The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I remember there was a point when West Ham had an absolutely phenomenal former players XI (who were still playing, at a higher level). Tevez, Mascherano, Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Lampard, Carrick, among others.

I'm not saying we're at that level, but a lot of our former players are currently doing very well for themselves, and it seems a few current players (JM, CM, EE) have their eyes on moves.

Obviously that's our place in the hierarchy - that's fine, and it's good that talented players can progress - but we have got to start to monetise this shit.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Considering his cringeworthy public chasing of Kennedy, I'm not sure we can rule it out.

The announcements made about JDH last Xmas(ish) were fairly embarrassing, too.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Considering his cringeworthy public chasing of Kennedy, I'm not sure we can rule it out.

I'd have my money on it being McCarthy's agent. While McCarthy was sent out at the weekend to put out soundbites which they hope may appease some of the support, but in reality they are so vague they only mean he is looking to leave. eg leave it to my agent to deal with those talks. 

While he is still at the club, McCarthy should be playing as Dunne at centre half is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

Two weeks today until the window closes. I'd say this is about the outer limit for us being able to identify replacement players, as Jim mentioned we would need to be able to if McCarthy, McGrath or Erhahon were away. He also mentioned us not being taken for a ride and basically not accepting late bids.

I suspect the 'no late bids' thing was all talk and as usual we're about to get utterly ridden in the transfer market.

Edit: St Johnstone are having difficulties getting the requisite paperwork through for a European player. This puts HUGE extra value on our UK/Irish players. I hope that is being taken into consideration.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Has Matty Kennedy ever played RWB? If not, where does he fit into Jim’s 3-5-2?
Neither had Ilkay Durmus yet that's who we are scrambling to replace. It's no doubt the roll he will be expected to fill as it's where the most glaring need is.

Let's give the guy a decent chance before we have him hung, drawn and quartered FFS

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Neither had Ilkay Durmus yet that's who we are scrambling to replace. It's no doubt the roll he will be expected to fill as it's where the most glaring need is.

Let's give the guy a decent chance before we have him hung, drawn and quartered FFS

Let's not forget that Goodwin has played McGrath at LWB on more than one occasion, so he's clearly not averse to basically jamming anyone into his preferred formation.

Assuming McGrath is still leaving, I'd roll the dice and try this (not on Saturday, too soon):

Tait/Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tanser

------Kiltie ------ Power ------- Erhahon

--Kennedy ------- Main ------- Brophy

Full backs provide the width (which they're doing anyway); Brophy, Kennedy and the midfielders tasked with getting closer to Main.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Nothing against Kennedy, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t become the best left winger in our squad.  Just shaking my head at Jim’s persistence at shoe horning players into a system that “might not” suit us. 

6 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Nothing against Kennedy, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t become the best left winger in our squad.  Just shaking my head at Jim’s persistence at shoe horning players into a system that “might not” suit us. 

If Goodwin is stubborn enough to persist with this 3 at the back nonsense, then ultimately that will be his downfall. He seems to be the only one who thinks we have the players to make that system work.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

If Goodwin is stubborn enough to persist with this 3 at the back nonsense, then ultimately that will be his downfall. He seems to be the only one who thinks we have the players to make that system work.

Better to go 4=5=1 or 4=4=2

12 hours ago, AW saint said:

Better to go 4=5=1 or 4=4=2

Yup. folk going on about the changes at the **** seem to over look the fact that 3-5-2 has been ditched for 4-3-3.  Definitely think 3-5-2 is not working for us. I get that Goodwin wants to play two strikers an thinks that's the only way he can do it but with Main we have a striker that can play upfront on his own. 

2 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Yup. folk going on about the changes at the **** seem to over look the fact that 3-5-2 has been ditched for 4-3-3.  Definitely think 3-5-2 is not working for us. I get that Goodwin wants to play two strikers an thinks that's the only way he can do it but with Main we have a striker that can play upfront on his own. 

I feel like he tried 4-3-3 once and binned it, but he did so with Lee Erwin in the wide left position. Per my post up the page, I reckon Brophy could do that pretty well - he seems better coming into the box and does most the chasing around in the channels anyway. Trick would be to make sure people are getting onto Main's knockdowns

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I feel like he tried 4-3-3 once and binned it, but he did so with Lee Erwin in the wide left position. Per my post up the page, I reckon Brophy could do that pretty well - he seems better coming into the box and does most the chasing around in the channels anyway. Trick would be to make sure people are getting onto Main's knockdowns

Yeah or he could go back to 4-2-3-1

For me the problem isn't 3 at the back, it is 2 strikers closely supported by 2 midfielders and 2 wingbacks leaving 1 sitting midfielder and 3 CBs to cover the rest of the pitch. Last season we played with 3 CBs and 2 sitting midfielders and had one of the best defensive units in the League. We also played football on the deck through the sitting midfielders. It was maybe too slow but this launching the ball straight up the pitch leaves us woefully exposed when we lose it.