve likely had him on the bench the majority of the time. He wouldn’t work hard enough regardless of how talented he is. I’d have him at Saints no problem but it’s hard to see how he wouldn’t suffer a similar fate to McAllister. Andreu was a square peg in a round hole while he was here under Goodwin too.

That deal would’ve been a disaster for us, they are lucky it was Jack Ross shitting the bed at the last minute. We just need to continue to keep McGrath sweet and allow him his chances to get in the Ireland squad as he is probably away come January never mind next summer and we do rely on him & Shaughnessy for goals.

Kept our best player, signed a midfeilder, which we needed, and unloaded a squad player who has shown nothing to suggest he'll be anything other than that in the 80 odd appearances he's had for the club (but he never gets a chance!!!). I think some of you made a bit of a c**t of yourselves last night over some Twitter rumours and have just decided to double down.

Unless we play McGrath as a number 10 just off the striker it's not really going to make any difference. 

Jim started with 6 defenders on Sunday - that's Jimmy Bone style tactics.

Personally I don't rate Cammy, however it's a strange decision to loan him to a team in the same division.