The St. Mirren FC 2021/22 thread

21 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i have no issue with that, but if you had gone the other way, Saints to Celtic, especially as old as 16, this place would go into meltdown

If I had went from St Mirren to Celtic at the age of 16 I would have been a complete loser, you are absolutely right. Luckily I didn’t though, and anyone who does that would be doing it for the sole reason of getting to watch their team win every week. 

I used to play Football Manager when I was younger, and I would always start at a team like Dundee United or Raith Rovers. 10 years into the game when you had become the best team in Scotland and we’re winning the league every year it became extremely boring and I stopped. That’s what supporting Rangers or Celtic is like, except their fans revel in that dominance and use it like a personality trait. There’s no entry criteria to support a team that wins every week, you don’t need to pass a test to support Celtic. If I was that way inclined I could turn round tomorrow and say I support Real Madrid and laugh at Celtics lack of European cups, I wouldn’t do that though because I want to go and support a team where winning a game means something, a genuine achievement.

22 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

. If I was that way inclined I could turn round tomorrow and say I support Real Madrid and laugh at Celtics lack of European cups.

or you could support Rangers and laugh at Real Madrid's lack of domestic titles....🤪😂

55 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

there is absolutely nothing superior about anyone who ''sees the light'' and jumps to a diddy team from either of the ugly sisters, are you telling me, that most diddy team fans, made that choice themselves and not because their old man, granddad, uncle or brother took them along to Ayr, Motherwell or St Mirren ?

I made the decision to support St Mirren, despite having no connection to the town or even knowing anything about the club, based on it stopped 5yo me getting a kicking for saying the wrong club when asked "who do you support". Absolutely nobody else in my family, or even extended family, have any interest in football.

Just now, Ric said:

I made the decision to support St Mirren, despite having no connection to the town or even knowing anything about the club, based on it stopped 5yo me getting a kicking for saying the wrong club when asked "who do you support". Absolutely nobody else in my family, or even extended family, have any interest in football.

yes at 5 years old, kids aren't clever enough to follow up with, ''aye, but who do your REALLY support''

9 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

yes at 5 years old, kids aren't clever enough to follow up with, ''aye, but who do your REALLY support''

Not really sure the point you are making there.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not really sure the point you are making there.

its just the generic response from the ugly sister fanbase, to them, or most of them, you have to have a preference

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

its just the generic response from the ugly sister fanbase, to them, or most of them, you have to have a preference

Ah, right, I thought that was meant to be me saying that not them. btw, these were "older boys", in the 70s of Glasgow you could guarantee a collection of "older boys" holding court and generally beating up anyone they deem unacceptable park patrons. Halcyon days, eh? Summers too long, mars bars bigger than they are now, etc.. etc..

18 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

No getting away from the fact that Goodwin has signed a pile of shite players. This squad look destined to finish in the automatic relegation spot. 

Give you a wave on the way past, did you really think it was going to go well this season recruiting from a relegated team ?

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Thanks for the clarification I think I’ve got about 3 games mixed up :lol: I was sure it was 7-1 the game Venegoor dived outside the box, but now I think about it I can’t remember anyone scoring for Saints. 

It was the 1st game of the season, live on Sky.  Smith was the ref, VoH was fouling Haining and got his shot away then fell over. Smith gave the penalty and red carded Haining for denying a goal scoring opportunity which was ridiculous.

Robson scored as Mark Howard allowed the ball to squirm under his body. The game finished 1-0.

Saints appealed and allegedly Smith refused to review the video of the incident and the red card stood.

I'm pretty sure we haven't lost 7-1 at Celtic Park since the 80s. 

10 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Give you a wave on the way past, did you really think it was going to go well this season recruiting from a relegated team ?

At this point most would go with "the players aren't being used most effectively" rather than "the players are shit".

It remains to be seen, of course, and you are welcome to bookmark that comment for later should the latter of those become the presiding opinion.

29 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

To be fair we desperately needed someone like Power last season, he had his first bad game yesterday with a daft tackle.

Brophy has scored goals at this level and we beat the likes of Aberdeen to his signature.

Kiltie is a bit of a weird one as it doesn't look like he fits in the team beside McGrath, but that probably won't be an issue for much longer.

If we signed your defence and goalkeepers I'd have been more concerned. 

44 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair we desperately needed someone like Power last season, he had his first bad game yesterday with a daft tackle.

Brophy has scored goals at this level and we beat the likes of Aberdeen to his signature.

Kiltie is a bit of a weird one as it doesn't look like he fits in the team beside McGrath, but that probably won't be an issue for much longer.

If we signed your defence and goalkeepers I'd have been more concerned. 

Think the Aberdeen connection with Brophy was well wide, if  they wanted him I don’t think he would have joined you.

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

We have strikers that are equal to our nearest competitors in the goal scoring stakes.

Indeed. And one of them scored at Celtic Park yesterday.

Wasn't his fault the officials fecked it up.

20 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Only seen the highlights on Sportscene last night. On the match report BBC Scottish Premiership gave McGrath man of the match which I found strange given the scoreline. 

Screenshot_20210822-133209_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

It was Will Haining who was red carded and the game finished 1-0 but apart from that...

And I think Smith played advantage, JvoH got the shot off - didn't score - then gave Celtic a penalty and red carded Haining.

Appalling decision, but as IrishBhoy said, those things weren't (and aren't) unusual at Celtic Park (or Ibrox).

Edited by Bobby_F

4 hours ago, gordon.kennedy said:
4 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:
When are you guys going to officially take Kennedy off our hands? What's been the hold up? He was having a medical on Tuesday/Wednesday last week apparently

I don't think the medical took place We might not be taking him as you have long term injuries. Decision to be made next week.

The decision has already been made. Nothing to do with injuries, he’s not in the squad today either.