The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed and Broadfoot levels of eggy faces from the Saintees on this thread who were "ITK".

That'll be Random then...

Imagine being that unattractive a club that even after courting a player and offering him a "substantially better" contract, he turns you down for a pittance, at a club where they use hay bales as goalposts. Minter.

I blame the black and white strips.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Imagine being so gullible a club that you'll believe any old shite an agent tells you when it comes to renewal time. At least this one didn't drag out like Stevie May.

Did Goodwin not confirm he wanted to sign O'Halloran a couple of weeks ago?

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The only thing that Jim said on O’Halloran was that he was one of 60 odd players offered up by agents as out of contract. 

Bullet dodged in my opinion. 

Absolutely.

He's a decent player, but not worth paying Saintees level of exorbitant wages.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Absolutely.

He's a decent player, but not worth paying Saintees level of exorbitant wages.

He was a decent player 3 or 4 years back. I'd say definitely not worth the hassle or the money now. He'd have been a downgrade on Durmus in my opinion. 

Yeah, I'd be surprised if every OOC player in the top flight (within our wage bracket) wasn't at least meriting a look at some point.

MO'H was focussed on in particular for press questioning though because the paper talk had us linked a few weeks ago.

Liam Polworth leaving Motherwell, he’s always impressed me previously, although his last 6 months at Motherwell seem to have went a bit sour with Alexander coming in.

Is he a realistic shout for us to interested in signing.

Edited by glenburn bud

On 02/03/2021 at 09:23, Coventry Saint said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion, based on no evidence whatsoever, that we might go in for Liam Polworth by way of replacement for JDH. He's gone way out of favour at Motherwell and is still only 26. I do want to see us add a bit more experience in the middle of the park and and I reckon he'd be a sound addition.

😉

Reading Polworth's interview there, we seem very likely to be one of the clubs in for him.

He wanted to go to Dingwall to be closer to his family but County don't seem interested under MacKay and he's ruled out Inverness as he wants to stay at this level and is talking to a couple of clubs.

Can certainly imagine us, Dundee, Livi, maybe Saintees sniffing about.

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A replacement for McGrath when he heads to the Dons 😉

I mean, yeah he has only a year left on his contract and Aberdeen is certainly a step up but it was questionable whether Aberdeen could afford him a week ago.

Now that he's a full internationalist, that will throw even more doubt on that. I'm still 50/50 on whether he'll stay but I am pretty confident that if Aberdeen come in for him, bigger fish will too.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I mean, yeah he has only a year left on his contract and Aberdeen is certainly a step up but it was questionable whether Aberdeen could afford him a week ago.

Now that he's a full internationalist, that will throw even more doubt on that. I'm still 50/50 on whether he'll stay but I am pretty confident that if Aberdeen come in for him, bigger fish will too.

Aye probably, it was slightly tongue in cheek.

My guess is he’ll end up at somewhere like Preston.

Our only hope might be to offer cash and a player we don’t need/want. Someone like Dylan McGeouch or Matty Kennedy. 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye probably, it was slightly tongue in cheek.

My guess is he’ll end up at somewhere like Preston.

Our only hope might be to offer cash and a player we don’t need/want. Someone like Dylan McGeouch or Matty Kennedy. 

The only thing that will keep him at us for another year (or perhaps longer) is that he's a self-confessed settler. He doesn't particularly enjoy moving about too often and he said that even moving to Scotland in the first place was initially a hard sell and he'd only came over to give St. Mirren the courtesy of speaking to them until Jim Goodwin made him feel wanted and sold him on the idea.

Of course, money talks and a career is short. His dream he said from day dot was to play for Ireland and now that he's seen he CAN achieve that at St. Mirren where he's our main man can hopefully only stand us in good stead.

Not a single St. Mirren supporter would be upset if he decided after this break that he fancied pastures new as he's more than proven himself good enough. We bring guys like McGrath and McCarthy in for two things. To improve us and to put themselves in the shop window and generate transfer fees. There's a real worry though that we've been down this road before and massively short sold ourselves on a player to get a quick buck, the most galling one in my memory being Kenny McLean going to Aberdeen for £100k but there are countless others. If we sell him, fine. The lad more than deserves it but we definitely can't short sell ourselves. McGrath with a year left is potentially worth more to us on the park in a Saints top than a couple of hundred grand and playing elsewhere.

Edited by djchapsticks