The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If we're genuinely sniffing about Curtis Main than I'd much, much rather we'd have kept Obika than bringing in a guy who is, in my opinion, a downgrade.

Definitely not the upgrade Jim spoke of. I’d rather we gamble on someone who scores more often in a lower league and hope they can replicate it at a higher level than go for a proven goal every 6 or 7 games type player. Or even Lafferty who if Motherwell get will probably see them finish safely above us.  

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If we're genuinely sniffing about Curtis Main than I'd much, much rather we'd have kept Obika than bringing in a guy who is, in my opinion, a downgrade.

A downgrade? Jesus, Mary & Joseph...

Just imagine how good you'll be with Kennedy (inshallah) galloping down the wing beating all and sundry, pinging killer balls into big Curtis. An easy top six even without that Irish guy we'll take off you for peanuts. 

Spoiler

dfgdf.jpg.5f342aa985b69145a4e6783ce20de930.jpg

Attempting to improve our known goalscoring issues by taking a striker from one of the teams that scored fewer goals than us last season would be mental.

(To be fair, somehow we outscored five other sides, but the 5-1 United game put a bit of a sheen on that stat.)

The point stands, though. Main scored 5 in 37 games for a team in fourth place. That's a shite return. He's not going to get more chances to score with us. Obika, to continue @djchapsticks' comparison, scored a healthier 8 in 43, a return Jim wasn't happy with.

I personally doubt it's got any truth to it; he simply doesn't fit our model of how Jim wants to play. Then again, nor does Erwin.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Attempting to improve our known goalscoring issues by taking a striker from one of the teams that scored fewer goals than us last season would be mental.

(To be fair, somehow we outscored five other sides, but the 5-1 United game put a bit of a sheen on that stat.)

The point stands, though. Main scored 5 in 37 games for a team in fourth place. That's a shite return. He's not going to get more chances to score with us. Obika, to continue @djchapsticks' comparison, scored a healthier 8 in 43, a return Jim wasn't happy with.

I personally doubt it's got any truth to it; he simply doesn't fit our model of how Jim wants to play. Then again, nor does Erwin.

I don't know, I thought the last game where Erwin and Brophy finally played together there was a definite hint of something that could work there...

IMO the difference between Main and Erwin is that Main can run the channels for 90 minutes, while Erwin is more "static". 

Weird bit is you've already got a channel runner who isn't prolific in Brophy, so adding an inferior player in Main is just a bit odd.

The rumours around you lot seem to point to Goodwin trying to gain more depth this season I think? Nobody linked so far (Dunne, MOH, Main) comes close to improving anything but numbers.

RG still talking like he's ITK, yet the MoH situation shows it's quite the opposite.

9 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a rumour on twitter that Curtis Main is heading our way this week. A bit meh if there’s any mileage in the story.

The bit in bold is the clincher there.

As for Main, what an utterly pointless signing that would be. I believe Jamieson is mulling over a new contract, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Main. It should be noted that Jamieson has featured just 3 times in a St Mirren shirt, scoring absolutely no goals. That's how low I rate Main, that I'd take a 19yo whose biggest experience thus far is a dozen games for Clyde on loan.

As @DJC says, just give Obika a new deal, he is by far the better player.

I don't blame Goodwin, et al, having a look at the lad, after all I'm sure there is an absolute ton of shit that goes through the gates in a hope to get a deal. I'd be disappointed if he genuinely thought he was in any way "an improvement on what we have".

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

RG still talking like he's ITK, yet the MoH situation shows it's quite the opposite.

Yes, I'm pretending to be ITK by clearly talking about "rumours" and nothing more, m8.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, I'm pretending to be ITK ...

It's only taken you a few years to admit it, but at least we're finally there. Now pop off and bore your own fans with unsubstantiated nonsense and utterly tedious pointless stats.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's only taken you a few years to admit it, but at least we're finally there. Now pop off and bore your own fans with unsubstantiated nonsense and utterly tedious pointless stats.

Wish I could reverse the office gif so it shows "yer da" shuffling the younger man out the door tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

I don't know, I thought the last game where Erwin and Brophy finally played together there was a definite hint of something that could work there...

I know what you're getting at, but it's the pressing/closing down that Goodwin wants us to do, which we haven't seen much of from Erwin.

I have said before I think Erwin will still be with us, and that he'll probably play more games than anyone is really comfortable with, next season.

We need an experienced midfielder for two reasons 1 Erhahon needs coaching during a game and 2 our very young midfield didn't have the required savvy in some games this season particularly the two semi finals. Flynn's return will help but can he play a full seadon?

Pointless talking about Obika. As the main striker he scored 5 league goals all season with 1 assist and Jim condemned him for his work rate, noteably closing down. Obika was told in Jan he could find another club so he will not be returning while Jim is manager. Devante Cole is a name I have heard mentioned but who knows which strikers we will sign.

I don't think we will sign Curtis Main. The Twitter rumour just seems to be one guy, and to be honest, if we were going to sign him we'd probably have done it last season when he was kicking about looking for a club about the time we signed Erwin and Dennis.

As a few have said, hardly any of these rumours seem to come true as hardly anyone has any inside knowledge these days. Apart from me with my Greg Kiltie exclusive, obviously.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

We need an experienced midfielder for two reasons 1 Erhahon needs coaching during a game and 2 our very young midfield didn't have the required savvy in some games this season particularly the two semi finals. Flynn's return will help but can he play a full seadon?

Pointless talking about Obika. As the main striker he scored 5 league goals all season with 1 assist and Jim condemned him for his work rate, noteably closing down. Obika was told in Jan he could find another club so he will not be returning while Jim is manager. Devante Cole is a name I have heard mentioned but who knows which strikers we will sign.

Would you like Dylan McGeouch?

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

McGeouch would probably tick a lot of boxes for us tbh.

He's only 28 as well. Feels like he's been around for decades. On paper he looks exactly what we are looking for, but he's barely played for Aberdeen since he signed. Not sure if that is fitness or shiteness issues, or both.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

He's only 28 as well. Feels like he's been around for decades. On paper he looks exactly what we are looking for, but he's barely played for Aberdeen since he signed. Not sure if that is fitness or shiteness issues, or both.

Think he had a hernia problem at one point, although, as you suggest, he was probably shite as well.