The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

This is precisely the sort of stability we should be craving. Those mad 12-in, 12-out transfer windows are fine for entertainment, but absolutely brutal in terms of progressing as a team.

Yes, we may face bids for McGrath, and maybe one or two others, but hitting the end of the season with the bulk of a decent squad signed up already is absolutely massive given the social turmoil of the past 14 months, not to mention our usual haphazard squad retention.

McGrath saying in today’s PDE online that he’s delighted with his first full season and humbled by the player of the year award. Crucial part for me, was him stating that he’s settled and loves to be part of a tight knit squad.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

McGrath saying in today’s PDE online that he’s delighted with his first full season and humbled by the player of the year award. Crucial part for me, was him stating that he’s settled and loves to be part of a tight knit squad.

Yeah, it was a good interview. I think Stephen Kenny could do us a favour and call him up on Monday. If he sees he can be selected for the RoI while playing for Saints, that'd be a huge plus.

5 away so far so hopefully that means 5 replacements. A left back,  2 experienced midfielders as our midfield in incredibly young although Flynn staying helps, and 2 more forwards. If anyone else leaves then a like for like replacement but I hope the rest resign.

46 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

5 away so far so hopefully that means 5 replacements. A left back,  2 experienced midfielders as our midfield in incredibly young although Flynn staying helps, and 2 more forwards. If anyone else leaves then a like for like replacement but I hope the rest resign.

Jim has already said he's expecting around 6 or 7 in.

I still can definitely see JDH going and possibly Durmus as well. Connolly would be a good impact player off the bench to keep hold of.

I think if we can keep Durmus and JDH, as unlikely as that may be, then a left wing back (assuming Jim is going to continue with the 3 at the back) feels to me like it's the only position we absolutely need to fill. After that I'd hope we'd be looking only at improving the overall quality and getting in players that are better than what we already have, in any position.

I presume we all expect Goodwin to play 3-5-2 next season? I think we do, and if that is the case then the simple but obvious problem raises it's head - none of our wingers or full backs are wing backs.

51 minutes ago, Ric said:

I presume we all expect Goodwin to play 3-5-2 next season? I think we do, and if that is the case then the simple but obvious problem raises it's head - none of our wingers or full backs are wing backs.

I may be old fashioned but you find a system to suit your players. If we do not have wingbacks to play our starting point must be a back 4 or bring in 4 wingbacks

Edited by Dionysus

On 21/05/2021 at 19:50, Torfason said:

I would like to see Akin Famewo back as a left footed centre half. I also see Andre Shinnie has been released by Charlton, always rated him too.

Whether there was any truth in it or not, the Albanian guy Hoxhallari that we were linked with in April,  seems to have been playing all season as a left sided CH for Tirana.

Has been captain a couple of times, which ticks another box for our defensive unit.:rolleyes:

Erion Hoxhallari - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

Famewo did very well for us in the short time that he was with us. He seems to have been in and out of the Charlton team, due to various injuries. He's contracted to Norwich until 2023. I think JG would be looking at a permanent signing for this position rather than a loan.

Akin Famewo - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt 

Charlton hoping Norwich defender Famewo isn't injured again | The Pink Un

Where do we think Finlayson will play? When he joined I thought he was a left sided defender who could play as a LB too. The only times I've seen him play, he was in the centre of a defensive 3.

Overall he hasn't looked too bad, but was at fault for a couple of goals. To be expected with younger players just getting their break into the starting lineup. Will be interested to see if he improves or stalls this season.

Where do we think Finlayson will play? When he joined I thought he was a left sided defender who could play as a LB too. The only times I've seen him play, he was in the centre of a defensive 3.
Overall he hasn't looked too bad, but was at fault for a couple of goals. To be expected with younger players just getting their break into the starting lineup. Will be interested to see if he improves or stalls this season.
Wonder if we'll loan him out for some experience.

Glad to see Flynn signed up, although I'm not sure he will be our saviour next season. Hopefully a solid pre season will do him the world of good, I'm just not sure who he starts ahead of week in week out and will he manage 30+ games next season anyway?

Connolly probably sums up our team very well, when he's on it he is very effective but never get 90 mins out of him. Would be difficult to replace his pace but using him as a wing back (same with Durmus) takes away his threat in the final third.

Durmus and JDH will be away, surely.

I think Finlayson will only play if Tait, Shaughnessy, McCarthy or Fraser are unavailable. He’s back up, similar to this season. He only got a couple of games at the end cause we had nothing to play for.
On Flynn, I’m fairly surprised he’s stayed. It’s a similar situation to McKenzie a couple of years ago. As in either one of those players fit is unquestionably an asset to the team, but they’re hardly ever fit. I don’t think Flynn has been match fit for over a year.
Hopefully with some time off and a good pre season he will get an injury free season next term.

I honestly think if we are going for a left sided CB I'd rather have McLaughlin back rather than Famewo. Not that I think Famewo was bad, but I thought McLaughlin was better. He doesn't seem to be playing at all for Hull either so we could maybe sign him permanently rather than on loan.

26 minutes ago, GAD said:

I honestly think if we are going for a left sided CB I'd rather have McLaughlin back rather than Famewo. Not that I think Famewo was bad, but I thought McLaughlin was better. He doesn't seem to be playing at all for Hull either so we could maybe sign him permanently rather than on loan.

McLoughlin and Connor McCarthy played together at Cork City previously, they would have a good understanding of playing together. I’d be happy with that if JG was after another centre back.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

McLoughlin and Connor McCarthy played together at Cork City previously, they would have a good understanding of playing together. I’d be happy with that if JG was after another centre back.

Yeah, they were good together last season. I think if Jim is sold on the 3 at the back having a natural left sided CB would make us better. I never think Shaughnessy looks comfortable out there.

Just now, GAD said:

Yeah, they were good together last season. I think if Jim is sold on the 3 at the back having a natural left sided CB would make us better. I never think Shaughnessy looks comfortable out there.

I’ve had one or two moans about Joe but in all honesty he’s a very good centre back, he has his moments of madness at times but he is far better than he’s given credit for.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve had one or two moans about Joe but in all honesty he’s a very good centre back, he has his moments of madness at times but he is far better than he’s given credit for.

I agree, some of the whinging about Shaughnessy has been way over the top and I think he's a really good player. I just think he sometimes looks uncomfortable when he gets stuck out in the left back position defending, which happens a fair bit in the back 3.

To be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the back 3 in general. I thought we defended better with a back four where everyone seemed a bit more in positions they were comfortable in. We also seed to lose far less goals from crosses and set pieces with a back 4, but Jim is the manager, not me. I actually think the switch to a back 3 was to allow us to play a front two more than anything else.