The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

We do seem to be very focused on players from down under. The two new New Zealand partnerships represent the 3rd and 4th clubs we have this agreement with and one of the other two are an Aussie club (Para Hills). 

As said above, it's not a bad thing, Australia and NZ are still emerging and devloping countries in terms of football as they have other sports which are far more popular and established that I dare say sporty kids of previous generations gravitated towards. We clearly think that there is going to be a pretty significant increase in the quality of players coming through in the next few years as more kids turn to football and the quality of their league gradually gets better. So it's not a bad thing at all that we've staked a claim in advance. 

I'd much rather this than a strategic partnership with a team in the English 8th tier or something. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We do seem to be very focused on players from down under. The two new New Zealand partnerships represent the 3rd and 4th clubs we have this agreement with and one of the other two are an Aussie club (Para Hills). 

As said above, it's not a bad thing, Australia and NZ are still emerging and devloping countries in terms of football as they have other sports which are far more popular and established that I dare say sporty kids of previous generations gravitated towards. We clearly think that there is going to be a pretty significant increase in the quality of players coming through in the next few years as more kids turn to football and the quality of their league gradually gets better. So it's not a bad thing at all that we've staked a claim in advance. 

I'd much rather this than a strategic partnership with a team in the English 8th tier or something. 

Talking to some Aussie mates, they say that fitba is the number one participation sport over there now. Makes sense to tap into that market and get ahead of the curve. No doubt there’s still more money in the NRL and AFL so perhaps stuff like this is a more viable option for youngsters.

46 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Talking to some Aussie mates, they say that fitba is the number one participation sport over there now. Makes sense to tap into that market and get ahead of the curve. No doubt there’s still more money in the NRL and AFL so perhaps stuff like this is a more viable option for youngsters.

Thats true, participation in Rugby union is waning fast. It's manifesting itself at the moment where all of the trans tasman games are being won by kiwi teams. IRRC that's 23 games without an Aussie win. Also true that less young people are taking up rugby here in NZ.

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Indeed he was, I wonder if that list is only those on a permanent deal (or only premiership sides) - would be odd if that is the case because it shouldn't matter if you have played once or a hundred times, you've still played here.

I note there is a caveat at the top of the list: Have played at least one Scottish Premier League game. Players who were signed by Scottish Premier League clubs, but only played in lower league, cup and/or European games, or did not play in any competitive games at all, are not included.

Yeah, never played in the SPL  you could see that there was a player there, but seemed to lack the physical and mental requirement for the Scottish game.  A sort of Kiwi, less talented, but also less of a shitebag Alan Gow

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I hope the partnership works in both directions, it would be a good opportunity to grow some of our youth players mentally, to get them away from their pals and focused on football.

Close Season Chitter Chatter. Someone on BAWA saying we have signed a winger inboud on a two year deal. Nothing from the club though this is  players holiday season.  Wonder if Burke is a done deal can say I'm not over excited . Hearts fan called to ask about McGrath told me Hearts will make an offer.  Told him can't see it happening would need to be a huge offer.   Any other nonsense floating out there ? 

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Close Season Chitter Chatter. Someone on BAWA saying we have signed a winger inboud on a two year deal. Nothing from the club though this is  players holiday season.  Wonder if Burke is a done deal can say I'm not over excited . Hearts fan called to ask about McGrath told me Hearts will make an offer.  Told him can't see it happening would need to be a huge offer.   Any other nonsense floating out there ? 

It's God of War saying it.

God of War is a clueless Rangers supporting tool who is missing something in his life that he spends his days trying to pick fights with folk on BAWA.

40 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's God of War saying it.

God of War is a clueless Rangers supporting tool who is missing something in his life that he spends his days trying to pick fights with folk on BAWA.

Every time I check in on that place there's a different melter ruining it.

Such a shame.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Every time I check in on that place there's a different melter ruining it.

Such a shame.

Aye, hardly look at it these days. It’s like a ‘Celtic Da’ forum now.

Away from that, good article on Sky Sports with Jamie. Nice line about Goodwin convincing him to join and giving him a platform. Soundbites like that will perhaps help sway targets. 

For anyone wanting to join the free euros black and white army mini league for a bit of fun and some cash prizes then use link below. Total player cost is £50 million (similar to our budget)😆

All are welcome and less than 2 weeks before registration has to be complete for the first game. check how players earn points before deciding best formation and team selection. Transfers can be done as tournament progresses so use these wisely to maximise points total. Might not have to use pin as league is 'public' initially however may change to private if anyone has concerns over it.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/g/#tournament/league-hub/join/8954?code=EU53U7PN

5 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Age, seems an alright signing. We lacked having a natural left footed centre back last season.

Going by Goodwin’s comments it looks like he’s fully recovered from his injury.

He's not had a season free from serious injury since 2017/18.

Absolutely wild to give him a 2 year deal.

IMG_5954.jpg
‘He’s also a rapper that goes by the name Chili D’. Right, that’s my favourite player for 2021/22 sorted.
We already have four (McCarthy, Shaughnessy, Tait, Fraser) proven defenders at this level and up and comer Finlayson. This guy seems like a decent bit of extra experienced cover.