The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Is he any good at holding the ball up/good in the air? Or is he more of an out and out goalscorer. 

As it stands he'd probably start up top with Jack Hamilton who's scored about 18 in 30. So ideally someone to play him in or lay it off

He's probably not really as good in the air as you'd think he should be looking at him, I always thought he was better with the ball into feet. But he can hold it up, and is decent enough at linking up with another striker.

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Sounds perfect for us then, we don't tend to rely on strikers to score a lot. Most of our goals are spread throughout the team so would seem he's a perfect fit. Here's hoping, he sounds like a lovely guy as well

He is and he is also such a positive guy.

Tommy  Wright said he is staying even if Killie are relegated.  Latterly confirmed this also. 

He didn’t say this, he said he’d consider it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kyle-lafferty-set-staying-scotland-24047114.amp

Either way, there is absolutely nothing stopping us offering him a deal. If he says no, that’s fine.

Just now, oaksoft said:

He's not great in the air and doesn't like heading the ball.

His first touch can be hilariously bad sometimes as well.

Lacks pace.

Has a tendency to try too hard.

But he's big and strong and has great feet when he calms down a bit.

With good supply he's capable of scoring up to 10 a season.

The problem is that with us he was always receiving the ball with his back to goal. He needs to be receiving the ball within 20 yards of the goal rather than the half way line. Then I think he can be very good at creating a bit of space to get a shot away.

Despite all of that, he's a very likeable player and I was sad to see him go.

All stuff I imagine he can work on if he's to play a certain role. Apparently we're after Bruce Anderson in a swap deal with JET, so could form a neat little partnership there as they sound like well suited players to play together. 

Trying to hard is never a problem in a Livi team :D Although he'd probably be getting the ball at the halfway line with us, or a long pump up the field unless we're moving to a new style. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

And I think that will be the problem.

Having said that, the goal he scored to relegate Hearts completely contradicts everything I've just said. :lol:

It's rare for him to score goals like that though.

To be fair, getting the ball at the halfway line for us means knocking the ball on to a runner or sliding it out to the wing. We won't be expecting him to turn with it or even run with it :D 

48 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, getting the ball at the halfway line for us means knocking the ball on to a runner or sliding it out to the wing. We won't be expecting him to turn with it or even run with it :D 

Obika would be a great signing for Livi. 

I hope he gets a gig back down South as I would hate to see him play against us. 

Top man.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Sounds perfect for us then, we don't tend to rely on strikers to score a lot. Most of our goals are spread throughout the team so would seem he's a perfect fit. Here's hoping, he sounds like a lovely guy as well

He's definitely one of the good guys in the game. 

I'd rather he didn't hang about up here but if he's settled in Scotland and has his heart set on staying up north, hopefully he gets a really good gig. 

19 hours ago, ATLIS said:

His link-up play is good and when forced to shoot early scored a coupla crackers for us but given the chance he'll overthink things and let the opportunity slip away.

Like everyone else says appears to be a genuinely likeable guy...

Edited by btb

10 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Nice guy. But not good enough

I think Jim's mind was probably made up around the time he was specifically talking about our forwards not quite being up to scratch, probably around the tail end of the nightmare run at the start of the season.

As much as I like the guy, it probably is the right decision. Obviously the dynamic could shift slightly if Obika starts knocking them in for a rival (if/while) we're labouring with Erwin next season. In fact, I'd say that scenario could put a lot of pressure on Goodwin, so he must be very confident in our transfer plans this summer.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I think Jim's mind was probably made up around the time he was specifically talking about our forwards not quite being up to scratch, probably around the tail end of the nightmare run at the start of the season.
As much as I like the guy, it probably is the right decision. Obviously the dynamic could shift slightly if Obika starts knocking them in for a rival (if/while) we're labouring with Erwin next season. In fact, I'd say that scenario could put a lot of pressure on Goodwin, so he must be very confident in our transfer plans this summer.
It would just be our luck for him to sign for Livi and bang in 15 goals but I think it's a risk we can afford to take with Dennis and Brophy already on the books for next season.

On 16/05/2021 at 19:42, Munoz said:

Sorry to see the big man leave. Thought he deserved a new deal.

Hopefully he gets a decent move.

Deserves a move to any team in the top flight for sending Hearts down. 

19 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jon was told in January he would not get another contract and could start looking elsewhere. Jim wasn't happy about his workrate, especially pressing defenders, lack of goals and shooting, and lack of assists. Hence Jim signing two strikers in January (unfortunately both got injured and Dennis got injured again). Jon's best work was probably outwith the box however he was in the team as a striker primarily to put away the many chances Jim felt the team were making. Great guy and great ambassador. Maybe playing a deeper role elsewhere will get him more game time but as an out and out striker he wasn't cutting it.

49 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Jon was told in January he would not get another contract and could start looking elsewhere. Jim wasn't happy about his workrate, especially pressing defenders, lack of goals and shooting, and lack of assists. Hence Jim signing two strikers in January (unfortunately both got injured and Dennis got injured again). Jon's best work was probably outwith the box however he was in the team as a striker primarily to put away the many chances Jim felt the team were making. Great guy and great ambassador. Maybe playing a deeper role elsewhere will get him more game time but as an out and out striker he wasn't cutting it.

Fair enough. I'm personally a fan of a lazy striker, but to be fair he wasn't really doing that especially well either, so happy to go with Jim's decision. I think you can see he wants to play with busy strikers who work the channels and close defences down - the win at Parkhead was the model for that, and in Dennis and Brophy we have two players that will absolutely do it well.

I'd say this is comparable (in a way) to Danny Lennon leaving. Plenty of people love the guy, everyone knows it's for the best, but we'll only know it's really the right decision if the replacement is above par.