The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, AllyM said:

Was it Hibs, way back in 2020-2021? Depends how you define "strikers".

That was over quick 😂

47 minutes ago, FTOF said:

image.png.b0aee573568c591f8634d8051e8fcf1c.png

FFS, shoddy journalism to the fore - I near shit myself reading that as I have bought and paid for a ticket and was sitting here thinking I'd need to get my skates on to get to Stenny in next 50 mins.

Fucking arseholes.

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

image.png.b0aee573568c591f8634d8051e8fcf1c.png

FFS, shoddy journalism to the fore - I near shit myself reading that as I have bought and paid for a ticket and was sitting here thinking I'd need to get my skates on to get to Stenny in next 50 mins.

Fucking arseholes.

I think the article will be in tomorrow's print edition of the PDE or The Record, hence the "tonight" reference.

8 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I think it is concerning about the current trend we have of players feeling the need to "open up". Perhaps a player liaison officer is required at the club to avoid players needing to open up to journalists.

In what way? Have I missed something?

5 hours ago, AllyM said:

Why would we copy you lot, ffs? Surely our ambitions are higher than a top 6 finish, a Scottish cup win and a League cup win?

If you believe Tony they are.

You can try and replicate it and you may do a half decent job for a bit but ultimately you'll fail, it's what Jim Goodwin does.

Couple of questions, if anyone knows the answer, or is remotely interested, or if no-one is arsed, fair enough…

Anyone tried clicking on any of the ‘retail’ buttons on the official website? Absolutely nothing. When does Pro Pitch Retail start up?

Second one I asked a while ago. With Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs all asking tor, and getting, increased fan numbers for imminent home Euro qualifiers - my understanding is that SMFC haven’t made an approach to the authorities for increased numbers at any affected home games at the SMiSA Paisley Twenny Twenny Wan Theatre of Bad Dreams. Anyone heard anything?

No? Ach, shite, back to repeats of Bullseye on Challenge again then.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Couple of questions, if anyone knows the answer, or is remotely interested, or if no-one is arsed, fair enough…

Anyone tried clicking on any of the ‘retail’ buttons on the official website? Absolutely nothing. When does Pro Pitch Retail start up?

Second one I asked a while ago. With Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs all asking tor, and getting, increased fan numbers for imminent home Euro qualifiers - my understanding is that SMFC haven’t made an approach to the authorities for increased numbers at any affected home games at the SMiSA Paisley Twenny Twenny Wan Theatre of Bad Dreams. Anyone heard anything?

You can't beat a bit of bully

Jim's comments about McAllister are interesting; they show (as I've been saying for a few weeks now...) how unlikely we are to be going in for any more wingers. 

Goodwin says McCallister is still a ‘big player’ for him, although he won’t stand in the way of any player if they want to leave: “I don’t know how that made its way out to the press last week. Kyle has got a year left on his contract here. We are playing a system now that, being honest, I didn’t bring Kyle in to play.

“We’re playing a back three with wing backs, but Kyle is still a big player for us. He had the most assists of any player for us last year. It was probably Kyle’s most successful season in terms of his fitness and availability. He’s always had little niggles and injuries.  He’s lost a lot of weight.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Are you the script writer for Gary Tank Commander ? 

57 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jim's comments about McAllister are interesting; they show (as I've been saying for a few weeks now...) how unlikely we are to be going in for any more wingers. 

Fair point. He did say we need more pace so wonder what areas he is looking at. I reckon McGrath will be off and I know Kiltie is a potential replacement but we will need to add further quality in the last 3rd. 

It is also good he is bringing in players to suit a system rather than sign a load of players and shoe horning them in.  Alex Rae style of management

26 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Fair point. He did say we need more pace so wonder what areas he is looking at. I reckon McGrath will be off and I know Kiltie is a potential replacement but we will need to add further quality in the last 3rd. 

It is also good he is bringing in players to suit a system rather than sign a load of players and shoe horning them in.  Alex Rae style of management

I guess having an extra option at LWB wouldn't go amiss, but people have pointed out Dunne's pace and maybe he could fill in at LB if Tanser was out. Based on line-ups so far it seems Henderson could be in with a shout at starting at RWB, which will be interesting - especially if it means one or both of Fraser and Tait are potentially missing out.

You're right, though - hard to see where you could squeeze pace into that squad in any meaningful way (ie in a player that's actually worth having). 

I know the point was made - and debated - about the strength of our squad vs previous strong years, but I honestly can't remember us having this much solid depth right through all the replacements.

Team 1 (3-5-2) :

------------------------- Alnwick ---------------------------

------------- Fraser - Shaughnessy - Dunne -----------

--Henderson ------ Power - Erhahon ------------ Tanser ------

-------------------------- McGrath --------------------------

----------------------- Main - Brophy -------------------

Team 2 (4-3-1-2) :

----------------- Lyness --------------------

Flynn - McCarthy - Finlayson - Tait

----- Kiltie - MacPherson - Reid -------

----------------- McAllister -------------------

------------Dennis - Erwin--------------

If Team 2 was our first choice all season long, we'd be in trouble, but it's very far from disastrous and shows the depth we've got now.

Edited by Coventry Saint

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In what way? Have I missed something?

15 hours ago, AW saint said:

Was wondering that myself

I think he was joking because footballers don't seem to "say" anything anymore - instead they "reveal", "open up", "insist" and "admit" things on a regular basis.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think he was joking because footballers don't seem to "say" anything anymore - instead they "reveal", "open up", "insist" and "admit" things on a regular basis.

I reckon anything that footballers do say in any given interview with the gutter Press, will be completely rehashed into whatever agenda they require for maximum click bait.