The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, saintmurn said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/man-city-chelsea-lead-premier-32636817

Would be disappointing to lose him before he's really been involved in the first team, other than a few friendlies. 

Get him on a longer deal and give him first team football next season. The lad has bags of potential. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Sadly, for the most part, that seems to be the way these things play out when it comes to young players with potential at a club like ours, who catch the eye of English premiership/championship teams.

I suppose the only positive is that he's under contract for another year.

Maybe we're trying to tie him down for longer. Although, that may prove to be difficult if his head's been turned.

Apparently he turned down both of the bigot brothers to sign with us.

He apparently signed a two year extension last summer so should be under contract until summer of 2026.

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Get him on a longer deal and give him first team football next season. The lad has bags of potential. 

The shite aspect of it is that it simply doesn't work that way.

If the opportunity to play first team games for SMFC presents itself against the opportunity to be on the books of a club the size of City or Chelsea, there will only ever be one winner. These clubs aren't looking at guys in the 19/20 age bracket up here for their academy and to progress to first team football. 16/17 is where they catch them so if there is firm interest in Ethan that becomes an offer then it's highly unlikely, even if he was to stay and shine in our first team, that those particular levels of club will still be interested in him in 2 seasons even with first team football under his belt. You'd be looking at English championship level clubs at most.

If City or Chelsea make a bid then it's quite literally a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't think there's anything that we could offer that would tempt a player to hang about. That isn't a sleight at us either. Even Celtic stood no chance when Liverpool decided they wanted Ben Doak.

Fair play to the young man for giving it a go at Alloa and, clearly, showing he can thrive against seasoned professionals. He certainly showed promise in the games he played for us, so here’s hoping he can make a good career for himself. It would be great to see him flourish with the Saints, but not much we can do to compete with the silly money clubs down south. (I mean south of the border, not Killie) 😉

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If the opportunity to play first team games for SMFC presents itself against the opportunity to be on the books of a club the size of City or Chelsea, there will only ever be one winner. These clubs aren't looking at guys in the 19/20 age bracket up here for their academy and to progress to first team football. 16/17 is where they catch them so if there is firm interest in Ethan that becomes an offer then it's highly unlikely, even if he was to stay and shine in our first team, that those particular levels of club will still be interested in him in 2 seasons even with first team football under his belt. You'd be looking at English championship level clubs at most.

If City or Chelsea make a bid then it's quite literally a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't think there's anything that we could offer that would tempt a player to hang about. That isn't a sleight at us either. Even Celtic stood no chance when Liverpool decided they wanted Ben Doak.

No' being wide but generally speaking how has Robinson been in terms of integrating your Academy players into the first team?

It's something that he obviously always talked up when he was with us as he had the likes of Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Scott etc in our first team but, kind of to the exact point you're making, he held off playing Turnbull because he felt he wasn't equipped to do the "free stuff" (as he called it).

Turnbull eventually made his debut when he was 18y 7 months whereas we've now seeing Hammell giving the likes of Lennon Miller his debut at 16y 6 days and we've had a bunch of legitimate school weans sat on our bench for almost the entire season.

It's something we were talking about on our thread the other week with Dylan Wells having recently signed an extension despite Leeds and Brighton wanting to sign him. I think that exact gap around 16-17 is where clubs are having problems working out what to do as the one thing that teams at this level have in their favour is the opportunity of first team football vs u23s football in the Academy system down south.

It requires having the baws to actually do it though.

Again, absolutely no shade but I can't imagine Robinson having been prepared to chuck a 16 or 17 year old in and give him meaningful minutes when he was with us but it feels like it's increasingly a necessity if you want to keep hold of them but I'd I imagine it's a difficult needle to thread from Robinson's POV with Top 6 fixtures and expectations of European football.

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's the shite side of new rules about young players.

European/further afield, youngsters are now out of reach but Scotland remains poachable for English clubs.

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

No' being wide but generally speaking how has Robinson been in terms of integrating your Academy players into the first team?

TBH from what I've seen, we don't have any "match ready" academy players. Certainly none that look as good as Turnbull did or Miller does now.

Sutherland looked decent going forward in our Friendlies against the likes of Dumbarton in pre-season friendlies, but he didn't look ready to make the step up.

Fraser Taylor, who is 21, again looked good in parts in friendlies, but he also didn't look as if he would be able to step into the first XI.

Both were loaned out, to Alloa and Ballymena respectively, where they seem to be doing a decent job. Hopefully, they'll come back and be able to compete for a place in the first team squad.

Other than those two, we're not, as far as I am aware, overly blessed with academy players ready to make the step up. Although, when we've been short of senior players this season, we've had a few academy players on the bench, but I don't think any of them have made any significant contribution playing wise.

Edited by FTOF

16 hours ago, saintmurn said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/man-city-chelsea-lead-premier-32636817

Would be disappointing to lose him before he's really been involved in the first team, other than a few friendlies. 

A local woman was telling me her nephew has just signed for Celtic from Saints youth set up. Celtic gave him a signing on fee and pay him £500 not sure if that's a week or monthly. I thought to myself what a silly move as the lad would have a better chance of first team football at Saints . She was on a high that he was at Celtic probably the family are Celtic fans.