The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Fairly sure Hearts have to have a lesser crowd than Hibs because the "concourse" is smaller/harder to socially distance in.

We've had fans in the Main stand but only in certain sections, around the tunnel is out of bounds as players will be seated there. We've got enough entry/exit points that fans don't need to go anywhere near the players/media. No idea how many entry points St Mirren have to the Main Stand?

In the week that we get majority fan ownership of the club, are seeded in the last 16 of the league cup after getting maximum points in the group stage, have the best and most stable squad and manager we've had going in to a new season, by feck we've shown we've still got a Champions League level of Grumpy b*****d support.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

In the week that we get majority fan ownership of the club, are seeded in the last 16 of the league cup after getting maximum points in the group stage, have the best and most stable squad and manager we've had going in to a new season, by feck we've shown we've still got a Champions League level of Grumpy b*****d support.

List the things that a grumpy basturt’ like me or anyone else is moaning about. None of the things are the fan ownership, the League Cup campaign, the squad, the manager, or the quality of Tony Fitz’ strawberry blonde hair dye.

On an open forum, specifically the St Mirren thread of an open forum, I reckon the ticket ballot process, the season ticket renewal fcuk-ups, the 500 and 1039 crowds, the usual poor club communication, kit delays (set your pre-season watch by the annual SMFC kit launch bollocks), and maybe a few other auld’ favourites…. all perfectly fair game for discussion / disagreement / outright fcuking moaning.

Edited by pozbaird

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

List the things that a grumpy basturt’ like me or anyone else is moaning about. None of the things are the fan ownership, the League Cup campaign, the squad, the manager, or the quality of Tony Fitz’ strawberry blonde hair dye.

On an open forum, specifically the St Mirren thread of an open forum, I reckon the ticket ballot process, the season ticket renewal fcuk-ups, the 500 and 1039 crowds, the usual poor club communication, kit delays (set your pre-season watch by the annual SMFC kit launch bollocks), and maybe a few other auld’ favourites…. all perfectly fair game for discussion / disagreement / outright fcuking moaning.

Now who can argue with that? - Blazing Saddles Now who can argue with that  - quickmeme

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Well that puts the smisa romour to the garbage 🗑.  Fingers crossed for the third time. 

As I said, shit stirring by the usual clowns that try to put the club that they "support" in a bad light. You wonder why people like that bother.

Looks like a modicum of organisation has broken out regarding match attendance.

I can't make the Hearts game, so, if a ballot is required for the Fakes game, it means that I've got a better chance of attending.

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As I said, shit stirring by the usual clowns that try to put the club that they "support" in a bad light. You wonder why people like that bother.

Looks like a modicum of organisation has broken out regarding match attendance.

I can't make the Hearts game, so, if a ballot is required for the Fakes game, it means that I've got a better chance of attending.

I'm desperate for a day out to the football but so are all our fans. The fact I can watch it on smtv is a comfort.  

I just hope the club get it right and (restrictions pending!) those who don’t get the Hearts game go to the front of the queue for the next home game. Exactly what should have happened with the cup games! 

Surely the Hearts game is going to be the last with the ballot?
We are meant to be back to ‘normal’ on the 9th of August.

21 hours ago, ATLIS said:

This is apparently a rule for all clubs in Scotland. They're required to have the main stand clear of fans to allow players to safely socially distance and to allow the club a safe space in which they can carry out activities related to the club while minimalising the risk of COVID. St Mirren will have had zero say in the matter, neither have we or any other club.

We are allowed to have fans in our main stand against Ayr on Monday night.

Could it just be that teams with tinpot ten row main stands leave social distancing pretty well fucked?
Stenhousemuir had fans in their main stand when they played us. Doubt it was more than 10 rows with access more limited than we have.

As has already been pointed out, for the benefit of our resident carrot cruncher, every club has to have designated red zone, where fans are not permitted access.

scottish-fa-return-to-playing-brochure.pdf (scottishfa.co.uk)

I don't know if every council does it, but Renfrewshire Council has at least one observer at each game ensuring that there are no breaches of the protocols. If we have designated the entire Main stand as red zone, then no fans are permitted. 

However, surely given our up to date stadium design, unlike other club's 80's/90's rusting white elephants, we could allow access to the first couple of sections on each side of the main stands.

image.png.8b24750ebedf832478eadc1e5c359a20.png

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, surely given our up to date stadium design, unlike other club's 80's/90's rusting white elephants, we could allow access to the first couple of sections on each side of the main stands.

I strongly suspect our club is erring on the side of caution, given what happened last year and what's been happening to clubs where players have had positive tests. While restrictions are still in place, and isolation rules still kick in for those in close contact to those who test positively, perhaps we're just being ultra careful.

I strongly suspect our club is erring on the side of caution, given what happened last year and what's been happening to clubs where players have had positive tests. While restrictions are still in place, and isolation rules still kick in for those in close contact to those who test positively, perhaps we're just being ultra careful.
I've said that right from the start. Given that after the 9th there is scope for significantly larger crowds, was it worth risking it for a couple of cup games? As it is we've toed the line in both games, without any apparent infringements. It's likely we will ask for more, if required, in the future. Better to do that off the back of two successful events IMO.

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It’s summer. It’s outdoors. Four million Scots have had at least one jab. The most vulnerable, and way beyond that demographic, have had both jabs. Fans are issued staggered entry times. Still made to wear facemasks. There could maybe have been only 50-100 fans accomodated in the main stand, but it would have been 50-100 more fans, starved of football and a normal life, allowed in. They could easily, surely to goodness, have been kept well away from press and subs. Surely to Christ, the chances of a St Mirren player or sub catching Covid will come from close contact in training, sweating, working out, being close to other sweating, training humans… not from some fans placed in the ends of that stand. ‘Erring on the side of caution’. We’re mere days away from almost full domestic normality returning. This goes beyond being cautious IMHO. Am I imagining the fan numbers in other grounds, and imagining the fans in other main stands?

Yeah, but it will be down to our entry and exit points, and the route to the lavvies…. I don’t buy it. Not for one fcuking minute do I buy it. I believe it is jointly down to deliberate choices made by either, or both, of St Mirren and Renfrewshire Council just not to do it. There’s friction between both parties, isn’t there. Hardly bosom buddies. So I was told anyway. None of this surprises me, I’d have put my feckin’ mortgage on St Mirren having a paltry amount of fans in while (insert names of multiple clubs here) had got more in. The junior clubs being on a par with us is the surprise though. No hold on, that actually doesn’t surprise me either.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

That sounds like Ferguson's agent implying they might drop their interest in him and move on. Putting pressure on Aberdeen to accept the bid on the table. IMO.