The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

McLoughlin still has a year on his contract, but he certainly seems to be  frustrated at not getting a game for Hull.

Grant McCann's reassuring words as Hull City's Sean McLoughlin left frustrated - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

The great irony being that one of the players keeping him out of the team was a former Saints loan player who was less successful with us. None other than the often maligned Alfie Jones.

It would certainly be interesting if we could pair up McLoughlin with McCarthy, and see how their partnership develops at a different club.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

McLoughlin still has a year on his contract, but he certainly seems to be  frustrated at not getting a game for Hull.

Grant McCann's reassuring words as Hull City's Sean McLoughlin left frustrated - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

The great irony being that one of the players keeping him out of the team was a former Saints loan player who was less successful with us. None other than the often maligned Alfie Jones.

It would certainly be interesting if we could pair up McLoughlin with McCarthy, and see how their partnership develops at a different club.

I thought Alfie Jones was generally considered as a decent enough player and one of the few "OK" signings Stubbs made?

Mind you, I still remember his debut when he obviously came up from the Southampton academy completely unprepared for what was to come and spent the whole match looking on the verge of tears as Curtis Main kicked absolute f**k out of him. I seem to remember he toughened up a bit and did pretty well, but was sent back because we were clearing the decks to get in the players we needed, and he was easy to get rid of.

17 minutes ago, GAD said:

I thought Alfie Jones was generally considered as a decent enough player and one of the few "OK" signings Stubbs made?

Mind you, I still remember his debut when he obviously came up from the Southampton academy completely unprepared for what was to come and spent the whole match looking on the verge of tears as Curtis Main kicked absolute f**k out of him. I seem to remember he toughened up a bit and did pretty well, but was sent back because we were clearing the decks to get in the players we needed, and he was easy to get rid of.

He certainly showed promise and you could see that he was tidy player. As you say he seemed a bit out of his depth at CH and was too easily "bullied" off the ball. I think before we signed him, he had been playing mostly for Southampton under age team as a defensive midfielder. Seems that he's been played in both positions for Hull. 

IIRC he was re-called by Southampton's new boss.

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He certainly showed promise and you could see that he was tidy player. As you say he seemed a bit out of his depth at CH and was too easily "bullied" off the ball. I think before we signed him, he had been playing mostly for Southampton under age team as a defensive midfielder. Seems that he's been played in both positions for Hull. 

IIRC he was re-called by Southampton's new boss.

Some of these young guys you see coming out of these academies down south look so unprepared for the career in football that their ability will give them. I can understand keeping guys like Phil Foden under wraps when he's clearly a very good player who is going to make the grade, but what good does it do anyone to have guys like Matty Willock on the books at Man United till he's 22, playing barely any first team football?

Glad to see Flynn getting an extension. I don't expect him to be a regular starter but he's still good enough and can play in a few positions plus most importantly he's the last name on my /18/19 Championship Winner's mug.

Is the JDH offer appears to still be on the table (IIRC we were hoping to conclude it within 7 days at the turn of the year :wacko:), would be surprised and delighted if we can get Durmus to re-sign.

Oh well as Scarlett O'Hara used to say nest season is another season...

10 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Well done Jamie McGrath in being called up to the Ireland squad. Well deserved.

Finally one of our players gets the recognition he deserves without having to move clubs first.

Just now, Munoz said:

Finally one of our players gets the recognition he deserves without having to move clubs first.

This. I mentioned further up the thread that I felt there was potentially a lot riding on this call-up, in terms of showing JM himself, plus other players, that we provide enough of a window for players to get calls.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

This. I mentioned further up the thread that I felt there was potentially a lot riding on this call-up, in terms of showing JM himself, plus other players, that we provide enough of a window for players to get calls.

It's not the best sample I suppose, but the Ireland fans on Twitter seem to be pretty happy about it. Dunno if that's just because they've been so shite they are desperate to try anything! It does look like he will probably get capped though.

On 23/05/2021 at 13:54, GAD said:

Some of these young guys you see coming out of these academies down south look so unprepared for the career in football that their ability will give them. I can understand keeping guys like Phil Foden under wraps when he's clearly a very good player who is going to make the grade, but what good does it do anyone to have guys like Matty Willock on the books at Man United till he's 22, playing barely any first team football?

It genuinely doesn't make any sense. Probably with clubs having huge youth setups which are largely catered around providing numbers surrounding the 1 or 2 good players a season. B teams probably making that worse. 

Jones was decent enough but no surprise he's at League 1 and going to be Championship level. 

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

It's good for McGrath. Might lead to upping of any offers coming our way. 

10 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Well deserved for McGrath, should add a million or 2 on to his transfer fee as soon as he steps on the pitch to get that first cap. I would imagine that McCarthy can’t be all that far away from a call-up as well.

This might sound incredibly cheeky but - why would getting a call up for Ireland add "a million or 2" onto any potential transfer? 

This is a side that hasn't won a game in almost 2 years, losing to the like of Qatar and Luxembourg during that time. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

This is a side that hasn't won a game in almost 2 years, losing to the like of Qatar and Luxembourg during that time. 🤔

Over-inflating our players' values has become something of a trope on here; it's mainly to wind up randomguy, tbh.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

This might sound incredibly cheeky but - why would getting a call up for Ireland add "a million or 2" onto any potential transfer? 

I mean - Luxembourg aye fair dos.

Qatar are the champions of Asia though. It's hardly a shock that they'd beat most middle-lower UEFA sides.