The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He could be a star in the making. Wonder if anyone will sign tomorrow

Fingers crossed.  Makes me wonder if McGrath is moving on £ £ £. Want him to stay please.  That's only speculation from me. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I can see us signing Hendry and I hope we do. Lafferty I can't see given how many strikers we have already on the wage bill so we are going to add another on the clubs highest wage ? Not a chance. 

We will almost certainly sign another striker. We currently have 4 in Brophy, Main, Dennis and Erwin. 

Goodwin has been on record in the past saying he prefers to go with a pool of 5 strikers. I also get a feeling with the arrival of Main, Erwin's role has become a bit redundant and might be surplus to requirements. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We will almost certainly sign another striker. We currently have 4 in Brophy, Main, Dennis and Erwin. 

Goodwin has been on record in the past saying he prefers to go with a pool of 5 strikers. I also get a feeling with the arrival of Main, Erwin's role has become a bit redundant and might be surplus to requirements. 

Did not realise one more is due in. Won't write what I'm thinking make a c.u.n.t of myself 😜

43 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So if Erwin goes that would mean 2 more strikers in?

Or maybe Lewis Jamieson up from the academy.

Jamieson was part of the first XI last season before being loaned out. He's out of contract and has still to sign an offered year long contract.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Who else were after Kiltie - apart from St Johnstone? 

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Was thinking that as well. "one of the most sought after premier league players" is a hell of a stretch.

Only teams linked were us and Bolton.

I know it comes across as salty and St Mirren fans won't believe me, but we weren't even trying to sign him as a starter, we're just needing someone who can fill in for/help out Wotherspoon, as he carried the creative load almost singlehandedly last season.

Hendry is a player most of the league would want though, tbf. Again though, there's a question of where he fits into a lot of sides. He reminds me of Alston in terms of not having a set role, and performing well in the lower leagues as the team he's in is built around him to hide his flaws and promote his strengths.

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah I think if Jamieson signs his deal on the table, he'd be around squads this season. 

Erwin away isn't a rumour by the way, it's just my own personal feeling. Don't know where there's a space for him now. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

No doubt he's a half decent player but - I can't stress this enough - the boys on The Terrace are not worth listening to. 

Id have to agree with you on that one, they don’t half talk some amount of garbage on the Terrace. 

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

JDH has been given a signing deadline to stay with Saints. 

About time, tbh. I think we've given him as long as he can reasonably expect.

In reality, I think the club knows he's away and this 'deadline' is just to show there's an offer there and we're not just twiddling our thumbs while he decides.

Just now, Biscuits said:

You’ve taken that too far

I mean it technically is - we offered him a contract in late December/early January and he's been humming and hawwing over it for six months.

He's maybe not nearly as in demand as he and his agent seem to think he would be?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean it technically is - we offered him a contract in late December/early January and he's been humming and hawwing over it for six months.

He's maybe not nearly as in demand as he and his agent seem to think he would be?

Isn't this how he ended up being a free agent last autumn? Kid needs fresh advice.

If he does sign on, it better be a two year deal. Can't be arsed going through this again.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Isn't this how he ended up being a free agent last autumn? Kid needs fresh advice.

If he does sign on, it better be a two year deal. Can't be arsed going through this again.

He's a good player - potentially very good but yeah I'd not be moving Heaven and Earth to keep someone who is only hanging about cos they don't have a better offer. 

I am fully OK with a player keeping their options open as is their prerogative but it has been clear since January that he's out of contract and non-committal. We shouldn't be delaying our own plans any longer than necessary to accommodate. If the contract had been on the table for a week or two, I'd have a degree of sympathy but they've known what's on offer for a very long time.

I'd like JDH to stay because I think he's got a lot of potential and we saw that last season. He had his ups and downs, and his form definitely dropped significantly at an unfortunate time when we probably needed him the most, but you can see there is something there. It's probably not worth getting fucked about or pushing the boat out massively for, but I think he'll go on to have a good career.

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Looks like no signing today

I’m surprised there’s been no season ticket announcements this week as well. 

Tanser was announced quite late in the day so still an outside chance