The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I would only ever play him as a wing back. He's woeful against the majority of wingers in this division. Boyle and Burke both tied him in knots regularly, and Forrest bagging 4 in 30 mins against us was massively down to Tansers inability to judge when to tackle.
As a wing back you'll get good crosses, but he's not quick and won't beat men.
A good left wing back, but I'd rather have Durmus there tbh. You get more going forward and not any less defensively.

We’d all have loved Durmus to stay but he was set on leaving, unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A good left wing back, but I'd rather have Durmus there tbh. You get more going forward and not any less defensively.

Not a lot we could have done about that. Durmus left of his own volition after we'd offered him a deal to stay.

2 minutes ago, ulysses said:

We’d all have loved Durmus to stay but he was set on leaving, unfortunately.

Yeah I know, and I doubt you'd get much better than Tanser since Goodwin seems determined to sign players with experience of this division.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not a lot we could have done about that. Durmus left of his own volition after we'd offered him a deal to stay.

Yeah I know, I just wouldn't expect much more, if any more, from Tanser than you were getting from Durmus.

Much better wing back than left back as all his best attributes are attacking ones. He’s a bit of shitebag defensively and often struggles 1 on 1 against the better wingers in the league but having 3 centre backs to help cover definitely helps him. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I know, I just wouldn't expect much more, if any more, from Tanser than you were getting from Durmus.

I mean, Durmus was an out-and-out winger who occasionally played as a wing-back and looked a bit like a fish out of water back there.

I don't think it's fair to really compare either to the other.

Edited by djchapsticks

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, Durmus was an out-and-out winger who occasionally played as a wing-back and looked a bit like a fish out of water back there.

I don't think it's fair to really compare either to the other.

Did they not both play the majority of the season at wing back?

From what I saw of Durmus he was decent defensively. His clearance from Rooney at the back post in the Semi is not something you'll get from Tanser.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did they not both play the majority of the season at wing back?

From what I saw of Durmus he was decent defensively. His clearance from Rooney at the back post in the Semi is not something you'll get from Tanser.

Durmus? Barely played wing back at all until the last couple of months. He was much, much further up the pitch. We generally had Tait out in the left wing back area and Mason played there a bit until he got injured. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Durmus? Barely played wing back at all until the last couple of months. He was much, much further up the pitch. We generally had Tait out in the left wing back area and Mason played there a bit until he got injured. 

Fair dues, I know you didn't play 3-5-2 all season but felt he played LWB when you did, its not something I've spent much time actually looking into, tbf.

Be interesting to see how Tanser gets on, tbh, and how Goodwin uses him. 

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly, the 2014/15 season is one of the worst I've ever seen as a Saints fan in terms of entertainment. Genuinely felt like we just tried to slog a 0-0 every single week.

At least you stayed in the league after winning the cup which gave you the platform to win two more. If you win nothing for the next couple of decades you shouldn’t complain, you are the only generation of fake fans to ever see your team win a cup. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair dues, I know you didn't play 3-5-2 all season but felt he played LWB when you did, its not something I've spent much time actually looking into, tbf.

Be interesting to see how Tanser gets on, tbh, and how Goodwin uses him. 

I don't think he will use him that often if we go 4 at the back. Tait is a really strong defender and more than capable to come across there when needed. 

I'm liking St Mirren's transfer process this season. Picking up some players that other Prem clubs would have kept but probably overpaying them.

Keeps it tasty and lots of potential banter and GIRUY's if you do well and potential for the opposite to be the case as well.

Well in.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think he will use him that often if we go 4 at the back. Tait is a really strong defender and more than capable to come across there when needed. 

Presumably that confirms you'll mostly be playing 3-5-2 then.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably that confirms you'll mostly be playing 3-5-2 then.

I think the signing of Dunne also points to that. Shaughnessy had been shoe horned into the left sided centre half as w head no natural left footer. 

Tenser is a good signing for St Mirren as he is a decent enough attacking wing back. But you will need a player like Booth for the games when you are playing against a winger with a bit of pace as he had been found lacking on many occasions.....O'Hallaron would destroy him.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

Big credit to the board for backing Goodwin. Impressive days business with 3 decent signings. Kiltie for me is pick of the bunch. Another couple of quality players and we should be looking good to start the season.