The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

For me the problem isn't 3 at the back, it is 2 strikers closely supported by 2 midfielders and 2 wingbacks leaving 1 sitting midfielder and 3 CBs to cover the rest of the pitch. Last season we played with 3 CBs and 2 sitting midfielders and had one of the best defensive units in the League. We also played football on the deck through the sitting midfielders. It was maybe too slow but this launching the ball straight up the pitch leaves us woefully exposed when we lose it.

Very much this. Kiltie and McGrath are too similar, and neither is ‘box to box’ to play in a 3-5-2. Two wingbacks start really high, so we just bypass the middle of the park and don’t really build anything.

It can work, as the Jonnies have proved, but have to have logic and personal to deliver. 

Lots of the top clubs play a 3 at the back, which turns into a 2 when attacking and a 4 or 5 when defending. As @NorthBank points out, the issue isn't specifically the 3 at the back, but the way it's implemented with the players either in those positions or higher up the field.

I've said it lots of times, there are the players in the squad to have a decent season, and if used right players like Main - who I think is a retrograde move, and will end up with us just punting hit and hope long balls to him when the shit hits the fan - will be a useful player.

Has Goodwin signed Kennedy yet, I believe someone saw him pop into a camping store, buy a tent and asking for directions to Kennedy's house.

Another issue with our 3CBs is dropping the best one we have. We were more than fine with 3 right footed CBs last season. Dropping our most skilled CB who can pass and easily bring the ball of of defence just to accomodate a left footed CB has weakened the back 3.

Goodwin can’t really win here as if he does change back to 1 up front the inevitable cries of too defensive will start. He was very defensive in his first season in charge with 1 up front. I don’t think there is any need for sudden change of plan we are only 2 games into the season after all. There’s a need for a couple personnel changes from what has been his preferred line-up as Dunne clearly isn’t good enough & Kiltie, while we have McGrath, isn’t the right fit.

And a new signing for the right wing.

17 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Daily ranger

They also reported he was having a medical with us, at which point everyone went, "yeah, nah.. he's not"

Goodwin's very public chasing of Kennedy allows them to keep posting it until it's right.

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

They also reported he was having a medical with us, at which point everyone went, "yeah, nah.. he's not"

Goodwin's very public chasing of Kennedy allows them to keep posting it until it's right.

Goodwin stated that Kennedy was a player that he admired and that he was a player he would like to sign, in a press conference, which has been recycled in various forms.

So what? 

Anyway, no mention on today's DR Twitter about the deal.

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Goodwin stated that Kennedy was a player that he admired and that he was a player he would like to sign, in a press conference, which has been recycled in various forms.

So what? 

Anyway, no mention on today's DR Twitter about the deal.

Sure, but most managers will go, "I like the player, but they are under contract with [xxx] so I won't be talking about them", meanwhile Goodwin has been giving the "Kennedy will be desperate for game time but Aberdeen are cruelly holding him to ransom, let him go free... LET HIM GO FREE, GOD DAMNIT!" ... well maybe not exactly, but not far off.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m hearing Kennedy will sign a PCA in January but as it stands it’s just another rumour. Goodwin needs to sign a decent replacement for Connoly as a matter of urgency. The lack of genuine pace throughout the squad is a big concern.

Have Aberdeen pulled the plug because of their injuries, perhaps?

I’m hearing Kennedy will sign a PCA in January but as it stands it’s just another rumour. Goodwin needs to sign a decent replacement for Connoly as a matter of urgency. The lack of genuine pace throughout the squad is a big concern.
Genuine question, Can it be a PCA? Is he not a Aberdeen player until end of 22/23 season?

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Genuine question, Can it be a PCA? Is he not a Aberdeen player until end of 22/23 season?

He signed a 3.5 year deal when he left us in January 2020, so...

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Plot thickens. And the clock continues to count down. 12 days now till the window closes. I'm assuming we're now keeping McGrath.