The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Its not just us, if you read the article Rangers have snapped up young players from Motherwell, ICT, PT, Aberdeen and Millwall including the hilariously named Lancelot Pollard.

Yup, not just a St Mirren thing, and fcuk-all any of us can do about it. The hope is to make some money when an Everton, Leeds, or Southampton come in with a 15 million swoop and remind those Sevco and Sellik kunts of their place in the selling club food chain.

Still, every time it happens, makes me glad I watched fitba’ in the late 70s and 80s.

Edited by pozbaird

18 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Reid linked with Rangers in the paper today. 

Thought he was really good when he came on last night. Would like to see him get a game more often this season. 

If I remember correctly, his dad is staunch as f**k so I'm guessing he'll be pressing for him to go (if true)

Presumably he'll get more money at Rangers but more than that, the attraction of a bigger club will always turn heads. Rangers win trophies, play in Europe, and have done well in recent years. I can understand the lure of that.

If he does go, I hope it works out for him. He's got a real chance of breaking into our first team and becoming a mainstay over the next season or two. I'd hate to see him move to Rangers and spend a few years in the lowland league with their B team or sitting in the stand most weeks. 

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Presumably he'll get more money at Rangers but more than that, the attraction of a bigger club will always turn heads. Rangers win trophies, play in Europe, and have done well in recent years. I can understand the lure of that.

If he does go, I hope it works out for him. He's got a real chance of breaking into our first team and becoming a mainstay over the next season or two. I'd hate to see him move to Rangers and spend a few years in the lowland league with their B team or sitting in the stand most weeks. 

Has Lewis Morgan going to Celtic written all over it in big capital letters.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Has Lewis Morgan going to Celtic written all over it in big capital letters.

Possibly but Morgan was an established first team player. He played a few big games for Celtic and got a decent move at the end of it. He's flying at NY Red Bulls now.

Reid is still very much a youth player. I suppose you need to be confident in your ability to break into a team. He'll play games for us over the next couple of years in the first team, the chances of him doing that for Rangers are much lower. I hope he has some sensible people advising him.

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yup, not just a St Mirren thing, and fcuk-all any of us can do about it. The hope is to make some money when an Everton, Leeds, or Southampton come in with a 15 million swoop and remind those Sevco and Sellik kunts of their place in the selling club food chain.

Still, every time it happens, makes me glad I watched fitba’ in the late 70s and 80s.

I think the former are only too well aware of just how low down the pecking order they are, as they lost a 16 year old striker to Aston Villa for a couple of hundred grand earlier this summer.

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Its not just us, if you read the article Rangers have snapped up young players from Motherwell, ICT, PT, Aberdeen and Millwall including the hilariously named Lancelot Pollard.

Hopefully Reid's dad's head is more screwed on than Pollard's 

The club these days can point to people like Lewis Morgan, John McGinn etc and saying playing in the first team will help over going to reserve and age football. 

That said if people are fans of the OF and money is right, hard to look over it as you might regret not taking the opportunity should you're career not go well. 

I’d imagine Dylan Reid’s old man will be pushing him towards a move to Ibrox, going by his old man’s twitter bio he’s as staunch as they come. Could go either way for the boy, might help his development or he’ll end up out on loan deals, until he’s given a free.

Welcome to Scotland, where promising 16yo players turn down the chance to break into a top flight side chasing Europe to play in the Lowland League for a B side instead.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

The article also mentioned Murray Campbell. They have no chance with him as he mentioned the set up down south is miles ahead of anything that is in place at the gruesome twosome.  Campbell for moving it will be down south

I assume that Murray's game time in friendlies is part of our sales pitch ahead of him making a decision on who he'll sign for at 16. We managed to persuade Dylan Reid but who knows....... 

Anyway, great to see that the academy is becoming a bit of a conveyor belt and, with its newly-acquired "elite" status, should get even better.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

13 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I assume that Murray's game time in friendlies is part of our sales pitch ahead of him making a decision on who he'll sign for at 16. We managed to persuade Dylan Reid but who knows....... 

Anyway, great to see that the academy is becoming a bit of a conveyor belt. 

Aye, but it would be nice if once they reach the end of the academy conveyor belt, we actually got to see them break into the first team and perhaps (hark at my unrealistic hopes), enjoy one or two full seasons before they fcuk off before even sitting their driving test. What’s the point of an academy if not to develop players for your first team? Even if their stay in the first team will likely be brief? By the way, I’ll take ‘brief’ over ‘almost non existent’. Maybe someone will tell me an academy isn’t designed to bring through kids to first team standard, it’s designed to bring through kids to someone else’s first team, and all we are hoping for is that an even bigger team buys them, and we get a cut.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Under starters orders for the "close the academy" debate!

(Is it nearly July 30th yet?)

Nah. Keep it, but install barbed wire fencing around it, and at each corner, machine gun posts manned by Jim McLean look-alikes.