The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Surely it's not what you can "aim for" and is "what is possible". 

Lafferty is very possible for St Mirren. He's also better than Erwin, Obika and Brophy (that's the only three strikers of yours I know). 

Agree. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Surely it's not what you can "aim for" and is "what is possible". 

Lafferty is very possible for St Mirren. He's also better than Erwin, Obika and Brophy (that's the only three strikers of yours I know). 

Old and a cheat, with enough baggage to fill Lost and Found at Euston Station for a year, the Dees can sign him. He's better than Sow, Ofalabi and Jakubiak.

Lafferty is a total helmet of a boy but he’s definitely got ability when he wants to concentrate on football, sadly he’s got a reputation for diving and that along with his other previous baggage is what you get with him. It certainly won’t stop a number of clubs from trying to sign him.

Just now, Ric said:

Old and a cheat, with enough baggage to fill Lost and Found at Euston Station for a year, the Dees can sign him. He's better than Sow, Ofalabi and Jakubiak.

He's certainly better than Sow. Afolabi is about 20 and has shown some good promise but hasn't had enough chances for one thing or another. Jakubiak is a crock it looks like. Would take Lafferty in a heartbeat. 

Who are these better striker St Mirren should be aiming for, out of interest? 

28 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah... if people could stop touting Lafferty please. He is simply not worth the hassle, and it's likely we'd pay through the nose in wages if he has other suitors.

All round, a bad deal for both us and the player.

I would sign him. Better than what we have and would score 10 goals plus. 

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Based on your last two games? Danny Mullen.

It's really strange. We seem to play better against teams that 'challenge' us. He looked pretty good in those two - work rate, good runs and decision making and when he was asked to take it into a channel, he done that getting us up the park. In the Championship? Poor. Finishing left a lot to be desired and was incredibly frustrating (because there was no space afforded for us to put him into). Those two last games could turn out to be massive for his Dundee career. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Who are these better striker St Mirren should be aiming for, out of interest? 

That's one of those unknown unknowns isn't it. We can only say for certain sometime in the middle of next season.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I would sign him. Better than what we have and would score 10 goals plus. 

Then you would be a fool.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Based on your last two games? Danny Mullen.

Mullen was good last night, and the previous leg too, but in reality that was against a very shit Kilmarnock defence. Got a lot of time for Mullen, he always puts in the effort, but he'll struggle in the Premiership for Dundee as much as he did for us.

31 minutes ago, Ric said:

Mullen was good last night, and the previous leg too, but in reality that was against a very shit Kilmarnock defence. Got a lot of time for Mullen, he always puts in the effort, but he'll struggle in the Premiership for Dundee as much as he did for us.

I was more pointing out a striker who was better than Lafferty, admittedly on very limited evidence. And yes, I think Dundee will need better next season and Mullen will probably be moving to Dunfermline or ICT in January.

@Mr. Alli - see above - I was being tongue in cheek, as you've guessed; though I do have loads of time for Mullen. If he's happy coming off your bench then he could still have a role to play for you next season.

Edit to add: some folk, myself included, felt he would be better in one of the wide slots in a front 3. He covers the ground, chases everything, makes a nuisance of himself, and would probably still be good for 5-7 goals a season in that position. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

53 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Alan Power is from the the free state. He must be up there in Goodwin’s list of consideration.

I thought he looked done as the season progressed and the 2 games against Dundee really highlighted that, at 33 I don’t think he is one we will look at.

If we sign anyone from Kilmarnock then in the spirit of reciprocity we should send one or two of our academy players to them on loan as the start of a longer-term feeder club partnership with them. 

Always thought Killie were a good wee club, and I'm sure their fans will appreciate seeing top talents from a bigger club learning their trade.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was more pointing out a striker who was better than Lafferty, admittedly on very limited evidence. And yes, I think Dundee will need better next season and Mullen will probably be moving to Dunfermline or ICT in January.

@Mr. Alli - see above - I was being tongue in cheek, as you've guessed; though I do have loads of time for Mullen. If he's happy coming off your bench then he could still have a role to play for you next season.

Edit to add: some folk, myself included, felt he would be better in one of the wide slots in a front 3. He covers the ground, chases everything, makes a nuisance of himself, and would probably still be good for 5-7 goals a season in that position. 

Certainly would have been a better option for us than Morias. 

If we sign anyone from Kilmarnock then in the spirit of reciprocity we should send one or two of our academy players to them on loan as the start of a longer-term feeder club partnership with them. 
Always thought Killie were a good wee club, and I'm sure their fans will appreciate seeing top talents from a bigger club learning their trade.
[emoji23] I see what you did there! [emoji23]