The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I would rather have McGrath in my team than the 2m rated Lewis Ferguson. I doubt very much Aberdeen could afford McGrath or be willing to pay a decent fee for him. And he is worth far more to us than a couple of hundred grand this season. If he goes I reckon it will be to the Championship down south.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

500k plus a sell-on feels about right, or perms of that including a player swap.

I notice Stevie Mallan only has a year left at Hibs and is clearly surplus to requirements there. I guess we'd not get close to his wages now.

Will you, for the love of God, stop lowballing the lad's value! <_<

This has already been discussed in some detail, and the price tag is in the multiple millions.. 😙

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

Will you, for the love of God, stop lowballing the lad's value! <_<

This has already been discussed in some detail, and the price tag is in the multiple millions.. 😙

No chance. If he had 2 or 3 years left, then I could maybe understand.

He can sign a pre contract for zip in just over 6 months. 

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

No chance. If he had 2 or 3 years left, then I could maybe understand.

He can sign a pre contract for zip in just over 6 months. 

Already discussed in some detail. The consensus of those who know about football is easily 2 to 3 million, meanwhile those who would prefer to rely on The Sun or Daily Record for their "scoops" then a derisory sum is all St Mirren seem to be entitled to.

You need to choose which side you are on, my friend, either that of truth and light, or the denizens of OF scrotum licking?

McGrath has played in the Europa League, the Champions League, won the LoI Cup with St Patrick's Athletic (twice) and 2 League & League Cup doubles with Dundalk. Capped at U19, U21 and full international. Scored 17 goals for St Mirren last season from midfield and reached two cup semi finals.

Lewis Feguson, won nothing, capped at U19,U20 and U21 and scored 10 goals from midfield last season.

Yet Dons fans believe they can sell Ferguson for £2M and buy McGrath for 1/10 of that. His performances this season have moved us up the League generating far more income than that. Keep doing it next season and he will pay us back even more and can choose who he wants to sign for in a year's time. Aberdeen is not a step up for him.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

McGrath has played in the Europa League, the Champions League, won the LoI Cup with St Patrick's Athletic (twice) and 2 League & League Cup doubles with Dundalk. Capped at U19, U21 and full international. Scored 17 goals for St Mirren last season from midfield and reached two cup semi finals.

Lewis Feguson, won nothing, capped at U19,U20 and U21 and scored 10 goals from midfield last season.

Yet Dons fans believe they can sell Ferguson for £2M and buy McGrath for 1/10 of that. His performances this season have moved us up the League generating far more income than that. Keep doing it next season and he will pay us back even more and can choose who he wants to sign for in a year's time. Aberdeen is not a step up for him.

Lewis Ferguson is 21 and contracted for another 3 years.

McGrath is 24, and in the last year of his contract.

The eventual fees they move for won't be comparable more down to that than necessarily a huge gulf in talent.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lewis Ferguson is 21 and contracted for another 3 years.

McGrath is 24, and in the last year of his contract.

The eventual fees they move for won't be comparable more down to that than necessarily a huge gulf in talent.

I am well aware of the above. However McGrath is worth more to us for another season than a token offer from another Club. In a year's time if he continues to shine he can get a better offer than Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

I am well aware of the above. However McGrath is worth more to us for another season than a token offer from another Club. In a year's time if he continues to shine he can get a better offer than Aberdeen.

£400k-£500k is more than a “token offer”

Not 1/10th.

That’s utter keech 

1/4... and that’s purely for contractual differences. 

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

£400k-£500k is more than a “token offer”

Serious question.

Where are Aberdeen pulling half a million quid out of for a player? This is a club that have been losing £1m a month in the worst parts of the pandemic and are apparently in a bit of a financial hole. I don't think for a minute that they have a spare half a million laying about to splurge on a player, even if they do pull in a couple of million for Ferguson.

We ended up with £800k initial fee and then an extra £200k from sell on clause, from a year left on his deal after 1 terrific season. You'd be looking for roughly the same for McGrath I'd say, but it depends if he's willing to sign an extended deal.

As much as we all love to value our players highly, you're not getting £2million for a guy with a year left on his deal who's free to speak with clubs in 6 months, clubs who'll turn his head and make it an easy decision no matter what contract you put in front of him.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Serious question.

Where are Aberdeen pulling half a million quid out of for a player? This is a club that have been losing £1m a month in the worst parts of the pandemic and are apparently in a bit of a financial hole. I don't think for a minute that they have a spare half a million laying about to splurge on a player, even if they do pull in a couple of million for Ferguson.

The losses have been reversed & cancelled out through directors investment & the sale of McKenna & Cosgrove for £5m-£6m.

Cormack has promised he’ll back Stephen Glass.

And there’s a very good chance of Lewis Ferguson is sold. If they do, they WILL spend a good chunk of it. 

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

McGrath is not moving to Aberdeen, he’s destined for a gig south of the border. The only club in Scotland with a chance of signing him are Celtic.

I agree.

My prediction is someone like Preston will sign him. 

But the poster who thinks they’re getting “multiple millions” for a player that’s got 12 months on his contract is utter delusion 

I am well aware of the above. However McGrath is worth more to us for another season than a token offer from another Club. 

Only if you expect him to repeat this season.

Every chance, sadly, at our level a player gets their head turned and spend the last season of their contract struggling as they tick off the days until the big move they've been promised.

I agree.
My prediction is someone like Preston will sign him. 
But the poster who thinks they’re getting “multiple millions” for a player that’s got 12 months on his contract is utter delusion 
I haven't seen any Buddie expecting 'multiple millions' for McGrath right now. If he signs the extension that St Mirren has offered that may change. Imho he can get a bigger team than Aberdeen and I do not expect Aberdeen to pay more than he is worth to us and he can consider any offers in 12 months.

19 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Aberdeen tried to sign Brophey but we beat them on contract. I doubt they can afford McGrath

Not true really.

McInnes was told he wasn’t making any permanent signings. 
The writing was on the wall then & he knew it.

I’m glad as I don’t rate him at all.

You are right though, in that I think St Mirren will be looking for more than Aberdeen can afford. 

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Reading Polworth's interview there, we seem very likely to be one of the clubs in for him.

He wanted to go to Dingwall to be closer to his family but County don't seem interested under MacKay and he's ruled out Inverness as he wants to stay at this level and is talking to a couple of clubs.

Can certainly imagine us, Dundee, Livi, maybe Saintees sniffing about.

Can't see it being us, CM is our strongest position and we're overloaded with players there as well