Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2021/22 thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We got very lucky last year with centre halves all things considered and most games where we did play 4 at the back, McCarthy and Shaughnessy were almost always available as our paining. It makes sense for us not to expect that again this season.

Yes we did. And it was exactly the same the season before, if I remember rightly, before the shut down. Hopefully next season we'll go in with some deeper options at the back. We had a good defensive record last year but we always seemed to be one injury/suspension away from calamity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Yes we did. And it was exactly the same the season before, if I remember rightly, before the shut down. Hopefully next season we'll go in with some deeper options at the back. We had a good defensive record last year but we always seemed to be one injury/suspension away from calamity.

Did we not have a bit of a crisis brewing just at shutdown? I'm sure McCarthy and MacPherson both got injured in the Hearts game, and Waters couldn't play the next match v Killie so we were going into that with no left back, one fit CB and Hodson. Foley would have been the other CB but we had nobody to take his place in midfeild, apart from maybe Andreu!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surely Dunne is only a massive risk if we have signed him on Brophy type wages? (Aka 10k a week propa wonga)

As for as I can see he will be a back up to Fraser, Shaughnessy and McCarthy? Possibly on a basic wage topped up with appearance bonuses or a pay as you play type deal?

Can't see us breaking the bank for a back up player, it is also be difficult to convince guys in their early to mid 20s to sit on the bench and bide their time for a chance when they need to play week in week out (see Baird for example).

If we bring in another 5 players like this then I'll be concerned.



It’s the same level of risk we took signing Brandon Mason on a year long loan deal. The week prior he got a serious knee injury which had him out for 7 months of that loan deal...

We shouldn’t have the same glut of games in February of the forthcoming season but Dunne would’ve been a good option to have this season to at least give us more options.

Disappointing to see Durmus leave but understandable given the past 18 months. He was a really good player, Goodwin will do well to find a replacement of a similar calibre.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah pretty sad to see Durmus gone - get a whiff that Jim doesn't 100% believe that he's headed home given that quote.

Quote

Ilkay has decided that he wants to go home and it’s unlikely that he will be in Scotland at the start of next season. He certainly won’t be wearing a St Mirren strip unfortunately

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm very much 'meh' about Connolly staying. 

He doesn't create enough consistently for me. On his day he's as fast as shit off a stick but you generally know in the first couple of minutes if he's on it or not and more often, he's ineffective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm very much 'meh' about Connolly staying. 

He doesn't create enough consistently for me. On his day he's as fast as shit off a stick but you generally know in the first couple of minutes if he's on it or not and more often, he's ineffective. 

I guess Durmus leaving has increased Connolly's stock slightly. I think we're aiming for as little churn in the squad as possible.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah pretty sad to see Durmus gone - get a whiff that Jim doesn't 100% believe that he's headed home given that quote.

 

He’s not definitely heading home, a few teams in for him from here offering a lot more than we were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, McG said:

He’s not definitely heading home, a few teams in for him from here offering a lot more than we were.

I’m sure one of them will offer a fetching range of cardigans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm very much 'meh' about Connolly staying. 

He doesn't create enough consistently for me. On his day he's as fast as shit off a stick but you generally know in the first couple of minutes if he's on it or not and more often, he's ineffective. 

Indeed.

More mediocre to poor performances than good ones IMO.

As you say, on his day he can be great, but way too inconsistent.

Needs to bring far more to the team, if he re-signs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

More mediocre to poor performances than good ones IMO.

As you say, on his day he can be great, but way too inconsistent.

Needs to bring far more to the team, if he re-signs.

Don't worry, you're replacing him with a 30yo version of him on far more money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't worry, you're replacing him with a 30yo version of him on far more money.

If it's O'Halloran, then he'll be replacing Durmus, who was on a sizeable wage.

Edited by FTOF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...