The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I don’t think it shows a lack of ambition at all, he’s given us a torrid time when we played them this season.

If he’s being brought in as a player coach which is likely then I think this will be a positive. I’m thinking a poor mans Gary Teale!

I think that shows up our weaknesses with a 3-5-2 than anything else. He was anonymous via Dundee. 

If Chris Burke is the level of ambition we’re looking to bring to the club, that’s a concern as he looked every day of his 37years against Dundee in both play off games.

There must be far better options who are out of contract elsewhere.

I would rather take O'Halloran from St Johnstone as winger/ striker option than Burke. 

There is no doubting Burke's ability. He is the best crosser of a ball in the league imo. What bothers me is he is not a young player anymore and does look tired if a game is not going Killies way. Saying that how many would take a punt on Jermaine Defoe who is roughly the same age.  Burke as a squad player yes please but not a first pick for me. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, aldo_j said:
Depends on his role, can’t see him being signed as a starter. However, player/coach role? I’d say that’s a good option, and hopefully he’s got some ideas to help us improve in the final third.

Where are you seeing the offer of a coaching role mentioned ?

Nowhere, more posing the question. 

I don't see the issue with signing Burke. His numbers from last season are more than impressive for a winger. especially one in a horrific Killie team. If he gives us a similar return to that then it'll have been a good signing. However, I don't think he or Jim are naive enough to think that Burke will be a regular starter. He'll be coming in as an experienced player that adds depth (threat off the bench) to the squad / helps the youngsters. Similar to the role Ryan Flynn will play next season.

Edited by Spam_Valley

4 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

I don't see the issue with signing Burke. His numbers from last season are more than impressive for a winger. especially one in a horrific Killie team. If he gives us a similar return to that then it'll have been a good signing. However, I don't think he or Jim are naive enough to think that Burke will be a regular starter. He'll be coming in as an experienced player that adds depth (threat off the bench) to the squad / helps the youngsters. Similar to the role Ryan Flynn will play next season.

I could be wrong here, but I would think that Burke considers his next team to probably be his last so I wonder if he would be happy in a support role. You feel that there is enough about him for one of the other Premiership/Championship clubs to offer him more guaranteed time on the pitch.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

I could be wrong here, but I would think that Burke considers his next team to probably be his last so I wonder if he would be happy in a support role. You feel that there is enough about him for one of the other Premiership/Championship clubs to offer him more guaranteed time on the pitch.

If it’s his last club then, maybe he’s not arsed how many games he’s playing just as long as it’s at as high a level as possible before bowing out?

Maybe chance to go straight into coaching our academy / youth right after playing (similar to Andy Webster) is more attractive than regular starts for Dundee United or whoever ?

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
Less than enthused about Burke. 

Yip. Seems to be based on a few performances against us, looked every day his 37 years in the 2 play off games. Also annoys me that we are looking at a 37yo just as Henderson, one of our own developed talents breaks into the team in pretty much the same position.

I actually think bringing in Burke would make Henderson a better player as he would be training every day with a guy who would improve him.

25 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I actually think bringing in Burke would make Henderson a better player as he would be training every day with a guy who would improve him.

Bring him in and make him player/crossing coach for all I care. If the net result is we actually start whipping dangerous balls in for our Brophy and Dennis, that's fine with me.

As an expat living in Auckland, I have to say that’s a pretty good move from St Mirren. The standard of football is certainly getting better and football has overtaken rugby in terms of participation. I’ve watched Birkenhead play a few times and they are a decent side, it’s a bit of a jump up to Scottish Premier level but if St Mirren can snap up the best of the Auckland youth players then that can only be good for NZ and St Mirren.

I was trying to think of any "famous" kiwis who have played over here, I got as far as Killen and Fallon then had to wiki it. According to them this is the full list, which I'll be honest seems surprisingly short considering we are culturally and linguistically very similar countries:

4nz6f0M.png

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I was trying to think of any "famous" kiwis who have played over here, I got as far as Killen and Fallon then had to wiki it. According to them this is the full list, which I'll be honest seems surprisingly short considering we are culturally and linguistically very similar countries:

4nz6f0M.png

Long way to come for very little, tbf.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

4nz6f0M.png

Wasn't Cameron Howieson a Kiwi? Scored in that game against Rangers under Ian Murray.

Not saying he's 'famous', btw.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Long way to come for very little, tbf.

I imagine it's less "the lure of Scottish football" and more a psychological thing about coming to Europe and all the benefits that has.

Still of those listed, I don't think any are absolute howlers. What strikes me as slightly odd is that when you compare both Aus and NZ, despite both being roughly the same distance from us, and again the cultural and linguistic similarities between them and us, yet Aus has had a ton of representatives in the Scottish league..

T9d7YI1.png

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wasn't Cameron Howieson a Kiwi? Scored in that game against Rangers under Ian Murray.

Indeed he was, I wonder if that list is only those on a permanent deal (or only premiership sides) - would be odd if that is the case because it shouldn't matter if you have played once or a hundred times, you've still played here.

I note there is a caveat at the top of the list: Have played at least one Scottish Premier League game. Players who were signed by Scottish Premier League clubs, but only played in lower league, cup and/or European games, or did not play in any competitive games at all, are not included.

Howieson is still playing for Auckland City who are currently top of the Northern Premier League. Birkenhead are 5th.

Ben Gordon was also playing Premier League level up until last season over here but he may have retired now.

4 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Howieson is still playing for Auckland City who are currently top of the Northern Premier League. Birkenhead are 5th.

Ben Gordon was also playing Premier League level up until last season over here but he may have retired now.

I'm beginning to think this Wiki page is well out of date, as even going by their caveat Ben Gordon should be listed there as he played for Kilmarnock and County, and Killie were definitely in the top league at the time (not sure about County). Yet, the page has been updated recently for some players - for example the 3 foreign additions to Rangers in Itten, Haji and Zungu in 2020.

For those keen to sort out any discrepancies, the link I'm taking the data from is this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Scottish_Premier_League_players