The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Not a bad thing that names are being kept on the quiet.

The Kiltie and Tanser signings were just very small mutterings that we were offering contracts to them but I don't think anyone actually realised how close we were to signing either until they were unveiled.

17 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:
New signing but I don’t have any name.

I would love a Shuggie or Goodwin style central defensive midfielder. Think it's what we really miss and feel it is a role they tried to get JDH to play, and that's not his style. I would hope Goodwin could spot a Goodwin style player.

Yeah. A proper niggly, nasty b*****d. We get done, repeatedly, by teams who have them.

25 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
35 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:
New signing but I don’t have any name.

I would love a Shuggie or Goodwin style central defensive midfielder. Think it's what we really miss and feel it is a role they tried to get JDH to play, and that's not his style. I would hope Goodwin could spot a Goodwin style player.

Exactly the type of player we need. 

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

I wonder if it’s the boy from Raith as a JDH replacement? 

Regan Hendry would be an excellent choice and IMO the only realistic holding mid available in Scottish football just now who would do a job for us. 

Even at that though, is he not more box to box? I've said for years that we need a Steven Thomson type centre mid who gets his hands dirty at both ends of the park. 

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Regan Hendry would be an excellent choice and IMO the only realistic holding mid available in Scottish football just now who would do a job for us. 

Even at that though, is he not more box to box? I've said for years that we need a Steven Thomson type centre mid who gets his hands dirty at both ends of the park. 

Yeah, Hendry is absolutely miles away from Gogic, and less defensively disciplined than Doyle-Hayes, from what I've seen.

He's quality but he's not strong defensively.

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Hmm could it be Chris Burke

Dunno... Signing two players from an abject Killie side would be a bold move. Although their issues were largely defensive, admittedly.

Also, I can't see us running with four wingers in the squad next season, given that we don't usually play with wingers, so Burke coming in would probably mean Connolly going.

Unless Kiltie hasn't been brought in as a wide player and is instead coming in to play McGrath's role, if we're planning on cashing in on him.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, Hendry is absolutely miles away from Gogic, and less defensively disciplined than Doyle-Hayes, from what I've seen.

He's quality but he's not strong defensively.

Having only seen bits and pieces of Hendry in the occasional Friday night BBC Scotland broadcasts and the play-off games he looks to me like someone that fans would need to have a fair bit of patience with initially. No doubt that he looks good technically but with the way he looks to play the game I could see him getting caught out a fair bit and there could definitely be an adjustment period making the step up.

I'd be fucking terrified at him trying to play the same way against Premiership midfields week in, week out.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Having only seen bits and pieces of Hendry in the occasional Friday night BBC Scotland broadcasts and the play-off games he looks to me like someone that fans would need to have a fair bit of patience with initially. No doubt that he looks good technically but with the way he looks to play the game I could see him getting caught out a fair bit and there could definitely be an adjustment period making the step up.

I'd be fucking terrified at him trying to play the same way against Premiership midfields week in, week out.

Yeah he's clearly quality but there's always a bit of fear that someone like him is a "system player", if that makes sense.

Raith were built to allow him freedom to do whatever he wants, and get on the ball as much as possible, so he clearly stands out.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Some Saints players are given tonnes of patience, but most, frankly, aren't. To be fair, we've rarely been in a position to take time with players. I kinda feel like we may be there now, and if a player such as Henry was brought in with the right billing, then he'd be afforded that understanding. Maybe.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah he's clearly quality but there's always a bit of fear that someone like him is a "system player", if that makes sense.

Raith were built to allow him freedom to do whatever he wants, and get on the ball as much as possible, so he clearly stands out.

We had a fair few players (ie pretty much the whole squad) who looked great in a dynamic Saints team in 17-18 and who simply weren't up to the task in the top flight. Cammy Smith probably the ultimate example. I guess it's something we'd have to take into account.

All this being entirely hypothetical, of course: I understand there'd be a fair bit of competition for him.