The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

What happened to Charlie Dunne? I saw he was subbed off pretty early, 27 mins?

Overran the ball in the middle of the park and got injured in the subsequent challenge. Did us a favour as we got McCarthy on instead. When fit he is not a good defender IMO, certainly compared to the 3 others we have who can play there.

We've tried to stay in control of the McGrath situation but it's fucking us now.

We need him to move on so we can reinvest/replace, and Jim has given it the big talk about not letting him go late in the window. But you can absolutely fucking guarantee that he's going to go late in the window for an undisclosed/disappointing fee. 

I also think there's the personnel there to play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, pushing Tanser up further and playing Tait or Dunne at LB. Would be tempted to push Brophy wide as a forward rather than an out and out striker.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We've tried to stay in control of the McGrath situation but it's fucking us now.

We need him to move on so we can reinvest/replace, and Jim has given it the big talk about not letting him go late in the window. But you can absolutely fucking guarantee that he's going to go late in the window for an undisclosed/disappointing fee. 

I also think there's the personnel there to play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, pushing Tanser up further and playing Tait or Dunne at LB. Would be tempted to push Brophy wide as a forward rather than an out and out striker.

I love the guy but Charlie Dunne is never a left back.

The last time I saw him play there was our SC game against Ross County (or The Great Ross McCormack Homecoming Game - we lost 2-1). It was genuinely painful to watch.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The last time I saw him play there was our SC game against Ross County (or The Great Ross McCormack Homecoming Game - we lost 2-1). It was genuinely painful to watch.

Fair enough.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We're not playing him left back. He's the left sided centre half in a three.

The three centre halves thing is certainly not working though. Not by a long shot. 

Edit - Apologies, I now see what this comment was in relation to.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

We're not playing him left back. He's the left sided centre half in a three.

The three centre halves thing is certainly not working though. Not by a long shot. 

I didn't say you were:

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I also think there's the personnel there to play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, pushing Tanser up further and playing Tait or Dunne at LB.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Not seen much so far other than the Dundee game, have we just been on the wrong end of a coupla close results - a one goal defeat against Hearts & pens against Livi are not necessarily a reason to panic but then again narrow cup defeats and that late goal we lost to Hamilton to miss out on a Top6 spot took a lot of the gloss away from last season so we really need to stop these nearlies becoming routine before it becomes another backs to the wall season.  

We were so far behind Livingston today for the first 75 minutes. 1-1 was definitely a better looking score for us than it was for them given the overall balance of play.

I've seen enough in the last three games to be concerned, though I also saw enough of a change in the formation in the last 15 then 30 of the game that we CAN play a system that will suit us. 

He needs to be flexible though when it comes to how we approach games.

You’ve brought Tanser in to solely play wingback, he’s too defensively weak to play a back 4 and he’s not quick or threatening to be played further forward. Unless you play wingbacks, it doesn’t seem like you’ve got the personnel to play a back 4 from the outside. Unless of course you return to Tait at left back and go with Fraser, Shaughnessy, McCarthy, Tait. That to me seems yours best defence?

Goodwin has quite clearly signed players solely to play this set up.

Dunne needs to play in a back 3. Tanser needs to play as a wing back. Power needs to play a midfield 3. Brophy needs to play in a front 2. If you remove any of these players from these set ups then they become liabilities.

I think hes signed Kiltie as a McGrath alternative, which seems a bit daft, as Kiltie isn't someone who I've ever thought of as a central player. For us I always had him pegged as someone who'd be coming in off the left side one way or another. Centrally he just gets lost as he can't see the game.

The idea of Kennedy adding pace on the wings is wild too, the complete opposite of his game. Hes not going to beat men with his pace, never has been able to do that, never will. All about getting a half yard of pace and putting a cross in if you're playing him wide.

You lot have had a really bizarre window and I can't understand why no St Mirren fan has questioned it more. To me Dunne, Tanser, Power, and Main are all downgrades on McCarthy, Durmus, Doyle-Hayes and Obika. Kiltie will be a downgrade on McGrath. Brophy isn't someone I've ever rated either tbh, he'll end more of your attacks with pointless fucking shots from 20 yards than any defence you'll face.

Edited by RandomGuy.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

.You lot have had a really bizarre window and I can't understand why no St Mirren fan has questioned it more. To me Dunne, Tanser, Power, and Main are all downgrades on McCarthy, Durmus, Doyle-Hayes and Obika. Kiltie will be a downgrade on McGrath. Brophy isn't someone I've ever rated either tbh, he'll end more of your attacks with pointless fucking shots from 20 yards than any defence you'll face.

Quite the take. We may as well all pack up and go home then, apparently every single one of our players is absolutely shite 😂

Oh well.

29 minutes ago, Div said:

Quite the take. We may as well all pack up and go home then, apparently every single one of our players is absolutely shite 😂

Oh well.

What?

I'm saying you've signed players who have to play in a 3-5-2 to get the best out them.

Plus you've signed players based on experience of the league rather than on quality.

Its amazing the level of interest we provide for St Johnstone fans. It's hard to pinpoint why they should be so obsessed by us.

They are going through unparalleled levels of success right now, but seem to spend most of their time discussing the merits, or lack of, our squad. 

What a strange bunch for the most part.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

Its amazing the level of interest we provide for St Johnstone fans. It's hard to pinpoint why they should be so obsessed by us.

They are going through unparalleled levels of success right now, but seem to spend most of their time discussing the merits, or lack of, our squad. 

What a strange bunch for the most part.

Oh to be as good as st Johnstone. Our team now plays long balls in a 352 that does t allow Fraser to get forward and hangs out to dry Richard Tait who does not have the legs to play such a role. The strikers don’t look sharp enough and if Main is an upgrade on Obika then I’m sorry I don’t see it yet. One paced and one dimensional at present . It’s actually quite a dull watch. Apart from The goal The Livingston goalkeeper wasn’t troubled in second half. Both teams were poor today and look very much like bottom 4 candidates 

Edited by Norrie82

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What?

I'm saying you've signed players who have to play in a 3-5-2 to get the best out them.

Plus you've signed players based on experience of the league rather than on quality.

Funnily enough I'd mentioned similar on my way to the game earlier. Their squad tends to be full of guys that you've heard of, and have played at this level but never excelled. It tends to be guys that are okay but have no chance of playing at a higher level.

24 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Oh to be as good as st Johnstone. Our team now plays long balls in a 352 that does t allow Fraser to get forward and hangs out to dry Richard Tait who does not have the legs to play such a role. The strikers don’t look sharp enough and if Main is an upgrade on Obika then I’m sorry I don’t see it yet. One paced and one dimensional at present . It’s actually quite a dull watch. Apart from The goal The Livingston goalkeeper wasn’t troubled in second half. Both teams were poor today and look very much like bottom 4 candidates 

Main's work outside the box is excellent. He has a deceptively good touch, can hold the ball up really well and being others into play. There's a lot to be said for that sort of centre forward.

Main inside the box is a bit of a horror show so far. A litany of sclaffed shots, fresh air swipes and shots right at the keeper. He just doesn't have anything approaching a killer instinct.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goodwin has quite clearly signed players solely to play this set up.

Dunne needs to play in a back 3. Tanser needs to play as a wing back. Power needs to play a midfield 3. Brophy needs to play in a front 2. If you remove any of these players from these set ups then they become liabilities.

I think hes signed Kiltie as a McGrath alternative, which seems a bit daft, as Kiltie isn't someone who I've ever thought of as a central player. For us I always had him pegged as someone who'd be coming in off the left side one way or another. Centrally he just gets lost as he can't see the game.

The idea of Kennedy adding pace on the wings is wild too, the complete opposite of his game. Hes not going to beat men with his pace, never has been able to do that, never will. All about getting a half yard of pace and putting a cross in if you're playing him wide.

You lot have had a really bizarre window and I can't understand why no St Mirren fan has questioned it more. To me Dunne, Tanser, Power, and Main are all downgrades on McCarthy, Durmus, Doyle-Hayes and Obika. Kiltie will be a downgrade on McGrath. Brophy isn't someone I've ever rated either tbh, he'll end more of your attacks with pointless fucking shots from 20 yards than any defence you'll face.

Facts

What are facts? Facts are statements that are true and can be verified objectively or proven. In other words, a fact is true and correct no matter what. Here are some examples of facts:

- The sun is a star.

- Humans are mammals.

- Living things are made up of one or more cells.

Opinions

Opinions are statements that reflect the views or ideas that people have about subjects and topics. For example, your friend says that all ice cream is tasty. This is their opinion, because not everyone may think the same way, nor can it be proven to be true. Opinions may not be rooted in fact or be supported by strong evidence, though there are exceptions, such as in the case of expert opinions.

Sometimes, the language used in opinions can be deliberately emotional to mislead others. Therefore we need to know the purpose of the message or information. Is it to inform or persuade you to do something or buy a product?

Differentiating Fact and Opinion

Here are some tips on how to differentiate between fact and opinion. Firstly, ask yourself, “Can it be proven”? Evidence to support a fact can be easily found in books in a library’s reference section, as well as by searching online using reliable sources of information, such as the websites of reputable educational institutions. These sources will provide evidence for the same fact. However, for opinions, what is stated may differ across sources of information.

Facts will also be unbiased. They do not support only one perspective and present the information in an objective manner. For opinions, the author’s writing might be biased and written in a way to try to persuade the reader to believe in what he or she is saying.

I hope that you now know more about facts and opinions! When doing research, try to look for facts instead of opinions as they are supported by evidence.

8 hours ago, Div said:

Oh well.

I'm not sure if RG realises, but when he comes in to make some protracted claim, nobody cares. Like nobody cares, and he seems so proud of his stuff too.

I've taken to calling him Colin as he matches the vampire from "What we do in the Shadows", it seems very fitting...

REDJXNk.jpg

Edited by Ric

For what it's worth and I know most don't care, Callum Davidson had similar problems at the start of last season. Sticking to a set system when players either didn't know what was expected or couldn't do what was expected. Jim Goodwin is obviously nowhere near as good as Callum, at everything, but it might pan out to be a fairly successful season for you. One cup down already though so that leaves scraping out of a relegation dogfight and the inevitable Scottish cup defeat at the hands of the holders, probably around the quarters tbh.

Suppose that's successful for a club your size.