The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just had a wee look at the Raith Rovers thread, there is unanimous love for Hendry, all sad to see him leave, several with comments along the line of him being their best player in years. One said he’d heard a rumour he was most likely heading to Motherwell, they beat us to a midfielder last year so we’ll need to wait and see.

1 minute ago, McG said:

Hendry is going to hibs, massive hibs fan too.

Perfect fit for their "chuck everything at a brick wall, leave acres of space in behind" tactics under Ross.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was just thinking they needed more midfielders. 

I think it's time we brought Stevie Mallan home.

I've been going on about it for ages, but I just think someone like Stevie Mallan would be such a good fit for us right now. We miss a wee bit of spark and creativity in the midfeild.

I get why people think we need an enforcer, but I don't think we do. I think our problems in midfeild last season was that you had two from JDH, MacPherson and Erhahon in there practically standing on top of each other. Need someone to push the midfeild up the park a bit, more than someone else to stand in front of the defence.

It would be great to have Mallan’s creativity but I’d rather we found a Goodwin/Aber/Shuggie clone.  Our midfield desperately needs an experienced enforcer. 
Get JDH Tae f**k as offer has been there for ages, get Mallan for a creative role in his place and get a Goodwin/Shuggie/Aber style player and I think we are way more improved on last season.

I get why people think we need an enforcer, but I don't think we do. I think our problems in midfeild last season was that you had two from JDH, MacPherson and Erhahon in there practically standing on top of each other. Need someone to push the midfeild up the park a bit, more than someone else to stand in front of the defence.
Totally agree. JDH and Ethan sit far too deep leaving acres of space in front of them as the wide men are too wide leaving McGrath on his own to cover the middle of the park and support the strikers. Change the formation or the tactics.

And I would not have Ethan as the only defensive midfielder as he keeps losing the runners and watches whoever has the ball.

I would just love it if we had McGrath/Kiltie as your attacking midfielder, need a box to box or creative mid like Mallan maybe, then just a hard nut. It would allow us real flexibility with players and formations I feel.