djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2021/22 thread

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If I claimed Erhahon had played better than you expected, and MacPherson is a bit disappointing, would that feel right?

Trying to "profile" players and see if they're performing/underperforming, but without the knowledge of folk who actually watch the players its potentially useless.

I'd say so.

Erhahon has been more consistent and turned in more strong performances than poor ones. He is a real prospect to go on and have a very good level of career. A Kenny McLean sort of level career.

Cammy has a lot of tenacity but quite a bit less technical ability. I'd say he is going to be a solid enough Premiership/Championship hand his entire career.

Edited by djchapsticks

To be honest, Erhahon has pretty much turned out as I expected. It was clear he was a decent talent just from the amount of people talking about him and the path he'd come through. I could never understand why people were willing to write him off so quickly on the back of being hung out to dry at left back when he was 17 by Saint Oran.

MacPherson I would say has actually surprised me a bit more the way he's fought his way into the squad, seen off the likes of Foley and McGinn and at the moment is a very solid squad member for a team with a decent midfeild. His passing is still a bit ropy, and he gives away stupid fouls, but he's improved a lot. I think bottom to mid premiership in Scotland will be his level though.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say so.

Erhahon has been more consistent and turned in more strong performances than poor ones. He is a real prospect to go on and have a very good level of career. A Kenny McLean sort of level career.

Cammy has a lot of tenacity but quite a bit less technical ability. I'd say he is going to be a solid enough Premiership/Championship hand his entire career.

Cheers, I've been trying to "profile" players through numbers, and was just going team by team to see anything interested (I skipped looking at Doyle-Hayes, because f**k you guys for signing him). I'll spoiler what I mean for folk that don't care for stats stuff.

Spoiler

304650152_download(17).png.3449880a9b4601186fbc35cfbe4c7905.png

1686076789_download(18).png.8cfe7c68510f6a23ce6532fad4a37e43.png

If you see blue then they're underperforming the role they're being asked to play. Red means they're overperforming in that role. Size doesnt really matter that much, especially for young players who haven't played massive amounts, its really just a case of the longer ones being indictive.

So Erhahon is a playmaker who doesn't get stuck into tackles, and is playing well in his own half despite his role not really helping him do that, while MacPherson is an aggressive goal threat who does most of his work in the opposition half, but isn't doing a good job of getting goals or helping the attack in the final third.

That seem fair?

On 18/03/2021 at 09:45, Coventry Saint said:

Alan Stubbs is a fucking idiot 😂

Stubbs should genuinely be sitting in Barlinnie for some of the signings he made for St Mirren. I know there was some rumours flying around that agents close to him were getting a cut from some of the guys he signed that summer, something to do with Jamie Vardys academy, where I believe Stubbs was a coach.

As much as I don’t like to see or hear Stubbs and Alex Rae acting as pundits on TV, it gives me a bit of pleasure that no other club has seen fit to employ them as a manager after their time at Saints. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If I claimed Erhahon had played better than you expected, and MacPherson is a bit disappointing, would that feel right?

Trying to "profile" players and see if they're performing/underperforming, but without the knowledge of folk who actually watch the players its potentially useless.

I think if we are talking about the present season, Erhahon has most definitely stepped up his game when compared to MacPherson, although Ethan has had a lot more minutes on the pitch. He was loaned last season to Barnsley where he seemed to only play in their development team, and is obviously now back at St Mirren, but he seems to have came back as a better player. His fitness looks to be improved and has a very strong and athletic physique for a 19 your old guy. 

I mentioned it earlier in this thread that he is sometimes rash with his tackling in the middle of the park, and seems eager to fly into tackles when the probability of him winning the ball and making a clean tackle isn’t in his favour. I just went and had a quick look at the stats there as I was sure Erhahon had been sent off earlier in the season away at McDiarmid Park but it was actually MacPherson. He’s not had a red card this season however he has been booked 6 times. 

Must win game today. I'm tempted to take out some insurance with Ladbrokes to lessen my disappointment if the worst happens.

Don't worry cos as Bob said Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Allright...

Mix up, Mix up

Just now, btb said:

Don't worry cos as Bob said Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Allright...

Mix up, Mix up

How long have you been following the Saints? 😂

14 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Let's be honest, if missing out on the top 6 at game 33 of the season is 'the worst' that can happen then it's all good. 

Even if we lose today, our season has been a huge success despite massively difficult circumstances at the start of the campaign. 

2 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Long enough to know we have to call on all our dead rock stars followers...

The Doors. Love Street - YouTube

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Let's be honest, if missing out on the top 6 at game 33 of the season is 'the worst' that can happen then it's all good. 

Even if we lose today, our season has been a huge success despite massively difficult circumstances at the start of the campaign. 

I think this is the correct and fair answer for a number of clubs this season. Anyone of the teams who’re either already safe, or just about safe have done well. This season has frankly been a nightmare and I think Livi, the 2 saints and Dundee United to a certain extent deserve credit once again for making sure that they’re virtually free of relegation so early as it looked at one point to be a 6 horse race for bottom spot. 

11 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think this is the correct and fair answer for a number of clubs this season. Anyone of the teams who’re either already safe, or just about safe have done well. This season has frankly been a nightmare and I think Livi, the 2 saints and Dundee United to a certain extent deserve credit once again for making sure that they’re virtually free of relegation so early as it looked at one point to be a 6 horse race for bottom spot. 

Yup. St. Johnstone deserve a huge amount of credit for being in the position they are as well. It gets forgotten that like us, they had a dreadful start to the season and couldn't score goals... at one brief point it seemed like their number might be up. 

It's been some turnaround in 4 or 5 months to now have a trophy and a pretty good shot at top six. 

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We have a real chance of finishing fifth this season, qualifying for the inaugural Europa Conference League, and playing some really big names! 😃  If that happens we're more likely to tempt our better players to stay and attract other quality players, not to mention the financial benefits it would bring.

Or we could just pat ourselves on the back for 'surviving'...

Edited by Ralstonite

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup. St. Johnstone deserve a huge amount of credit for being in the position they are as well. It gets forgotten that like us, they had a dreadful start to the season and couldn't score goals... at one brief point it seemed like their number might be up. 

It's been some turnaround in 4 or 5 months to now have a trophy and a pretty good shot at top six. 

You always had games in hand tbf.

This was the league going into our meeting at McDiarmid in January, a game that felt like it was win or bust time for us...

Screenshot_20210320-090513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e504d0f69c67fb3cd838cd28a6655b.jpg

... we won, won the Semi the next week, and it completely turned us around.

Looking at that you realise how shite Killie have been since the turn of the year. 1pt in 10 games.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Fuxake Killie...

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You always had games in hand tbf.

This was the league going into our meeting at McDiarmid in January, a game that felt like it was win or bust time for us...

Screenshot_20210320-090513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e504d0f69c67fb3cd838cd28a6655b.jpg

... we won, won the Semi the next week, and it completely turned us around.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

16 hours ago, GAD said:

To be honest, Erhahon has pretty much turned out as I expected. It was clear he was a decent talent just from the amount of people talking about him and the path he'd come through. I could never understand why people were willing to write him off so quickly on the back of being hung out to dry at left back when he was 17 by Saint Oran.

MacPherson I would say has actually surprised me a bit more the way he's fought his way into the squad, seen off the likes of Foley and McGinn and at the moment is a very solid squad member for a team with a decent midfeild. His passing is still a bit ropy, and he gives away stupid fouls, but he's improved a lot. I think bottom to mid premiership in Scotland will be his level though.

MacPherson has a lot of mobility and energy, makes himself available and has a bit of pace and dig. 

Of the two Erhahon is clearly the better player, but Cammy definately brings something to the party.

Like most, I'm not all that fussed if we make the top 6 or not. You only need to look at where we were during the middle of the campaign - primarily down to the Covid shenanigans - to see that Goodwin has done a good job to get us back up the table.

BVbkgYa.png

(source: https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/4950575/embed)

In fact it's only @djchapsticks's honour at stake due to his topic title.. ;)

That said, it's a Saturday, the sun is out and it's a nice day, it's got a cup final feel about things with an air of anticipation. I'm genuinely looking forward to this. Probably because for the first time in a while we've been playing Hamilton at the tail end of a season where a loss wouldn't plunge us directly into the relegation zone.

Edited by Ric

17 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

We have a real chance of finishing fifth this season, qualifying for the inaugural Europa Conference League, and playing some really big names! 😃  If that happens we're more likely to tempt our better players to stay and attract other quality players, not to mention the financial benefits it would bring.

Or we could just pat ourselves on the back for 'surviving'...

Oh don't get me wrong, I 100% get where you're coming from. 

The financial benefits and potential platform of a top six finish is clearly better than being best of the rest but given we've only really seen one top flight season in the last two decades prior to this one where we haven't been fighting for survival and lookong over our shoulder, we definitely do deserve to give ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done this season, regardless of outcome from this point. 

We've certainly progressed over the season regardless of where we end up from here.