The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Good signing IMO. Natural left sided defender which we probably could’ve done with at times this season, I thought he was a decent player for Motherwell. He’s pretty rapid as well.

Goodwin evidently has a lot of trust in our head physio - he has mentioned many times. Could be wrong but I’m sure players can recover from injuries as well, 2 year deal spot on. More stability and he’s a good age.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

I genuinely can't remember, tbf. @capt_oats what was the story behind this? 

I have a feeling it was something to do with Kipré...Bread-ric.

I've no idea the context beyond that. I think it came about from some #content from a Winter Training Camp.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Good signing IMO. Natural left sided defender which we probably could’ve done with at times this season, I thought he was a decent player for Motherwell. He’s pretty rapid as well.

Goodwin evidently has a lot of trust in our head physio - he has mentioned many times. Could be wrong but I’m sure players can recover from injuries as well, 2 year deal spot on. More stability and he’s a good age.

It’s a huge punt in truth, good luck to the guy in getting a two year deal when he hardly played a game in years.

This one is a massive risk, especially the two year deal. Reminds me a bit of Darren McGregor tearing his ligaments, missing a year, and doing his other knee in his 3rd game back and missing another year and we stuck by him, giving him a new deal.

Hopefully the guys issues are behind him. Given his horrible record, If we can get 20 games per season out of him I'd take that just now. 

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Given his horrible record, If we can get 20 games per season out of him I'd take that just now. 

History suggest you'll either get a full season out him, or he'll break down and miss the whole season, doesn't seem much of a middle ground with him.

Turns 29 next season and has managed over 25 league games in a season twice.

8 hours ago, Munoz said:

When we signed Fraser, Tait and Shaughnessy we had opposition supporters telling us how bad they would be. I think I'll wait and see how Dunne gets on with us.

I’m not sure many Motherwell supporters were stating Tait was a bad player. No one is stating Dunn is a bad player, he’s strong and quick, not the greatest technically but IF he’s fit a very useful addition.

8 hours ago, Munoz said:

When we signed Fraser, Tait and Shaughnessy we had opposition supporters telling us how bad they would be. I think I'll wait and see how Dunne gets on with us.

Be interested to see who said Shaughnessy would be a poor signing.

Tait wasn't a bad player but had definitely lost a bit of pace when he moved on. Dunne can do a job at this level but it depends whether he's fully fit or not, which he hasn't been for large parts of his career.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be interested to see who said Shaughnessy would be a poor signing.

Joe is a capable player for their level, I obviously wouldn't have him near our team but that's because he isn't value for the outlay needed and isn't as good as any of our 3 CBs.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Joe is a capable player for their level, I obviously wouldn't have him near our team but that's because he isn't value for the outlay needed and isn't as good as any of our 3 CBs.

Yeah, I just can't remember a single person saying he'd be a poor signing.

In general it was just mocking him for the way he pushed for his "big move" to the EFL Championship, before ending up at Southend then back to Scotland within a year.

Steady, but prone to the odd brainfart, was as bad as the criticism of him likely got.

On 30/05/2021 at 09:44, Ric said:

I'm beginning to think this Wiki page is well out of date, as even going by their caveat Ben Gordon should be listed there as he played for Kilmarnock and County, and Killie were definitely in the top league at the time (not sure about County). Yet, the page has been updated recently for some players - for example the 3 foreign additions to Rangers in Itten, Haji and Zungu in 2020.

For those keen to sort out any discrepancies, the link I'm taking the data from is this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Scottish_Premier_League_players

You’re thinking of the wrong Ben Gordon, it was the one that played with you - neither of them were from NZ, but the one that played with you did play there so he won’t feature on that list. 

Edited by Nadroj

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

You’re thinking of the wrong Ben Gordon..

Ah, right, didn't realise. Although in my defence it was Mon_The_Fife who said they were from NZ.