The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Decent backup signing if it goes through. Brophy and Dennis will obviously be first picks and both of them could do with a “wrecking ball” strike partner, Brophy in particular. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Main will be a good signing for you, IMO. He will add more to the team than Brophy. 

Now... that is the sort of cutting edge, insightful comment that we've missed from the Dundee boys over these last few years. It's no coincidence they are referred to as "funsters".

As for Main, if there is any truth in the rumour, then you have to admire the courage of Goodwin to sign a player that could easily see him out of a job. So far he's signed Obika, Morais, Jakubiak, Chabbi, Dennis, Erwin, Quaner and Brophy. It's fair to say that of those, Obika has been the most successful, and even then he barely scraped into the double figures. Another failure up front, and Main would absolutely fit that description, I'd expect a month or two into the season and we're still struggling to score then the fans will be considerably vocal regarding the addition. If the rumour is true of course, all we can do just now is cross our fingers and hope that other teams are more blinkered than Goodwin is.

20 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There might be a specific reason why Lewis Ferguson has never won anything in Irish football. Odd comparison.

Weird comment as it wasn't suggested Ferguson played football in Ireland.

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

As for Main, if there is any truth in the rumour, then you have to admire the courage of Goodwin to sign a player that could easily see him out of a job. So far he's signed Obika, Morais, Jakubiak, Chabbi, Dennis, Erwin, Quaner and Brophy. It's fair to say that of those, Obika has been the most successful, and even then he barely scraped into the double figures. Another failure up front, and Main would absolutely fit that description, I'd expect a month or two into the season and we're still struggling to score then the fans will be considerably vocal regarding the addition. If the rumour is true of course, all we can do just now is cross our fingers and hope that other teams are more blinkered than Goodwin is.

That's the pool you're in. It was yourself saying you can do better than Lafferty (a player who out scores every player you've signed). Your own fans - rightly - laughed at you. 

I reiterate, Main would be a decent signing for a club that will be fighting it out at the bottom of the league. He will bring more to your play than Brophy, thems just be Dem apples, bro. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

Most of those options listed are a far cry from the options Goodwin had when he took over/the season before. He has improved our attacking options since taking over. He has however employed somewhat defensive tactics, especially in his first season, which hasn't particularly allowed the strikers to do their thing. I would say that probably makes Obika's goal return more impressive all things considered rather than scraping by. Dennis & Brophy have been unlucky with injury since joining - both of them staying fit for next season will be very important for us. 

He had to start from scratch with strikers as we only had Mullen, who while is a decent player isn't consistent enough, & Cooke, who was at best a centre half. I don't think the signing of Main is one that will start the Goodwin out campaign. 

Looks like Main will be signing shortly going by the official Twitter account.

Meh. Like people have said, if he’s signing not to be our main goal threat but as a pressing forward then it makes sense. Brophy will be our main (no pun intended) striker you’d think.

19 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:
You literally compared the two players while listing the trophies McGrath had won in Ireland?

I was comparing experience and successes which McGrath wins hands down. But you knew that.

Success. Playing in Ireland. As I said there's a reason Lewis Ferguson hasn't played in Ireland to win any of the trophies there.

Just spoke to my mate from work who is a huge Shrewsbury fan and he really likes Main and said their fans wanted to keep him.

Basically said the same as the Motherwell fans on here, hard working, presses well, never stops running, holds the ball up well, never scores.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Manic Monday' gives the impression that Curtis Main signing is not going to be the only thing happening today.

I expect Strips, Contracts, Season Ticket details and hopefully another signing as well. 

'Manic' anagram. Would have preferred a 'freeky flatly' Tuesday or even a 'level stamina' Wednesday. Hopefully get some ' achy jokey leads' though.

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Manic Monday' gives the impression that Curtis Main signing is not going to be the only thing happening today.

I expect Strips, Contracts, Season Ticket details and hopefully another signing as well. 

50% price increase in season tickets IMO

Now... that is the sort of cutting edge, insightful comment that we've missed from the Dundee boys over these last few years. It's no coincidence they are referred to as "funsters".

We struggled to score all last season and only the usual wallopers among the support ever wanted Goodwin out. Strange you think a single signing could see the manager sacked.

Regarding the ‘struggled to score all last season’
We scored the 7th most goals in the league and we finished 7th.
In the cup we scored three against Accies, three against Rangers, three against Killie etc etc.
Our goal scoring is pretty much what you’d expect from a team who finished where we did, if not better.
Main confirmed. Not the most exciting of signings but I think he could do a job.
IMG_5975.jpg

The club must be trying to distract us from the Euros build up. Must admit I am 99% focused on Scotland just now, so much so the Main signing hasn't even annoyed me [emoji1]. Will probably take till September before it kicks in.